8 Ways to Dress like Gone Girl’s Rosamund Pike
If your last month was spent re-reading Gillian Flynn’s nail-biting thriller Gone Girl, and you lined up last weekend for the first showing of the best seller-turned-box-office-hit, then we’re willing to bet that this weekend will be dedicated to style stalking the film’s breakout star, Rosamund Pike. The former Bond girl has made jaws drop on screen as the morbidly complicated Amy Dunne, and fashion-wise, she’s proving she can turn heads with the best of ‘em, too. Sartorially, she’s carved out a consistent red carpet look for herself, wearing minimalist, feminine styles that are at once graceful and on-trend, and making a serious case for neutrals in the process. Scroll through to see Pike’s best looks + the lookalike pieces that will put you on the radar as an It girl in the making.
1. Monochrome Chic: This fall, dusty hues are having a moment. Colors from cloud gray to blush pink are dominating the racks, and those with style know-how are wearing the same washed-out shades from head to toe. Get matchy-matchy in an easy dress ($88) that will layer well under a statement jacket (we really went for it with this faux fur coat ($88), and just slip on same-y wedges ($69) to finish the monochrome look.
2. Modern Lace: Lace isn’t fussy, frilly or stuffy on Rosamund — it’s just plain cool. Channel the same effortlessly chic style with a toss-on-and-go black jumpsuit ($115) with a showy, graphic lace neckline.
3. Preppy Pop of Color: That shirt collar dress ($60) is just begging for a pop of color. Give in to the urge with a bright statement necklace ($70) and color blocked t-strap pumps ($70) that tie the polished prepster look together.
5. Structured Statement Coat: This season, it’s all about structured, minimalist outerwear. Put a trendy spin on the look with a frill-free cape coat ($149) and accessorize with a black satchel bag ($158) that’s just as refined. Add a playful touch with long-back earrings — we found our faves in the shape of pinwheels ($60)!
6. Sequined Stunner: Every woman has to splurge on a wow piece, and if you’re taking a cue from Rosamund, a sequined dress ($125 rental; $880 retail) is it. To keep things glam, opt for metallic colors arranged in a bold pattern and balance it out with sleek hair and a fresh face.
7. Thigh-High Slits: Slits are showing up in the most surprising places — case in point, on mini skirts. But what’s even more surprising is that they look very chic. If it’s on your list of trends to try this fall, go for it with a subtly slitted dress ($50) in a couldn’t-be-classier hue.
8. Maternity Glam: It’s a cinch to dress your bump for black tie events with Rosamund as your new maternity style muse. Channel the mommy of the moment in a glam dress ($92) and pair it with a chic choker ($40) and pointy black slip ons ($118), ’cause you can still look so fancy in flats!
Which of Rosamund’s streamlined looks is your favorite? Tell us how you’d style her minimalist aesthetic in the comments below.