Introducing 21 New Ways to Use Paper Straws (Not Just for Sippin’)
There’s just something fun about sipping your favorite drink through a colorful tube. But there’s more than one way to enjoy everything — including the humble straw. (And we’re not talking spit balls!) We love being creative with ordinary objects, which is why we’re getting crafty with our straws. Round up those leftover straws and get ready for 21 DIY straw repurposes, from party props to DIY pixie stix.
1. Straw Paper Easel: Considering that the only materials required are paper straws and glue, this DIY is thrillingly easy. Make mini easels in a variety of sizes and use them to show off your photos and the kiddos’ artwork, or turn them into colorful place-card holders. So clever! (via Wants and Wishes)
3. DIY Pixy Stix: Remember Pixy Stix, that sweet-‘n’-sour powdered candy you loved as a kid? Make your own with paper straws! You get total control of the sugar content, plus you can choose straws to match your party decor. (via Cupcake Project)
8. Sweet Sips for Mom: Gift a bouquet of flowers that never dies. Not only do these blooms make a beautiful bouquet, but they’re totally useful too. Gift them alongside glass bottled drinks for the ultimate effect. (via Oh Joy)
10. Fruit Pops: This eye-catching sweet is stunning on any dessert table. They make perfect little wands for a princess party or stunning sparkler-style treats for patriotic holidays. In true sparkler fashion, they’re sure to be extinguished quickly… chomp, chomp! (via Bakers Royale)
11. Straw and Paper Airplanes: Straws and paper strips come together to create paper planes with a modern twist. These mini aircrafts are meant for little hands to enjoy, and it is such an easy DIY that kids can get in on the crafting too. (via DIY Network)
14. Straw Bunting DIY: If you just happen to have some leftover straws hanging about, turn them into a modern, three-dimensional bunting. We’re lovin’ the bright neons in this version, but stripe straws would make a cool garland too. (via Smile and Wave)
16. Printable Chalkboard Letters Cake Bunting: Transform an average cake (or cupcakes) into a party-worthy treat by decorating it with this charming chalkboard cake bunting. Just print the letters, fold, glue and attach to straws. (via Yellow Bliss Road)
17. Banana Pops: Food on a stick is our fave… especially when the “stick” is actually a pretty paper straw. Spear banana slices, then dip ’em in chocolate and load up the toppings. (via Bakers Royale)
Are you a sucker for paper straws, too? Share your favorite use for these sippers in the comments!
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.