11 Foolproof Ways to Rock Shorts This Summer
You’ve been waiting for balmy temps and sunshine to come around all year long, and now that it’s finally here, there’s only one thing left on your mind — what to wear. Whether you’re dealing with a jam-packed agenda or it’s just too hot to think, the last thing you want to do is fuss around in your wardrobe, debating between a tried-and-true romper, a seemingly endless pile of t-shirts and that rad DIY off-the-shoulder dress you whipped up last week (you’re basically Stella McCartney in training) — the everyday trials of an #OOTD queen. Because you have better things to do, like sip margaritas on an outdoor terrace, we’ve done all the work for you, pulling together 11 foolproof get-ups centered around the most versatile piece in your summer capsule wardrobe — shorts. You can thank us later.
1. Zara Special Cut Top ($70) + & Other Stories Oily Shorts ($195): Enter the ensemble that makes the transition from a.m. to p.m. totally flawless. Daytime casual takes on new meaning when you style these elevated separates alongside crossover sandals and your prized sunnies, but it’s their after-hours potential that makes them totally swoon-worthy. Offering a much-needed break from bodycons and LBDs, the It-girl-approved pairing totally nails it with sleek block heels and a silver cuff.
2. Topshop Green Animal Zip Body ($35) + Zara Faux Leather Bermudas ($30): Basic isn’t exactly your thing, and that’s totally okay! Be it a gig at your favorite bar or an opening at a local gallery, this unexpected pairing won’t steer you wrong. Style this bombshell bodysuit (with a daringly low back, no less) with belted leather shorts and espadrille wedges for an edgy warm-weather look that’s 100% #OOTD-worthy.
3. COS Ruched Top With Longer Back ($115) + Current/Elliot Boyfriend Denim Shorts ($70): Usher in lazy summer days with this ultra-chill combo that was practically made for kickin’ it in the park. It’s a little bit athleisure and the epitome of effortless chic; consider this pairing your new warm-weather uniform. Style it with slip-on sneakers and an elevated backpack for running errands around town, then take it up a notch with embellished suede sandals and sparkling baubles for drinks on the veranda.
4. Rebecca Minkoff Silk-Crepe Off-the-Shoulder Top ($90) + Moschino Printed Cotton Shorts ($173): Once vacay rolls around, you’ll no doubt be itching for free-spirited maxis — but hold it right there. A few one-and-done pieces are non-negotiable, but sometimes you just have to shake things up. And that’s where this high-octane duo comes in. The vibrant hues and on-trend silhouettes feel right on cue with your envelope-pushing style, plus they make the perfect partner to your prized pom-pom lace-ups and tassel saddlebag.
5. Splendid Tie-Front Jersey Top ($85) + H&M Patterned Culottes ($40): With the Olympics on the horizon, a getup that lives up to your haute standards while showing off a bit of national pride is a must. And it doesn’t get much more all-American than this wear-anywhere pairing. Wear it all season long with an oversized denim jacket and slingback sandals for a look that gets it right every time.
6. River Island Grey Print Tank Top ($36) + Wilfred Montrouge Short ($75): Staying active this summer doesn’t have to mean saying sayonara to your fine-tuned style sensibilities. Case in point: these sporty-chic gems. The only thing missing? Neon trainers and a quirky belt bag — and don’t even think about leaving the house without a pair of aviators.
7. Mes Demoiselles Peplum Top ($116) + River Island Suede Shorts ($170): First Friday art walks, music fests and laid-back backyard bashes — this carefree combo will see you through it all. Pair with a floral crown, gladiators and don’t-care hair for the perfect balance of boho babe and street-style star.
8. Front Row Shop Pink Flared Sleeves Shirt ($38) + J.Crew Garden Short ($60): It’s time to bust out those brights. Whether you’re headed to brunch or a concert by the beach, this duo is ready to do your style proud, nailing two major summer trends at once: bell sleeves and palm prints. For maximum impact, top it off with a statement necklace and an embellished straw bag — the brighter, the better. Making a statement never looked so good.
9. Wilfred Free Arlenis Blouse ($70) + Mango Cotton Jacquard Shorts ($50): When your festival essentials start to lose their luster, take your style in a totally different direction. Trade out your fringe and flowy skirts for pieces with a more pared-down feel, like a pair of striped jacquard shorts and a chambray top in an unexpected shade of berry pink. Solidify your status as a minimalist muse with a streamlined silver cuff, dainty stacking rings and a pair of metallic Birks for good measure.
10. J.Crew Ruffle Sleeve Top ($80) + Madewell Adirondack Short Overalls ($118): Just when you thought your jeans-and-a-tee routine was growing tired, this pairing swooped in to save the day. Breton stripes, flirty ruffles and playful shortalls lend a Parisian-chic flair to your #OOTD, especially when paired with lace-up ghillies and a vintage crossbody bag. Silk scarves and red lipstick are obligatory.
11. Madewell Denim Lace-Up Shirt ($88) + Zara Frayed Hem Shorts ($50): Chambray and stripes go hand-in-hand, and this effortless pairing is proof. Taking you from casual coffee dates to the farmers’ market in style, it’ll soon become your new weekend standard. Throw in some slide-on loafers and mismatched earrings for runway-ready styling.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.