18 Tasty Sausage Recipes You Can Make at Home
Sausage is a mighty food weapon. Full of fat and flavor, we stud many a home-cooked dish with it. It’s our secret weapon for Thanksgiving stuffing, a bevy of breakfast eggs, warm wintery soups and pasta bakes. But buying sausage in the pre-packaged section at the grocery store is for amateurs, and that’s just not you, kid. Get out your meat grinder and your hog casings, and get ready to get more than a little dirty. Just remember: Where there are guts, there is glory. Let’s sausage!
1. Breakfast Sausage: Be the captain of your own AM adventure with this homemade breakfast sausage. Keen on fennel? Double up. Can’t handle the heat? Dial back. You’re the boss. (via Love and Olive Oil)
7. Pork Sausages With Apple and Caramelized Onion: With ground pork, garlic, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, caramelized onions and sweet apples, this how-to is a home run. Goodbye, sausage. It was nice knowing you. (via Adeline and Lumiere)
12. Chicken Sausage With Basil and Tomatoes: With enough fat and a good technique, even the humble chicken can be a sausage superstar. Let this charcuterie mastermind show you how. (via Michael Ruhlman)
14. Mortadella: A traditional Italian sausage, mortadella can physically resemble the Oscar Meyer bologna of your lunchbox days of yore, but the similarity ends there. This version is sweetened with red wine, cinnamon and mace, and studded with aromatic pepper berries and merry nibbles of pork fat. A thing of beauty. (via SBS)
15. Boudin Balls: Just in case you’re living under a rock and you haven’t heard, boudin is the king of cajun food. A rice-stuffed sausage, heavily spiced and good with just about anything, this freestyle boudin-ball how-to is casing free and unfussy. We like. (via Chow)
Have any expert-level sausage-making tips you care to share with the whole class? Leave us a comment below or say hi on Twitter.