Our Top 12 Memorial Day Weekend Essentials
All hail the long weekend! Memorial Day is upon us, and we’re squirming with anticipation for that blessed extra day off. We’ve teamed up with Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc. to inspire the ultimate packing list for your holiday weekend. Whether vacationing or daycationing, be sure to pack first aid essentials so minor mishaps won’t put a damper on your festivities. From playlists to DIY weekender bags to a seriously adorable first aid kit, we’ve got some inspo for the most colorful (and sensible!) packing list ever.
Keep scrolling for our top 12 Memorial Day weekend essentials.
1. DIY Painted Picnic Blanket: Turn any old canvas drop cloth into a charming picnic blanket with one of our favorite tutorials.
2. Pack This First Aid Kit by Oh Joy!: We swoon over just about everything Oh Joy! makes, and this limited edition First Aid Kit, exclusively available at Target stores and Target.com, is no exception. Pockets and pouches within allow you to customize the kit to your liking, so you can always have emergency essentials on hand to treat minor injuries that pop up from having Memorial Day fun. Additionally, if you buy three Johnson & Johnson First Aid items, you get the kit for free. That’s a major bonus!
3.Tune in to the BEST Long Weekend Playlist: Confession: We’ve had this stellar playlist on repeat since last summer. Every long weekend needs a killer soundtrack, right?
4. Tote This No-Sew Canteen: H2O > everything, people! This rad no-sew water canteen is just one more incentive to tote your water bottle, no matter where you’re headed.
5. Try These Compeed Blister Cushions With Your Summer Sandals: Breaking in those brand new summer sandals doesn’t have to be a pain. Compeed Blister Cushions, available only at Walgreens stores and www.walgreens.com, use hydrocolloid technology that basically fits like a second skin. Our fave thing about it — it stays on all day long, so you can enjoy hours in the summer sun! They’re a must-have for the time spent on your feet this Memorial Day.
6. Paint Your Own Weekender Bag: Yep, this bag is completely DIY, right down to the hand-painted fabric. B+C DIY editor Kelly made a genius tutorial, complete with a duffel bag sewing template, so you can crank out this custom weekender all by yourself.
7. DIY These American Flag Sneakers: No Memorial Day is complete without some stars and stripes! Upgrade white high-tops with red and blue paint pens for some seriously celebratory footwear.
8. Opt for Band-Aid Water Block Bandages: Nothing should stop us from jumping in the lake, ocean or pool this weekend, especially cuts and scratches. Water Block bandages are 100% waterproof (!), will stay on all day and still let wounds breathe. Win, win, win for your summer weekend. Make sure you grab these for your beach bag!
9.Make This Beach Towel Photo Booth: You *know* we love a good DIY photo booth, and this hack is a tried and true favorite: Simply hang up a patterned giant beach towel or blanket for a festive backdrop on the fly. In our books, every opportunity is a photo opportunity :)
10. Sew Your Own Crop Top: It’s officially crop top season again, and we’re THIS excited about it. Learn how to make your own with this super helpful tutorial and add an unexpected DIY to your OOTD.
11. Stock Up on Sweater Cozies: They’re like sweaters for your beverages — but they keep your drinks COOL! Plus, they’re a cute way to customize your drinkware for the weekend.
Did we miss any Memorial Day Weekend essentials? Share with us on Twitter @BritandCo!
This post is a collaboration with Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc.
Author: Maddie Bachelder
Photo Styling: Irene Lee
Photography: Kurt Andre + Chris Andre