9 Breezy Labor Day Looks That Don’t Involve Shorts
Summertime can be a fashion nightmare. How is anyone supposed to worry about style when it is too hot to deal? Between sizzling temps and the inevitable swamp booty, we can’t seem to make it a week without melting. Everywhere we turn, the only solution we’re given is to bare it all in order to keep our cool. But what about those of us who just aren’t jazzed about higher hemlines or, heaven forbid, shorts? Summer styles tend to rely heavily on shorts, but they aren’t everyone’s jam. Whether you prefer a more modest look or can never find a fit that flatters, don’t worry — we’ve got you covered (literally). Check out these amazing end-of-summer looks that will keep you breezy as can be as you soak up that last bit of sun on Labor Day weekend.
1. Reformation Addie Dress ($198): Keep your gams covered without compromising a bit of sultry appeal courtesy of a strategically placed cutout. How can you resist this end-of-season staple in such a marvelous shade of marigold?
2. J.Crew Short-Sleeve Popover in Chambray ($78): In the midst of a sticky summer, you must always keep chambray as a close ally. This loose denim top can be dressed up or down via shoulder duster earrings and a serious set of sunnies. A white denim skirt and neckerchief complete the preppy rocker look.
3. Pixie Market Sleeve Waist Tie Tee Dress ($66): This summer, the shirtdress is the breezy blessing you’ve been waiting for. The waist detail gives this simple frock a trendy punch, making it a perfect HR-approved option.
4. Nasty Gal Slit While You’re Ahead Top ($58): Who says skirts should have all the fun? This top features dramatic slits and pairs perfectly with culottes, leggings or any other basic bottom you feel comfortable in for an effortlessly cool look in hot-AF temps.
5. TopShop Patch Print Maxi Skirt ($74): Maxi skirts aren’t just for festivals, my friends. This beautiful kimono-inspired patterned skirt may fall to the floor, but it features some major knee-high slits for ventilation. You might not need the leather jacket for a 90-degree afternoon, but at least now you know how to transition this beauty through fall.
6. TopShop Wrap Dress ($90): Mommas-to-be, we didn’t forget about you. A wrap dress is a completely universal look for pre- and post-baby style.
7. Silence + Noise Deep-V Satin Maxi Slip Dress ($89): Rock this slip dress solo for a minimalist romantic vibe, or layer with your favorite concert tee for a completely unexpected grungy look worthy of any ’90s babe. When the temps start to drop, you can keep this MVP around with some strategic styling and swoon-worthy tights.
8. Pixie Market Chambray Tassel Pants ($112): Culottes are a dream trend come true for the anti-shorts crowd. They’re loose and cool without being too revealing, not to mention they come through strong on the style front. Bonus: Two-piece outfits make you look super put-together when, in reality, you did half the work.
9. Old Navy Wide-Leg Jumpsuit ($50): If shorts aren’t your thing, try a jumpsuit in a lightweight fabric for a stylish alternative. The pattern and sparkly detailing on this one make it a great day-to-evening piece that can be added to a sleeveless mock t-neck come fall.
Want more end-of-summer style? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.