Prom is one of those classic high school memories you’ll cherish forever. Sure, it might also be full of awkward moments and cringy-worthy slow dances, but you know, that’s all part of the fun. What nobody ever tells you though is just how expensive prom can be. From the ticket, to the dress, to the shoes, it can quickly end up costing a big chunk of change – but that doesn’t necessarily have to be the case. For this year’s prom, why not incorporate a few DIY elements? Not only will it cut down on cost, but it can also add a personal touch to you (or your date’s) ensemble. Here are 10 ways to DIY your way to a picture perfect prom night.
1. Baby’s Breath Boutonniere: Here’s a super simple boutonniere to pin on your date. The natural twine and white baby’s breath create an easy color combo that’ll match with almost any outfit. (via Domestically Blissful)
3. Flawless Makeup: You don’t need a makeup artist when you have the Brit + Co team to help you out! This post was originally create for wedding makeup but the glowing results could also totally work for something like prom night. (via Brit + Co)
4. Bow Tie Clutch: Who says your date is the only one who can sport a bow tie? Stash all your belongings in this adorable clutch purse. Make this bag look a little more formal by creating it in two fabrics that work best with your dress. We’re always fans of a good black + gold combo. (via Art Gallery Fabrics)
5. Glittered Heels: Feel a bit like both Dorothy and Cinderella in these sparkling heels (one of our favorite OG DIYs!). Pro tip: Make sure to coat the heels with a layer of Mod Podge over the glitter otherwise it will slowly fall off, leaving a twinkling trail everywhere you go. (via Merrick’s Art)
8. Paper Flower Boutonniere: If you’re looking for a boutonniere option that will last forever, ditch the fresh flowers and opt for something like this one made from paper. We’re betting your date is going to be pretty impressed that you crafted them a prom keepsake. (via Michele NG)
9. Beaded Statement Necklace: Why grab a statement necklace at Forever 21 when you could create a custom one? Pop this on with that handmade tulle skirt and you’ll be the Belle of the ball. (via Tuts)
10. Flower Comb: If you’re not feeling a hair accessory as bold as the flower crown, opt for one of these gorgeous floral combs instead. Pull your hair back into a low updo and tuck this in for a more subtle, but still stunning look. (via Green Wedding Shoes)
Are you DIY any elements of your prom attire? Share your ideas with us in the comments below.