Ignite Chewbacca Mom’s Contagious Laughter With This Halloween Mask
We live in a part of the world where once a year we get to dress up in Halloween costumes. We can morph into our favorite classic movie character like Molly Ringwald in The Breakfast Club or become a mythical fairy-tale unicorn. The best part: We all agree to have a party while dressed up! This year, we’re channeling an amazing character for more reasons than her overnight popularity! This sensational momma stole our hearts with that contagious laughter and innocent joy that she authentically oozed while sharing a video she took in her car raving about her newest purchase. Candace Payne, AKA Chewbacca Mom, hadn’t even left the parking lot when she filmed herself bragging about her new toy that belonged to HER only, not her boys! In a time of so much chaos and controversy, this woman’s laughter brings a light-hearted contagious joy that everyone can appreciate. We even have a DIY version of the mask if you want to pull off this costume using what you have at home.
How to be Chewbacca Mom
Materials and Tools:
- black t-shirt
- white paint pen
- ½ yard of 3-inch wide black elastic
- high waisted mom jeans
- Framework Wayfarers Glasses ($6)
- RightOn Medium Wig ($17)
- Star Wars Chewbacca Mask ($30)
1. First thing is to make your shirt! All you have to do is draw on a moon-like design with spots that look like a galaxy of stars. You can’t fully see what her shirt is, but I guessed by looking at what you can see.
2. Once your shirt is dry, hot glue the elastic to look like a seat belt.
3. I made the steering wheel out of foam with black electrical tape wrapped around it.
4. Finally, minimal makeup and a little wig styling paired with faux glasses, and BOOM — transformation complete!
DIY Mask Option
Print out our DIY mask.
Then follow along with our video to make your own mask if you’re not down to buy one!
And if you haven’t seen the real Chewbacca Mom yet… here you go!
Show us your project by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!
DIY Production/Model: Misty Spinney
Photography: Kurt Andre
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.