Once a symbol of all things fashionable in old-world Europe, the eighteenth-century decor fad of paper mache is making a comeback. But this time, it’s more modern than ever. The literal translation is “chewed paper,” which refers to the layers of shredded paper molded together with lacquer to build cool creations. Today, minimal designs and bold colors combine with the natural texture of paper mache, making it the perfect accent for any space. Spruce up your decor with one of these on-point paper mache accessories below.
1. Hibiscus Flower Dish ($20): Constructed out of paper and printed with a cute photo transfer, this handcrafted tray provides a stylish spot to set your trinkets.
2. Paper Mache Wall Art ($160): Add texture and color to your walls with unique wall art from the modern decorator’s go-to place: West Elm. Choose from three beautiful, global-inspired designs handmade by artisans in Haiti.
3. Light-Up Letter Set ($140): Get the best of both worlds with this adorable combo of paper mache and marquee letters. They would look great set out for an event or wedding. Afterward, display them above your kitchen cabinets as decor.
5. Paper Mache Wall Anchor ($50): Gold-painted paper mache creates a luxe look. Combine that fanciness with a dose of nautical style, and you’ve got a winning combo.
6. Nick Console Table ($1,200): Modern lines and a bold turquoise top make this a super sleek piece. It works as a petite desk for a small space or as a console table behind a sofa.
7. Paper Mache Sailboat (from $50): These eco-friendly works of art are made from recycled paper. The newsprint gives them a vintage vibe that’s streamlined at the same time. A trio like this provides a playful accent for an eclectic space or a kids’ room.
8. Paper Mache Bell Pendant ($160): Designed by a lighting artisan in Poland, this vivid blue pendant light offers plenty of texture and retro-inspired style.
9. Spore Mirror ($1,800): Make a dramatic statement with this edgy mirror. It’s a major splurge, but this high-end reproduction of an original paper-mache and wax piece found in Paris in the 1960s might just be worth it.
10. DIY Paper Mache Cake Stand: Create these lovely cake stands out of supplies from around the house, plus a few crafting staples. We love the idea of personalizing it with modern designs, like stripes and geometrics. (via The House That Lars Built)
11. Flower Stool ($395): This bold accent features the glossy look of ceramic with the unmistakable texture of paper mache. The result? A truly one-of-a-kind piece.
12. Paper Mache Bowl ($12): Pick up several of these chic little bowls in multiple colors. Scatter them throughout your home or create a fun grouping all together for a vibrant display.
13. Yellow-Striped Paper Mache Vase ($62): Add a pop of color to an empty shelf with this sunny vase. This one is handcrafted from tobacco leaves for a dynamic finish.
14. Horse Skull Sculpture ($40): A floral-inspired design brings feminine flair to this trendy skull piece. Add it to a gallery wall arrangement for a three-dimensional element.
15. Adelaide Pendant ($700): With an array of creative hues to choose from, this intricate, leaf-inspired design will bring pizzazz to any room.
16. African Elephant Head Sculpture ($110): For a twist on your traditional antler or moose head, look no further. Newsprint brings a fun, abstract feel to this formerly stuffy wall icon.
What’s your favorite paper mache design? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!