The It-Girl Approved Guide to Traveling in Style
You took a big leap of faith by booking a flight to your dream destination. While your bank account may not be happy, the prospect of traveling the world and living out of a suitcase for weeks (or months!) on end doesn’t sound too shabby. But wait just a second… You still have to pack a stylish wardrobe that doesn’t scream I’M A TOURIST. On the one hand, you want to fill your suitcase with double-duty travel style essentials (read: all-weather jackets, walking shoes and versatile basics that can be dressed up or down), but on the other, it would be nice not to stick out like a sore thumb when roaming the streets of Rome. Avoid the embarrassment at all costs by checking out our packing lists for London, Paris, Ireland and Italy. Proceed to rock these Instagram-approved looks in the States for major street cred.
The London fashion scene is just as eclectic and ever-changing as you’d imagine. Whether you have a love affair with bohemian prints, Victorian lace blouses or pared-down basics with an edge, you’ll have no trouble adapting your own personal style to this fashionable city. According to Olivia Purvis, the ultimate London girl and blogger behind What Olivia Did, London is home to many subcultures and crazy styles that are anything but conservative. Follow in her footsteps by packing classic, lady-like dresses for the countryside, vintage-inspired graphic print tees for day-to-day dressing and embroidered denim pinafore dresses with heavy retro appeal.
1. Talula Kent Blazer ($90): The secret to looking pulled together even when you don’t know where you are? Relaxed blazers all the way! Toss this hero piece in disguise on with black jeans and an oversized tee for a casual outing, or dress it up for after-hours with a sultry slip dress and Chelsea ankle boots.
2. Madewell Radio Tee in Delray Stripe ($32): We’ve seen Alexa Chung rocking black and white stripes on enough occasions to know they’re part of London’s unofficial cool-girl uniform. Don’t underestimate the styling potential of this boyish t-shirt that actually looks pretty killer with distressed shorts or a button-front skirt.
3. Babouche Slides in Black ($62): Edge up every look with these leather menswear-inspired slides that demand attention. Fit in with the London crowd by styling them with denim cutoffs, or opt for a boho frock accented by a tough-girl choker.
4. Campion Dress by Unique ($435): Get ready to pose for street-style photographers in this whimsical printed dress that’s begging to be paired with loafers for an afternoon at Borough Market. The romantic silhouette and cutout shoulders make this dainty number anything but blasé.
5. Topshop Ashley Black Denim Cutoff Shorts ($52): Sign us up for a pair of these slouchy black cutoffs, please! Don’t let the grunge aesthetic throw you off — they’ll have you navigating the underground bar scene like a pro.
6. ASOS Denim Original High Waisted Mini Skirt With Embroidered Hem ($52): In lieu of trendy button-front skirts, keep things on the DL with this embroidered denim skirt with a rocker ‘tude. It’s just the thing to wear for an outdoor concert in the evening that turns into nighttime rooftop cocktails — a felt fedora may or may not be required.
7. Reformation Antibes Top ($128): With temps in the 70s, a breezy summer blouse with this much ease is destined for #OOTD greatness. The peekaboo neckline and that starry print deliver just the right amount of understated fierceness that will keep you covered during unexpected rainfall (trust us… it will always rain).
So you want to be a French girl? Don’t let the high-fashion rep of the city deter you from pulling out all the stops — a fashion risk (or two) won’t go unappreciated as you stroll the streets of Paris. According to Garance Doré, the secret to sophistication is to hone your personal style and only wear clothes that best suit you. Think: tailored silhouettes and garments that make you look (and feel) 110 percent. It’s that simple to achieve that je ne saisquoi. Going beyond classic Breton stripes, there’s no shortage of chic accessories and wardrobe must-haves to up your style game this summer.
8. Pixie Market Fit and Flare Dress ($89): If London is synonymous with cutting-edge street style, then surely Paris must bring the romance. Opt for an ultra-feminine look by styling this flirty floral dress, featuring three-quarter sleeves, with chic ballet flats for a stroll through the Luxembourg gardens. Major swoon.
