Out of all the stylish Olivias out there (Palermo, Wilde, Munn — and Pope!), Olivia Culpo has really come into her own as a style star since she won Miss Universe in 2012. She shares her outfits and daily happenings with her 1.3 million followers in IG almost on the daily, so it’s pretty easy to see how she can start a trend singlehandedly.
Take, for example, her recent remix of an off-the-shoulder shirt. It’s likely that many people will follow suit here with this simple reshaping of something that’s already hanging in their closet — that peasant blouse from seasons ago. Here’s how to do it: Make sure the shirt has a deep plunge or buttons in the front that you can manipulate down over your shoulders, or try a shirt with elastic around the collar. Either way, it might take some experimenting, but you can thank Olivia for this genius idea of getting extra mileage out of something you already have. Here are a few to choose from if you’re still searching.
1. H&M Crinkle Blouse ($35): This deep jewel tone will transition nicely from spring into fall, and looks just as good with cutoff shorts as it does with your favorite flares.
2. Free People Easy Girl Bell Sleeve Top ($88): Keeping with that ‘70s vibe of the past few seasons, this bell sleeve shirt is a bright and sunny option.
3. Wayf Townsend Peasant Top ($59): If uber-feminine is more your style, try a pretty printed one like this top, which pairs nicely with both denim skirts and tailored pants.
4. Mantos Eternity Blouse ($79): Even that global chic peasant gauze top will work! Shimmy it down to the preferred shoulder length and secure it in place with the laces.
5. Free People Hendrix Top ($108): This one is ideal for those who are starting to experiment with this trend — it’s got a deep enough v that you can fiddle with, and a cord in addition to the elastic so that you can secure it exactly as you want it to be.
6. Piper Embroidered Boho Top ($150): This top’s pretty turquoise color can be worn with white jeans until the weather turns, or with military green khakis going into fall.
Show us your styling hacks on Instagram with #iamcreative!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Feature photo via Ethan Miller / Getty)