The Perfect Skirt Steak Recipe + 17 Ways to Use the Leftovers ALL Week
Don’t be intimidated by steak! Okay, filet and rib eye can be pricey for a weeknight dinner, but skirt (or flank) steak are great affordable options, and there are a *ton* of ways to utilize leftover steak throughout the whole week. You’ve already got your favorite leftover roast chicken recipes, so now it’s time to give steak leftovers the same attention. Skirt steak cooks incredibly fast, so within 30 minutes you can have your meat prepared for salads, make-ahead lunches, tacos and nachos for the entire week. Call your butcher, because these recipes will have you craving steak for every meal.
1. Marinated Skirt Steak: Letting your meat marinate overnight is the key to a tender skirt steak. Even though you have to start the night before, the recipe is incredibly simple and will yield amazing flavor perfect for a multitude of dishes. You’ll want to cook this medium rare at most, since you’ll be reheating it throughout the week. (via East Coast Alex)
2. Beef Fajitas: Start your fajitas by sautéing peppers and onions over high heat and reheating your steak. Pile on a warm tortilla and top everything with pico de gallo and sour cream, and you’re done! Using leftover beef means your fajitas are done in 15 minutes flat. (via Recipe Tin Eats)
3. Carne Asada Nacho Fries: If there’s anything better than fries AND nachos mixed together, we’re not sure what it is. Load up wedge-cut potatoes with cheese, guacamole and very thinly sliced steak and bask in a fun dinner everyone will praise you for. (via What’s Gaby Cooking)
4. Philly Cheesesteak Sliders: Philly cheesesteak is an obvious choice for using up leftover steak. Have a little fun with it and turn them into sliders that the whole family will love. Serve with shoestring fries to really channel that Philly street vibe. (via Cooking for Keeps)
5. Crispy Spicy Sesame Beef: Spicy sesame sauce is the star of this dish. When it comes to the end of the week and you’re really pushing yourself to finish the leftovers, try this — you’ll be in Shanghai heaven. (via Gal on a Mission)
6. Roasted Butternut Squash, Steak and Pomegranate Crostini: Mid-week entertaining doesn’t have to be stressful. Leftover steak mixed with feta, pomegranate and roasted butternut squash makes a lovely crostini topping. Everyone will be asking for the recipe. (via Cooking LSL)
7. Mexican Street Fries: Even though these fries look really indulgent, they’re actually quite a well-rounded meal. The sweet potato fries are baked, and the naturally lean skirt steak is tossed with shredded Brussels sprouts. Top with cilantro and Cotija cheese and you’ll feel like you’re walking the streets of Mexico. (via The Blonde Chef)
8. Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers: One of the main components of a Philly cheesesteak is green bell pepper, so it only makes sense to stuff the filling inside one. These freeze wonderfully, so you can save them for a rainy day when you don’t feel like cooking. (via The Garlic Diaries)
9. Steak ‘n’ Egg Tacos: Anyone can make this Tex-Mex twist on steak and eggs. Top your tacos with avocado and your favorite salsa for a little extra zip. Good luck eating these with your hands… You *may* want to have a fork nearby. (via Frites and Fries)
11. Steak and Mushroom Grilled Cheese: When all else fails, grilled cheese is where it’s at. But this isn’t just any grilled cheese. It’s filled with mushrooms and thinly sliced steak nestled between gooey layers of Gruyère and Swiss. Yes, please. (via The Cozy Apron)
12. Steak Salad With Grilled Asparagus and Mushrooms: Rustic flavors of asparagus, blue cheese and mushrooms pair perfectly with beef. All you need to dress this salad is a simple balsamic vinaigrette that lets the other flavors shine. (via Chef Savvy)
13. Sirloin Steak Tip Sandwich With Dubliner Cheese Sauce and Caramelized Onions: Your co-workers will *definitely* be jealous of this sandwich. Caramelized onions, white cheddar and hot sauce will instantly take your leftover beef to drool-worthy status. (via From Away)
14. Sweet Thai Chili Steak Bowls: Why order takeout when you have perfectly good steak sitting in your fridge? With just a few pantry items and ingredients you probably have on hand, you can make a hearty Thai bowl that could easily be on the menu at your favorite restaurant. (via Shock Munch)
15. Strawberry Steak Salad: You’ll fall in love at first bite with the combo of steak, blue cheese and strawberries. You may even turn salad naysayers into salad lovers with this one. (via Family Foodie)
16. Surf and Turf Quinoa Bowls With Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette: This healthy, budget-friendly version of surf and turf will knock your socks off. Who needs lobster and filet when you have skirt steak and shrimp? You’ll have to refrain from drinking the vinaigrette though… It’s THAT good. (via Cooking and Beer)
17. Tequila Lime Steak and Poblano Quesadillas With Citrus Sour Cream: Everyone jumps for joy when quesadilla night rolls around, especially when they’re fancy quesadillas loaded with tequila-lime steak and sautéed poblanos. Apologize to Chipotle, because you’re staying home. (via Cooking for Keeps)
Follow us on Pinterest for more easy + delicious recipe ideas.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)