9. Madewell x Biltmore Panama Hat ($58): The French are known for their effortlessly chic sensibilities for a reason. Keep it simple with this straw Panama hat that will elevate anything from a striped t-shirt dress to an accordion-pleat skirt.
10. FRS White Tie Front Wrap Shirt ($39): Whether you’re heading to a brunch filled with warm croissants and French-pressed coffee or gearing up for an afternoon at the Musée Rodin, this striking tie-front blouse with a haute fashion twist will put your everyday button-down to shame. Pair it with plain black slacks or a twirl-worthy skirt for an “I was BORN to be here” look.
11. Club Monaco Nearta Off-the-Shoulder Dress ($199): Between attending a show at the Paris Opera and snapping selfies by the Eiffel Tower (sorry, not sorry), an off-the-shoulder dress with this much cool-girl flair won’t be overlooked. The relaxed silhouette, teamed with the fluttery sleeves and classic stripes, will always do you right.
12. Lou & Grey Striped Mediamix Midi Dress ($80): Easy as a Sunday morning in the Marais, this unassuming combo dress will get you out the door in seconds flat. While the form-fitting racer-back top reads casual, the swishy skirt is perfect for those early-morning runs to grab freshly baked baguettes at your favorite Paris bakery.
13. Club Monaco Vonna Espadrille ($198): Meet the versatile gingham espadrilles that will lend instant charm and class to every getup. It doesn’t matter if you’re rocking skinny jeans or a tailored shirt dress; these showstoppers are this close to making you ditch your prized oxfords and flats.
14. Reformation Tate Pant ($178): When in doubt, remember that classic, understated fashion is best for blending in. Access your whimsical side with these streamlined black tassel pants that were made for visiting the Louvre. You already know a to-die-for pair of steppers is obligatory.
While Ireland may not be synonymous with high fashion, it is known for its rolling green hills and picturesque landscapes. With temperatures on the chillier side, the key is to dress in layers. When in doubt, follow in the footsteps of Leanne Woodfull of Thunder and Threads by balancing warmer layers (like a fisherman sweater and an all-weather jacket) on top with everyday basics, like denim cutoffs, on the bottom. Between overcast skies and gusty winds near the coast, this is a foolproof #OOTD that can easily be styled alongside your favorite rain boots. For sunnier days, a slew of lightweight shirt dresses, button-downs and full skirts won’t let you down.
15. The Cambridge Satchel Company The Small Portrait Backpack ($235): Leave the serious backpacks for actual hiking — this stylish Cambridge Satchel backpack is compact enough to carry just the essentials (snacks, maps and currency).
16. J.Crew Regent Blazer ($198): There’s just something about a tailored camel blazer that makes every ensemble look more streamlined and sophisticated. This classic heritage piece can be popped over anything from a striped tee to a simple shift dress for an instant style upgrade.
17. Madewell Portside Skirt in Ikat Stripe ($78): This laid-back striped skirt is what sartorial dreams are made of. Between the wrinkle-free linen material and faux-wrap design, it’s a hero piece you’ll reach for time and time again during your travels. Pair it with a simple tee and sneaks for a stroll along the Irish countryside.
18. Tylho Plaid Tie-Waist Shirtdress ($148): Lazy girls, rejoice! This plaid shirt dress, complete with a laid-back tie-waist, can be styled with zero effort. Slip into some wellies (or canvas sneakers) and toss on a waxed cotton jacket for a tour of Blarney Castle.
19. Wilfred Mistral Blouse ($85): Turn every cloudy day upside down with this colorful madras print blouse featuring an open criss-cross back. The linen material makes it a prime layering piece for chilly mornings and sunny afternoons.
20. Hunter Packable Wellies ($150): Between sporadic rain showers, hikes to see historic castles and unpredictable weather, a pair of these packable wellies is non-negotiable. Both stylish and functional, they’ll lend a touch of rugged charm to every look.
