Let’s be honest. Ice cream floats are… awesome. Whether you’re going for the classic root beer float or adding a scoop of lemon sorbet to a glass of bubbly, nothing says summer like fizzy bit of frozen goodness. As it turns out, the foodies on the Internet agree! Here are 20 unusual takes on your favorite refreshing summer sweet.
1. Pink Lemonade Float: This yummy summer sipper is made using sparkling pink lemonade and lemon sorbet. (via Grandbaby Cakes)
2. Cool Kombucha Float: You know that fizzy quality Kombucha has? Add a little ice cream to the mix (preferably the good organic stuff) (via Eat Life Whole)
3. Rhubarb Floats: Made with homemade rhubarb syrup, this is like a hot summer day’s take on rhubarb pie. (via Not Without Salt)
4. Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout Floats: Bourbon County Stout and a pint of caramel gelato? We’ll take it. (via A Better Happer St. Sebastian)
5. Iced Tea Ice Cream Float: This little number was created with homemade iced tea ice cream and fizzy iced tea. Sugar and caffeine, together in one creamy float. (via Brit + Co.)
6. Sparkling Clementine Raspberry Floats: (via Paper Plates Blog)
7. Classic Cocktail Ice Cream Floats: Pimm’s Cup, White Russian, Berry Bellini, French 75, and Spiked Root Beer… in float form! (via Brit + Co.)
8. Beer Ice Cream Floats: At first glance, you may think there’s no way beer goes with ice cream, but you would be mistaken! (via Brit + Co.)
9. Captain and Cherry Coke Float: There’s a new Captain and Tenille in town and it comes in the form of Captain Morgan and Cherry Coke, with a little help from vanilla ice cream. (via Live Love Pasta)
10. Sparkling Citrus Floats: Swap out club soda for champagne and you’ve got your new favorite mimosa remix. (via Ciera Design)
11. Apple Pie Floats: An All-American classic times two? Love it! This recipe calls for vanilla ice cream, ginger ale, and apple cider. So simple and so delicious. (via How Does She?)
12. Flipper Floats: For a creamsicle-style float, simply combine orange juice or orange soda with vanilla ice cream. Add a little whipped cream if you’re feelin’ sassy. (via A Big Bite)
13. Fizzy Blood Orange Floats: The key to keeping this mix the sour, bitter, and sweet? Honey! (via So Hungry I Could Blog)
14. Mango Ginger Ice Cream Floats: For a float with a bit of eastern flair, try making this homemade mango ice cream and pairing it with a spicy ginger beer. (via Snail’s View)
15. Root Beer Float Shooters: We’ve gotta give props to the originator of the ice cream float: Root beer! These shooters are a sweet way to get a bite size chocolate-covered version of this classic. (via Somewhere Splendid)
16. Watermelon Soda Float: First of all, watermelon soda? We need to make this, like, yesterday. (via First Look Then Cook)
17. Limoncello Float: Looking to drink your dessert and get a little tipsy? This recipe calls for Limoncello, Grand Marnier, champagne and vanilla ice cream. Yum. (via Cupcake Project)
18. Floating Fruit Cobblers: Okay these are too much! Cobblers that float and involve ice cream? We are definitely trying this recipe this summer. (via Better Recipes)
19. Lime Sherbet Float: Lime sherbet and sprite is all you need to cool down with this refreshment. (via Cassidy Tuttle)
20. Cherry Cheesecake Float: Another dessert that floats. We love it! (via BraveTart)
What are your favorite ways to mix up the classic ice cream float? Talk to us in the comments below. Happy Summer!
Editor’s Note: Some of these recipes appeared in July 2012 in a similar roundup on ice cream floats!