This Throwback Hair Trend Is Making a Beauty Comeback
If you haven’t noticed, retro beauty trends have a tendency to resurface every few decades. From grunge-worthy ’90s hairstyles to ’70s fringe manis, our go-to beauty routines are always primed for a throwback upgrade. That’s why it’s no surprise that a curl-tastic trend has snuck its way back into our nostalgic hearts. Whether we like it or not, perm curls are back and bigger than ever. The mom-approved trend is reprising its popularity thanks to celebrities like Julianne Hough and Jenna Dewan Tatum, who have been rocking curly locks all over Instagram. Since then, the perm has been popping up everywhere, and now our own tresses are begging for a makeover. If you’re thinking of trying this Madonna-esque hairstyle, check out how these 10 celebs are rocking the ’80s look STAT.
1. Karlie Kloss: Is there any look Karlie can’t pull off? Her curly mane is making us swoon with its effortless, high-volume coils and beachy accents.
2. Serena Williams: This tennis pro knows how to score big when it comes to her luscious locks. Serena is looking GORGEOUS with a retro middle-part perm and bombshell thigh-high slit.
3. FKA Twigs: We simply can’t get enough of FKA Twigs’s wild-child curls. This bohemian style would be perfect for that upcoming music festival. Try using a texturizing spray to keep it looking fresh in the summer heat.
4. St. Vincent: Musician extraordinaire St. Vincent isn’t afraid to let her curls do their thing. Her permed waves are out of this world and totally achievable for any free-spirited chick.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by ilana glazer (@ilanusglazer) on
5. Ilana Glazer: We love Ilana for her comedic chops, but we can’t stop staring at her fuss-free bob. Consider this the perfect look for when you’re hanging with the girls for Sunday brunch or sipping on a nightcap with your boo.
6. Blake Lively: Soon-to-be mom Blake Lively is always experimenting with her long locks. This retro style perfectly complements her eye-catching summer bodycon dress and strappy heels.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by LION BABE (@lionbabe) on
7. Jillian Hervey: Lionbabe’s lead singer Jillian Hervey is no stranger to big, over-the-top curls. If you’re blessed with this kind of natural volume, ruffle your mane with your fingers for an effortless tousled look that will have everyone talking.
8. Bella Hadid: Bella is looking #flawless with this pompadour-inspired updo. With plenty of bobby pins and a healthy dose of hairspray, you can achieve this look for a fancy night out.
9. Jenna Dewan Tatum: Fully embrace your curly mane a la Jenna Dewan Tatum. Tame any frizz with a bit of product, or let it do its thing for a chic woke-up-like-this look.
10. Gigi Hadid: The other Hadid knows how to rock a perm too. Loosely pull your tresses into a cute side pony for the perfect girl-next-door style you can rock all summer.
Will you try the perm trend this summer? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)