Kate Middleton and Melania Trump Have This Dress Style in Common
If you’re like a lot of America, you might have been scratching your head at the mention of the pussy bow blouse Melania Trump was wearing at the last presidential debate. And while the name is less than desirable — it’s also called a tie-neck or tie-front blouse, FYI — rocking this style is a great way to throw shade at Trump, which his wife either intentionally or unintentionally did by wearing it.
It’s a sleek, simple and classic style that works for every work environment, from a more formal office as a dress to a more casual office with jeans and high heels — plus, it’s Duchess-approved. Yup, even Kate Middleton loves this super chic look. Here’s how to get the look this fall, without all the controversy.
1. Kate Spade New York Encore Rose Dress ($498): If you are totally obsessed with wearing what Kate wears (who isn’t?), then you’ll want to start saving up for the exact dress she wore out and about in London at World Mental Health Day. Go simple like her with neutral pumps, or jazz it up for fall with knee-high boots and a chunky cardigan.
2. NYDJ Striped Floral Blouse ($98): This is like a two-for-one blouse — super feminine florals are complemented nicely by a borrowed-from-the-boys menswear stripe. You’d think that florals, stripes and a bow all add up to a fashion disaster, but they come together in perfect harmony in this blouse.
3. Ann Taylor Spotted Tie Front Blouse ($80): If you take the attitude that leopard is a neutral (and it is!), this will become your favorite fall blouse. Pair it with dark denim for a sophisticated casual Friday look, or step it up with a blazer and dress pants for your important Monday morning meeting.
4. Tommy Hilfiger Geo Print Tie Blouse ($120): A tie-neck blouse in a ‘70s geometric pattern is like the fall fashion holy grail. Add a flippy skirt and boots and you’ll have a Gigi Hadid (AKA the new face of Tommy Hilfiger)-approved outfit.
5. Michael Michael Kors Sheer Tie Front Blouse ($110): For an uber-feminine look, try this sheer navy bow blouse with a floral printed skirt and Kate Middleton-esque neutral heels. Make it modern by adding sleek metallic accessories.
6. Free People Modern Muse Tie Neck Blouse ($98): If you think this style will end up being your go-to blouse, try investing in a neutral striped version like this one from Free People.
7. Esley Tie Neck Dress ($44): Do it in a dress, like this clean and simple version from Esley. The price is right too, if you’re not totally sold on the trend but you want to experiment.
8. Cece Tie Neck Polka Dot Dress ($129): The contrast bow on this dress is everything — can’t you just see the bow and dotted collar peeking out from a crewneck sweater? It’s a sophisticated yet playful look that will have the compliments rolling in.
9. Banana Republic Floral Tie Neck Dress ($128): It’s undeniable that the combo of florals and a tie-neck are totally dreamy and feminine, but if you’re thinking this look is a little too precious, take note: You can up the cool factor with a cropped boucle jacket, colored tights or your fiercest embellished booties.
10. Wayf Paxton Dress ($79): Talk about the perfect layering piece — this dress will take you from fall to spring and back again.
Tweet us your thoughts on this controversial trend!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photos via Chris Jackson / Getty)