Our Cuppa Tea: 12 Creative Takes on Traditional Iced Tea
“How does Moses make his tea? Hebrews it.” – @TeaPuns
With Memorial Day over, summer has officially begun and it’s about to get smoking hot! That’s why we’ve partnered with our friends at Target to brew up a dozen iced tea recipes to keep you cool. Make sure you head over to Target to pick up all of your entertaining essentials, and be sure to check out Target’s #SummerUp Pinterest board for more fun and festive summer ideas.
First up, let’s make a super simple iced tea-infused simple syrup to add some unexpected flavor to our favorite summer cocktails.
1. Iced Tea-infused Simple Syrup: Whip up a batch of this simple syrup to take your mixology skills to the next level. Bonus: you only need 3 ingredients!
– 1 1/2 cups water
– 1 1/2 cups sugar
– 1 bag Lipton cold brew iced tea
– Equipment: Large Ball mason jars
In a small sauce pan, mix together water and sugar. Heat until boiling, remove from heat, and add tea bag. Steep for 30 minutes, then remove tea bag and place in syrup in the refrigerator to chill. Use simple syrup in Iced Tea Mint Juleps and Iced Tea Mojitos.
We love storing our simple syrup and other homemade bar concoctions in these large Ball mason jars from Target.
2. Iced Tea Mint Julep: Beyond being the favor drink of the Kentucky Derby, Mint Juleps are a southern summertime favorite.
– 3 mint sprigs
– 2 ounces bourbon
– 1/2 ounce iced tea-infused simple syrup
– Equipment: set of old fashioned glasses
Place mint sprigs in a flat-bottomed glass; muddle with the back of a spoon or muddler. Add ice to fill the glass, then pour in bourbon and simple syrup. Garnish with another sprig of mint. Makes one drink.
We know the traditional way to serve is in a silver cup, but we’ve found it’s easiest to serve them in the standard bourbon vessel, an old fashioned glass.
3. Iced Tea Mojito: Iced tea-infused simple syrup adds an unexpected twist to our favorite Cuban (and summertime) drink!
– 3 mint sprigs
– 1 tablespoon lime juice
– 1 tablespoon iced tea-infused simple syrup
– 2 ounces light rum
– Club soda
– Limes for garnish
Place mint sprigs in the bottom of a glass; muddle with the back of a spoon or muddler. Add lime juice and simple syrup, and muddle again. Fill glass with ice and pour rum over. Top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with lime and mint. Makes one drink.
Of course, you can always add a few strawberries to the mix for some extra fruit flavor!
4. Iced Tea-infused Vodka: We’ve taught you how to infuse your simple syrup with iced tea, but did you know infusing vodka is even easier? Just 2 ingredients and 1 hour should do the trick. Once again, we recommend homemade iced tea-infused vodka in large Ball jars from Target.
– 1 cup vodka
– 1 Lipton cold brew iced tea bag
Place iced tea bag in vodka and steep for one hour. Remove tea bag and throw away.
You can use iced tea-infused vodka as a base in Spiked Iced Tea Lemonade and Thai Iced Tea Shots.
5. Spiked Iced Tea Lemonade: Our take on a John Daly, we combine Pellegrino Limonata with iced tea-infused vodka for a delicious summer sipper.
– 2 ounces iced tea infused vodka
– 4 ounces Limonata Pellegrino
– 1/2 ounce tea-infused simple syrup
– Lemons to garnish
Fill a glass with ice. Top with vodka, Limonata, and simple syrup. Garnish with a lemon slice. Makes one drink.
6. Thai Iced Tea Shots: Our favorite sweet tea recipe gets a makeover – in shot form. (Obviously.) Don’t forget to stock up on your shot glasses!
– 1/2 cup iced tea-infused vodka
– 1/2 cup iced tea-infused simple syrup
– Sweetened condensed milk
– Equipment: shot glasses
Mix together vodka and simple syrup; divide amongst 8 shot glasses. Top with a drop of sweetened condensed milk. Serve cold. Makes eight shots.
7. Green Tea + Ginger Popsicles: Now, time for a little popsicle action! These popsicles really couldn’t be easier to make or more refreshing on a hot summer day. To get those perfect shaped popsicles, make sure you purchase a Norpro popsicle mold from Target.
– 6 ounces Arizona Green Iced Tea
– 12 ounces ginger beer
Mix together green iced tea and ginger beer. Distribute evenly between popsicle molds. Makes 6 3-ounce popsicles.
8. Raspberry Tea Popsicles: For something a little fruitier, we’ll combine fresh raspberries with raspberry tea!
– 2 cups water
– 1/4 cup Lipton raspberry instant tea mix
– Fresh or frozen raspberries
Mix together water and iced tea mix. Fill popsicle molds three-quarters of the way full and then top with raspberries. Makes 6 3-ounce popsicles.
9. Sweet Tea Popsicles: And for a more traditional tea popsicle, go for a simple sweet tea.
– 2 1/4 cups water
– 1/4 cup instant iced tea mix
Mix together water and iced tea mix. Distribute evenly between popsicle molds. Makes 6 3-ounce popsicles.
Of course, we won’t tell if you add a little sweet tea vodka to any of these popsicle recipes! ;)
10. Iced Tea Panna Cotta: Bet you didn’t know it was this easy to whip up a batch of panna cotta. Bonus: This no-bake treat will keep you cool in the kitchen. Stock up your kitchen with these essential clear nesting bowls. We use them in almost every recipe we make.
– 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
– 1 1/2 packets unflavored gelatin
– 1/2 cup Lipton instant raspberry iced tea mix
– 1 cup whipping cream
– Optional garnish: Fresh or frozen raspberries
Place milk and gelatin in a small saucepan. Let gelatin sit for 5 minutes and then heat mixture over medium low, stirring until gelatin is dissolved. Add instant iced tea mix, stirring to dissolve, then stir in cream. Divide evenly amongst 6 small glasses and refrigerate for 3 hours.
11. Iced Tea Tartlets: Another no-bake treat, these little tartlets really couldn’t be easier to make. Look for pre-made mini or regular graham cracker crusts to reduce prep time.
– 2 8-ounce packages 1/3 less fat cream cheese
– 1/4 cup milk (any kind)
– 1/2 cup Lipton instant peach iced tea mix
– 6 mini graham cracker crusts
– Optional garnish: peach jam and/or whipped cream
Place cream cheese in a large bowl and beat until smooth using a hand mixer. In a separate bowl, dissolve instant tea mix in milk; add to cream cheese. Continue beating until completely incorporated. Divide evenly among 6 mini graham cracker crusts. Place in the refrigerator for 3 hours to firm up.
Top with peach jam and whipped cream, if desired.
12. Iced Tea Ice Cream Float: Did we just reinvent the root beer float? I think so and it’s mighty delicious. By the way, did you know you can get these adorable striped straws at Target?
Iced Tea Ice Cream:
– 1 bag Lipton cold brew iced tea
– 1 cup half-and-half
– 1 cup whipping cream
– 1/4 cup instant iced tea mix
– 2 cups water
Place iced tea bag in half and half and let sit for one hour. Wring out iced tea bag and discard. In a separate bowl, whip cream to soft peaks and then gently fold in half and half mixture. Place in freezer for 6 hours, stirring twice to keep iced tea mixture from settling to the bottom. Alternatively, place all ingredients in an ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Place a few scoops of ice cream in a tall glass and top with sweet tea. Garnish with a striped straw.
And there you have it – 12 ways to put a new spin on your iced tea!
What are your favorite summertime treats? Any creative hacks on iced tea we should know about? Let us know in the comments section below.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.