There’s no better feeling than popping on a sheet mask and taking a 15-minute snooze to decompress before waking up to glowing, hydrated skin. But there are simply too many to choose from — how’s a girl supposed to know which product truly delivers maximum moisture?! To find out, I grabbed my trusty MiLi Skin Moisture Meter, which comes as a free gift with a $35 purchase from H2O+ Beauty, to test just how hydrating six different sheet masks really are.
On six different days, I read my skin’s moisture with the Skin Moisture Meter, then recorded the data in a notebook before applying a sheet mask for exactly 15 minutes. Immediately after removal, I measured my skin’s moisture level again. Keep scrolling to read what happened!
1. Peach & Lily Good Skin Day Drench + Nourish Sheet Mask ($6): Everyone needs a good pick-me-up when their skin is parched and lacking nutrients. The Peach & Lily Drench + Nourish option includes ingredients like chia seed, algae, lemon peel oil, olive oil, avocado, and more to boost skin’s hydration levels and make your complexion glowy AF. Overall, this gave me a 2.3 percent increase in hydration.
Start: 31.6% | End: 33.9% | Difference: 2.3%
2. Florapy Anti-Aging Sheet Mask ($8): While this is an anti-aging sheet mask, one of the main claims is an intense boost in hydration levels thanks to Vervain flower, grapeseed oil, olive oil, rosehip, and vitamin E. Aside from adding mega-moisture, this mask also soothes the skin, reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and preserves your youthful glow. This one yielded a 2.5 percent boost in hydration.
Start: 34.6% | End: 37.1% | Difference: 2.5%
3. Measurable Difference Seaweed & Hyaluronic Acid Sheet Mask ($10): Most masks add moisture, soothe, and help with aging, but there aren’t many that do all that and fight blemishes. After a rough weekend, I needed a little detox for my skin, so I was excited to try this Measurable Difference mask made with seaweed, witch hazel, grapefruit extract, and rosemary. After taking it for a spin, I found myself with a 2.4 percent boost in my hydration levels.
Start: 33.8% | End: 36.2% | Difference: 2.4%
4. Leaders Coconut Bio Mask Blueberry ($3): This was by far the least expensive mask of my experiment, so to be honest, I wasn’t expecting dramatic results. To my surprise, the budget buy majorly surpassed all of the sheet masks I’d tested so far. I was left with an incredible 5.3 percent boost! The craziest part was that although you’re instructed to keep the mask on for 30-40 minutes, I’d only left it on for 15. Imagine the results after a full treatment!
Start: 31.1% | End: 36.4% | Difference: 5.3%
5. Karuna Age-Defying Face Mask ($8): This anti-aging formula features wild yam to promote younger-looking skin, elderberry for antioxidant protection, and hyaluronic acid for hydration. The result was a 3.1 percent difference in my skin’s hydration level.
Start: 35.4% | End: 38.4% | Difference: 3.1%
6. AmorePacific Moisture Bound Intensive Serum Masque ($32, set of two): Given this was the most expensive sheet mask, formulated with bamboo sap and 5-Hydra Complex (cactus, soybean, lotus, green tea, and bamboo leaf), I expected an incredible finish. This product has two parts: First, you apply the serum from the ampoule, then lay the two-piece sheet mask over top. After I spent my 15 minutes relaxing, my skin actually showed a 2.1 percent decrease in hydration. I tested it again just to make sure that the device wasn’t off, and got the same results.
Start: 36.1% | End: 34.0% | Difference: -2.1%
The price tag doesn’t always indicate a better outcome when it comes to sheet masks. So go ahead and save your dough, get great skin, and have a little cash left over for your next beauty treatment.
Are you a sheet mask guru? Tweet us your favorite @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.