12 Mermaid Braids to Try This Summer
Need a cool, relaxed way to wear a braid that’s boho chic and takes two seconds to create? Of course you do. If you love playing around with French and fishtail braids, then mermaid braids will be a breeze for you to master. The key is lots of volume, keeping things the perfect amount of messy and mixing up the textures so that the end look is incredibly romantic. Check out these 12 beautiful examples to get inspired and then get your braid on!
1. Wedding Chic: Use hot rollers to get as much volume as possible as you start putting together this layered braid. (via Ruffled)
2. Red-Carpet Worthy: Proving that you don’t need long hair to rock the mermaid braid, Emma looks effortlessly cool and still sexy. (via Cosmopolitan)
3. Go Next-Level: From a distance this braid looks sweet and simple. But when you get close, you can really see the intricacy of this next-level style. (via A Cup Of Joe)
3. Give Your Braid Some Love: Fatten out the braids by pulling on them to get the boho messy look. (via Once Wed)
4. Boldly Mermaid: This dramatic braid might make the case for extensions, ’cause who wouldn’t want to rock a braid fit for a princess from Frozen? (via Free People)
5. Tousled and Twisted: This might be the most whimsical braid we’ve ever seen! If you have ombre ends, it looks really cool to have the blond bits wrapping around this braid. (via Ruffled)
6. Add Curls: For added glamour, curl the pieces that have fallen out of the braid and pile them around your draping locks. (via Ruffled)
7. Pretty-Messy Mermaid: This might be the pretty-messy hairstyle to rule them all. But no matter what style she rocks, Blake is our ultimate hair hero. (via Glamour)
8. Hide Your Bangs: Twist or braid your bangs into the main braid for a fresh-faced look that’s preppy and polished. (via Bobby Glam)
9. Dutch Mermaid Braid: Switch up the side braid with this playful Dutch weave. Top off this twist with a pretty headband for a fun touch. (via Missy Sue)
10. Mermaid Tail: Here, the mermaid braid creates a tubing effect that isn’t really visible until the bottom. We love the contrast between the sweeping side bangs and knotted mane. (via Missy Sue)
11. Hints of the Sea: Add color to your mermaid braid with hair chalk to create eye-catching accents. Spot different parts of the braid throughout and don’t forget to add some to the tail end! (via Brit + Co)
12. Easy Mermaid Tutorial: If you need some help visualizing everything that goes into a mermaid braid, check out this awesome video tutorial! It’s a must-watch for those who haven’t aced braiding 101. (via Kayley Melissa)
Do you think you’ll try your hand at plaiting a mermaid braid? Let us know in the comments below.