11 Party Dress and Coat Pairings That Will Stun All Season Long
Brace yourselves, people: Party season is officially upon us, and if you haven’t yet invested in the perfect holiday dress for all those upcoming festive fêtes, you best get on it STAT. And no, we’re not talking about whipping out that tired LBD, because girl, you can do so much better than that. Of course, we know you’re busy AF, what with holiday planning, gift shopping (we’ve got all your gifts for him and her covered, BTW) and killin’ it at work topping your to-do list, which is why we’ve gone ahead and done all the legwork for you. Below, we’ve curated a list of show-stopping ensembles for every partay on your list, then one-upped ourselves by teaming them with a stunning outerwear option. The only thing left for you do? Team ’em with some Insta-worthy accessories (might we suggest a statement box bag?) and take the party circuit by storm.
1. Zara Cut-Out Shoulder Dress ($70) + Check Coat ($200): Rose gold sequins and a slinky off-the-shoulder silhouette? It doesn’t get any better than this. Practically made for sipping Champagne and schmoozing with the best of ’em, this shimmery frock is guaranteed to get you noticed. Team it with long dramatic drops, bow-embellished steppers and this bright faux-fur-trimmed coat for a standout look.
2. Zara Dress With Sequin Straps ($60) + Topshop Double Breasted Midi Coat ($240): Take a more-is-more approach to your holiday dressing by teaming a glitzy sequin dress with a bold-and-bright midi coat for a look that screams It girl in training. Be it your bestie’s annual bash or an after-hours work party, you can rest assured your ensemble will pass with flying colors. Score serious bonus points by teaming it with a smokey metallic eye and perspex clutch.
3. Upstate Night Swimming Amalfi Dress ($388) + Mango Military Style Coat ($170): Bring the drama this year by ditching the LBD and donning this stunning velvet beauty instead. Dress it up with a metallic belt and sleek topknot, then weave in a touch of military-inspired appeal for just the right amount of romantic tough-girl edge.
4. River Island Black Star Embellished Mesh Dress ($120) + & Other Stories Perfect Pink Coat ($275): Winter wonderlands and lavish holiday parties call for a getup with plenty of elegant ladylike flair, and this festive combo definitely delivers. Shine bright all season long in a celestial A-line dress, velvet pumps and glittering gemstone drops at an intimate dinner date or office holiday party. Break up the monotony of an all-black-everything ensemble with a playful pastel overcoat and a punchy red lip.
5. Warehouse Silk Tie Side Dress ($214) + River Island Gold Jacquard Floral Blazer Coat ($180): Now isn’t the time to let your finely tuned style sensibilities down. Step into the spotlight at a swanky holiday fundraiser or special event with this silk side-tie stunner that any Instababe would straight-up swoon over. Achieve street-style star status in a snap by wearing it alongside v-shaped heels and mismatched earrings. And why stop there? Stun while in transit to your festive affair by adding this gilded jacquard number to the mix.
6. Zara Sateen Dress ($100) + H&M Pile-Lined Biker Jacket ($70): One word: obsessed. Channel your inner rock goddess with this edgy yet elegant combo that defines holiday party #goals. Let this red-hot number do all the talking and keep the add-ons sleek and understated. Throw hair back in a runway-ready ponytail and line lids with a swipe of dramatic eyeliner for a hopelessly cool effect. And don’t even think about leaving the house without a killer set of shoes — that asymmetric hemline was made to show ’em off.
7. H&M Wool-Blend Coat ($149) + Topshop Foil Spot Midi Dress ($75): Play with proportion this season to score a swoon-inducing celebratory look. Try teaming a sophisticated metallic bodycon with an oversized pinstripe coat for a look that packs plenty of holiday cheer, but manages to feel cutting edge at the same time. Opt for a side-swept ‘do, classic ankle-strap heels and a faux fur mini bag FTW.
8. Zara Off-the-Shoulder Dress ($23) + Faux Fur Leopard Coat ($169): Cold-weather blues getting you down? We’ve found the perfect remedy in this look-at-me getup. Between the beautiful bottle-green hue and cold-shoulder styling, this unfussy midi dress is the picture of modern elegance. Doll it up with dramatic pearl drops or a bold collar necklace, then amp things up 10 notches with the addition of an of-the-moment leopard faux fur coat. Don’t be surprised if a few “dahhhlings” escape your lips.
9. Topshop Drape Front Midi Dress ($100) + COS Blazer With Knot Fastening ($175): Keepin’ it classy from now until New Year’s is simple with this pretty hot pink option in your arsenal — which is a big deal if meeting your S.O.’s parentals is on the agenda. Channel a luxe look with a lavish lariat necklace, classic kicks and this fabulously feminine tie-front coat that we’re sure would get Audrey Hepburn’s approval.
10. Zara Velvet Feel Dress ($30) + Golden by Tna Sequoia Bomber ($250): Part ways with your hipster-chic style? Never! Embracing holiday traditions doesn’t have to mean kicking your personal style to the curb, and this effortless ensemble is proof. Just add swanky sneakers and a festive headpiece for a ready-to-mingle vibe.
11. Alice + Olivia Whela Embellished Cotton Mini Dress ($248) + Mango Faux Fur Coat ($150): Nothing says classy quite like a jacquard fit-and-flare dress and block-heeled Mary Janes. Tap into your inner glamazon by tossing this prim-and-proper piece on alongside a ‘70s-inspired faux fur coat and elevated hoops for a one-of-a-kind look.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.