Morning Buzz! Lorde Apologizes for Saying Celebrity Friendship Is Like an Autoimmune Disease + More
Lorde apologizes for a weird analogy and Jay Z makes some big changes in this morning’s top news stories. Check out those and more below in Tuesday’s Morning Buzz!
didn't mention taylor, but regardless, i fucked up & that was really insensitive. i'm sorry 🌹
— Lorde (@lorde) June 20, 2017
1. In a recent interview, Lorde said being friends with someone as famous as Taylor Swift is like “having a friend with an autoimmune disease,” or with very specific allergies, in that there are always extra considerations to keep in mind. But the analogy isn’t sitting right with some fans, after one wondered how Selena Gomez — who lives with the chronic autoimmune condition lupus — would feel about the “ignorant” claim. “Autoimmune diseases are chronic, they’re debilitating, they’re painful, they can put you in a coma, and they end lives too soon,” user @stefinitely85 said. Lorde quickly apologized, saying she realized she had “f***ed up” and that it “was really insensitive.”
2. Jay Z changed his name (again). Before he was Jay Z, he was Jay-Z, and now the hyphen is coming back and he’s going all-caps — JAY-Z — for his upcoming album4:44. Jay — or rather, JAY — was spotted out and about for the first time since his and Beyoncé’s twins were born, and based on his beaming all-smiles look, the all caps seem appropriate. (h/t EW, photo via Frederick M. Brown/Getty)
3. Rachel Lindsay got real about the pressures she feels as the first black Bachelorette. On a tense new Bachelorette ep, after Dean suggested that Lee only picked fights with “the people that he’s used to seeing on a daily basis, from a cultural perspective,” Lindsay broke down during one of her interviews and admitted that she was carrying a lot of weight on her shoulders. “The pressures that I feel being a black woman … I don’t want to talk about it,” she said, getting emotional. “I get pressured from so many different ways being in this position … I already know what people are going to say about me and judge me for the decisions that I’m making.” The problems with Lee only continued, and Lindsay was faced with — and called out — a tone-deaf tweet from former Bachelor contestant Leah Block, sending #BachelorNation into a frenzy. Whew. (Photo via Isaac Brekken/Getty)
View this post on Instagram
When I was at the White House, I often hosted bootcamp weekends for my close girlfriends. It didn’t matter that we were all at varying fitness levels. Our bootcamp weekends were a reminder that if we want to keep taking care of others, we need to take care of ourselves first. And even though I’m no longer at the White House, I've continued this tradition and wanted to share some photos. My girlfriends have been there for me through all kinds of life transitions over the years – including a pretty big one recently! – and we’ve done our best to stay healthy together. Whether it’s a bootcamp or a walk around the neighborhood, I hope you and your crew can find some time this summer to be healthy together.
A post shared by Michelle Obama (@michelleobama) on
4. Michelle Obama’s fitness bootcamps give new meaning to #squadgoals. Not to mention #fitnessgoals! Obama posted a series of pics of a good sweat sesh with her friends, saying that she often hosted the active get-togethers at the White House as “a reminder that if we want to keep taking care of others, we need to take care of ourselves first.” She went on to say that even though she’s no longer in the White House, the tradition continues. “Whether it’s a bootcamp or a walk around the neighborhood, I hope you and your crew can find some time this summer to be healthy together,” she wrote. Done and done.
5.Get ready to stay indoors all summer because Titanic is coming back to Netflix. The streaming service gave Bustle a sneak peek at some of the titles coming in July, and it included this ’90s fave. Who needs the outdoors anyway?! (Photo via Christopher Polk/Getty)
6. Quote of the day: “Instead of looking at the past, I put myself ahead 20 years and try to look at what I need to do now in order to get there then.” An important reminder to keep your eye on the prize, from Diana Ross.
Do you take time to reflect on the past, or only look ahead? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Featured image via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)