The 22 Best Hair Looks from the Oscars
Forget the intricate updos and the belabored curls: this year, hair at the Oscars was all about modern glamour. That means celebs’ tresses were largely equal parts polished and pieced apart for the biggest moment of award season, making red carpet beauty feel more effortless — and attainable — than ever. Scroll below to see the I-could-totally-do-this hairstyles sported by the biggest names in Hollywood.
1. Lupita Nyong’o: Leave it to Lupita to go matchy-matchy in the most unexpected way: with her super short cut styled to mimic the pearls on her gorgeous custom Calvin Klein dress. It’s punk hair at its most elegant. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
2. Chrissy Teigen: Chrissy “Queen of Waves” Teigen ditches her signature beach waves and proves she can also dominate a more refined, Old Hollywood hairstyle too. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
3. Zoe Saldana: The loose, messy curls that delicately frame Zoe’s face might be the most romantic updo of the red carpet. (Photo via Fazer Harrison/Getty)
4. Dakota Johnson: No one wears piece-y bangs better (sexier?) than Dakota Johnson, who keeps her hairstyle just-rolled-outta-bed casual in a loosely pulled-back pony. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
5. Rosamund Pike: Rosamund’s not-too-messy bun strikes an enviable balance you can bet we’ll be trying to replicate on the daily. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
6. Marion Cotillard: A dramatic side part has never looked more elegant than Marion’s sleek swoop that twists gracefully around her ear. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
7. Zendaya: Zendaya’s two-toned dreadlocks are the perfect combination of playful and pretty (can you spot those gorg gold embellishments?). It’s a perfect pick-me-up accent to her classic white gown. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
8. Margot Robbie: Margot’s ultra-shiny textured bob is the ultimate second-day hair inspiration for short-haired girls everywhere. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
9. Carmen Ejogo: This is how you make retro-inspired hair feel modern. Cameron mixes soft flapper-style curls with a modern dye job to keep her look unmistakably of the moment. (Photo via Jason MerrittGetty)
10. Gina Rodriguez: Gina pays homage to ’60s yearbook hair with a giant bouffant that’s elegantly knotted in the back. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
11. Anna Kendrick: One word: effortless. Anna’s wind-swept updo takes side swept hair to the next level. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
12. Genesis Rodriguez: Genesis Rodriguez makes us want to ditch the hairbrush the next time we suit up for a black tie event. Her messy down do is hands down the sexiest on the red carpet. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
13. Rita Ora: Just when you thought barely-brushed hair was it, Rita Ora makes a pretty solid case for super slicked-back tresses with her elegantly gelled white-hot pixie cut. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
14. Viola Davis: Viola’s picked-out hair adds the perfect amount of texture to her silky gown, just like her edgy lip color and va-va-voom lashes. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
15. Scarlett Johansson: Prediction: shaved sides *will* be the next big hair trend for short-haired It girls thanks to ScarJo’s punky look. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
16. Emma Stone: Emma Stone just does not stop with the bob styling inspiration. Her asymmetrical ‘do is nothing less than DDG. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
17. Anna Faris: Sorry, Felicity Jones. Anna Ferris *wins* for best straight-across bangs of the night, which were minimally styled along with loosely set waves. (Photos via Jason Merritt/Getty)
18. Nicole Kidman: Nicole Kidman makes a serious case for long ’90s-feeling layers with her flipped out cut. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
19. Solange Knowles: We LOVE a girl who embrace her hair’s natural texture, so we can’t help but swoon over Solange’s larger-than-life finger wave bob. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
20. Faith Hill: Short and sweet perfectly describes Faith Hill’s rusted root pixie cut, which has an ’80s feel to it that we don’t hate. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
21. Lady Gaga: Of course Lady Gaga would give us more than a simple knotted ponytail. She takes the hair trend to the next level with twisted ends and red floral embellishments that make her classic lips pop. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
22. Jared Leto: How could we *not* include Jared Leto among the ranks of best locks at the award show? The length. The ombre color. The wavy style we’re pretty sure he DIY-ed using our #wokeuplikethis tutorial. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
Who had your favorite hairstyle on the Oscars red carpet? Tell us in the comments below.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)