21. L.L. Bean Signature Cotton Fisherman Sweater ($89): Don’t let the sunny pics of Ireland fool ya! Be prepared to dress like an onion so you can shed the layers when it gets too hot, or pile on more once the temps dip low. While this signature fisherman sweater may not be like the authentic hand-knitted Aran sweaters you can snag in Ireland, it will keep you cozy when taking in scenic views at the Cliffs of Moher.
22. Industry Standard The Odette Midrise in White ($115): Does it get any more classic than a crisp pair of white skinny jeans that can be styled a million and one ways? The answer is no. Whether you toss these bad boys on with one of the million layers you have in tow (a chambray shirt, a waffle weave sweater or a black tee), you can’t lose. Oh, and they’re insanely comfortable too.
When you travel to Italy, you get the best of both worlds. Between swimming on the Amalfi Coast and touring the ruins at Pompeii, your sched will be chock full of daily happenings that call for easy glamour. If you follow Italian style bloggers like Chiara Ferragni of The Blonde Salad, than you already know that Italian women are known for their signature bombshell style. Cue off-the-shoulder silhouettes, chandelier earrings, stilettos and slinky dresses that put the va-va in the voom. Rest assured you don’t have to get all gussied up to hang with the fashionable elite — take style cues from Chiara by making due with what you have. She counts a simple white t-shirt, an LBD, Levis, white converse kicks and a red lippy as her go-tos. Throw in a statement-making accessory, and you’ve got the I-just-woke-up-like-this look down pat.
23. J.Crew Pintucked Midi Skirt in Morning Floral ($118): This gorgeous floral midi skirt will take you from a romantic gondola ride in Venice to touring the Duomo in Florence in a flash. Not only is it incredibly flattering, but it also just so happens to play well with airy off-the-shoulder tops and espadrilles for no shortage of Instagram-worthy outfit snapshots.
24. & Other Stories Lace-Up Gladiator Sandals ($175): When in Rome, do wear these dramatic lace-up gladiators (‘cause why not?). Not only will they prove to be surprisingly comfortable after hours of walking, but they’ll look DDG with high-waisted shorts or a maxi dress fit for a goddess.
25. Corey Lynn Calter Pivoine Shorts ($188): Say arrivederci to denim cutoffs and hello to these high-waisted floral shorts that are equal parts playful and tasteful. Tuck in a lightweight blouse and slip into some matching orange slides for a day of sightseeing in Rome with notable stops at the Colosseum or Pantheon.
26. Tobi Emily Embroidered Maxi Dress ($132): Before you can hit the town, you need a flirty going-out dress that brings the wow-factor. Enter the floral embroidered maxi, complete with a sheer overlay, that will have heads turning when styled with a bold red lip and nude ankle-strap heels.
27. Duskii Under Wire Bikini Top ($60) + Hipster Bikini Pant ($45): As you discover Italy’s most secluded beaches, you’ll be glad you decided to pack this itsy-bitsy aqua and fuchsia color block bikini at the last minute. When you’re not soaking up rays, simply toss on a boho maxi dress and Birks.
28. Kate Spade Cobble Hill Adrien ($428): You best be bringing your A-game to Italy by toting around this colorful Kate Spade top-handle bag that means business. Not only can it be used as a ladylike satchel, but it also has a hands-free strap for prime convenience when adventuring begins. Team it with a sophisticated sundress or an LBD for unparalleled chicness.
29. J.Crew Dulci Kitten Heels in Floral Burst ($268): Why even go to Italy if you haven’t packed at least one pair of stylish kitten heels? While a sensible pair of sandals or tennies would be best suited for a full day of exploring (darn those cobblestone streets!), these ‘50s-inspired floral print heels will kick your #OOTD up a notch for a night on the town.
30. Paper Crown Lexington Romper ($148): This timeless striped romper was designed for those hot balmy days spent in the Italian countryside sippin’ vino. Come after-hours, you can swap out your broad-brimmed hat for a lightweight cardigan that’s conservative enough for dinner al fresco.
What are your international travel essentials? For more colorful summer style, follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)