Whether you’re gluten-free or a carb loader, your relationship with bread can become rather complicated. Never is it more complicated than when the bread in question does not even look like bread, but rather a beautiful piece of art (or adorable little creature) that we would feel bad destroying. Never had that feeling? Allow us to show you nine mind-bending treats that will make you look at loaves differently.
1. Watermelon: It’s impossibly hard to believe that this is not a good-for-you summer treat. But it’s a deliciously decadent bread loaf in the form of our favorite fruit. (via Incredible Things)
2. Catloaf: Sorry, cat t-shirts and bed spreads, you’ve now been replaced by the catloaf (and her kittenloaves). (via Bored Panda)
3. Duck-Billed Platypus: Do these donuts make you do a double take? Yeah, us too. (via Foodiggity)
4. Turtle: This little turtle bread is cute, relatively easy to make and looks like the perfect “bowl” for fall soup. Or would that be weird? (via Tablespoon)
5. Pug: This one’s for people who celebrated #NationalDogDay like it was an international holiday. We are a *little* hesitant to eat anything this cute. (via Foodiggity)
6. Rainbow Swirl: This bright + beautiful bread just made it possible to literally taste the rainbow. (via Tablespoon)
7. Cecil the Lion: We have mixed feelings on the graphic nature of this bread art, but we do love how majestic Cecil looks. Bread as cultural commentary? Fine by us. (via Foodiggity)
8. Kitty Breads: If you can’t get enough of the purr-fection that is the catloaf, might we recommend a bite of kitty roll? (via I Made for You)
9. Hippo Dumplings: We’ve never had trouble eating any sort of gravy dish, but we might struggle a bit with these adorable hippos bathing in our broth. (via Foodiggity)
What’s the wackiest “everyday” food you’ve ever seen? If you have the recipe handy, share in the comments below!