16 Playful Ways to Decorate With Paper Mache
Once a symbol of all things fashionable in old-world Europe, the eighteenth-century decor fad of paper mache is making a comeback. But this time, it’s more modern than ever. The literal translation is “chewed paper,” which refers to the layers of shredded paper molded together with lacquer to build cool creations. Today, minimal designs and bold colors combine with the natural texture of paper mache, making it the perfect accent for any space. Spruce up your decor with one of these on-point paper mache accessories below.
1. Hibiscus Flower Dish ($20): Constructed out of paper and printed with a cute photo transfer, this handcrafted tray provides a stylish spot to set your trinkets.
2. Paper Mache Wall Art ($160): Add texture and color to your walls with unique wall art from the modern decorator’s go-to place: West Elm. Choose from three beautiful, global-inspired designs handmade by artisans in Haiti.
3. Light-Up Letter Set ($140): Get the best of both worlds with this adorable combo of paper mache and marquee letters. They would look great set out for an event or wedding. Afterward, display them above your kitchen cabinets as decor.
5. Paper Mache Wall Anchor ($50): Gold-painted paper mache creates a luxe look. Combine that fanciness with a dose of nautical style, and you’ve got a winning combo.
6. Nick Console Table ($1,200): Modern lines and a bold turquoise top make this a super sleek piece. It works as a petite desk for a small space or as a console table behind a sofa.
7. Paper Mache Sailboat (from $50): These eco-friendly works of art are made from recycled paper. The newsprint gives them a vintage vibe that’s streamlined at the same time. A trio like this provides a playful accent for an eclectic space or a kids’ room.
8. Paper Mache Bell Pendant ($160): Designed by a lighting artisan in Poland, this vivid blue pendant light offers plenty of texture and retro-inspired style.
9. Spore Mirror ($1,800): Make a dramatic statement with this edgy mirror. It’s a major splurge, but this high-end reproduction of an original paper-mache and wax piece found in Paris in the 1960s might just be worth it.
10. DIY Paper Mache Cake Stand: Create these lovely cake stands out of supplies from around the house, plus a few crafting staples. We love the idea of personalizing it with modern designs, like stripes and geometrics. (via The House That Lars Built)
11. Flower Stool ($395): This bold accent features the glossy look of ceramic with the unmistakable texture of paper mache. The result? A truly one-of-a-kind piece.
12. Paper Mache Bowl ($12): Pick up several of these chic little bowls in multiple colors. Scatter them throughout your home or create a fun grouping all together for a vibrant display.
13. Yellow-Striped Paper Mache Vase ($62): Add a pop of color to an empty shelf with this sunny vase. This one is handcrafted from tobacco leaves for a dynamic finish.
14. Horse Skull Sculpture ($40): A floral-inspired design brings feminine flair to this trendy skull piece. Add it to a gallery wall arrangement for a three-dimensional element.
15. Adelaide Pendant ($700): With an array of creative hues to choose from, this intricate, leaf-inspired design will bring pizzazz to any room.
16. African Elephant Head Sculpture ($110): For a twist on your traditional antler or moose head, look no further. Newsprint brings a fun, abstract feel to this formerly stuffy wall icon.
What’s your favorite paper mache design? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)