‘Tis the season to start planning weekend trips, long vacations and, if you’re super ahead of the game, maybe even holiday travel? We’re all about making the most of our suitcases, weekenders and overnight bags, but are not about to sacrifice on style. To get YOU ready for a season of travel, we teamed up with the folks at The Container Store to round up our brand new (and on sale!) favorite finds from their travel section.
Before we get to our picks (you best believe they are SUPER colorful), we’re here to give you the 411 on a crazy awesome giveaway, courtesy of The Container Store. All you have to do is take a selfie (you know how to do that, right?) with your suitcase. For real.
Here’s how to enter: Share your Selfie With a Suitcase at SelfiewithaSuitcase.com or on Twitter and caption using hashtags #selfiewithasuitcase and #promo, and be sure to tag @TownePlacePromo. Just like that, you’ll be entered to win a 4-night getaway at the TownePlace Suites by Marriott® of your choice PLUS $500 in travel essentials from The Container Store!
From the most colorful suitcase we’ve ever seen to bags designed for every little thing, here are 11 ways to pack smarter for your next trip.
2. Kaleidoscope Wheeled Luggage ($99-$129 — on sale from $129-$169): I mean, that pattern? Is this real life? Aptly named Kaleidoscope, this piece of signature luggage has a mullet quality about it — party on the outside and all business on the inside.
3. Zippered Patchwork Pouches ($7 each): Confession: I have an addiction to small colorful pouches that zip. And now I’ve just added five color-blocked pouches to my wish list! These little bags are perfect for keeping small things organized when you’re on the road. Use one for makeup, one for jewelry, one for pens and pencils, one for a mini DIY kit and one for all your electronic cords. Oh, and go ahead and snag another one for all those temporary tattoos and friendship bracelets you can’t leave home without ;)
4. Go Clean Drawstring Wet Suit Bag ($18): If you’re on a vacation where swimming is an option, you best be swimming in the ocean, lake or pool on every day of your trip. To make sure your luggage doesn’t deter you from that very important task, make sure to bring a wet suit bag so you can toss your trunks or ‘kini in there en route to the airport.
5. Poncho & Pouch Twin Set ($9): Just because you’re feeling footloose and fancy free doesn’t mean the weather is on the same page. This twin pack of lightweight rainwear is a must for every trip. Each poncho fits easily over most outfits (even if you’re wearing a coat) and is as easy as throwing a scrunchy in your suitcase. Yep. We just suggested that you also pack a scrunchy.
6. Phone & Tablet Portable Charger ($18): If you don’t have a portable charger yet, it’s time to get on it. This high-capacity charger has the power to fully charge most smartphones and provide a significant boost to tablets. Forget just making sure you pack this for travel — keep this puppy in your purse at all times!
7. Hanging Toiletry Organizer ($20 — on sale from $25): This clever toiletry organizer is tricked out well beyond your usual Ziploc bag + fabric pouch combo. Made from polyester with a nylon lining, this dopp kit has a large main compartment with four small pockets to keep all your essentials in order. The attached hook makes it easy to hang up no matter what size bathroom you’re in — even for those times you need to do a quick change in the airport before heading to your best friend’s rehearsal dinner.
8. Eagle Creek Orange Pack-It Folders ($24-$27 — on sale from $30-$34): Folders for your clothes are a thing, and they are a beautiful thing that will save you from the pain of having a suitcase filled with wrinkled clothes. Each folder includes a special, lightweight folding board with folding and packing instructions!
9. Lollipop Travel Laundry Bag ($5): A travel laundry bag might just be your new favorite must-pack. Obviously, you can use it for keeping your dirty clothes separate from your clean ones. But, we can also see using it to separate things like coats or evening gowns from the rest of your stuff.
10. Go Clean Drawstring Heels Bags ($30 for 2): Keep your heels un-scuffed and your clothes un-snagged by packing your heels in these handy hot pink bags.
11. Blue Ikat Italia Smart Shopper ($15): And finally, you’re probably going to need an extra bag. This is a great tote to keep in your purse wherever you go, and a must for travel! Oh, and this sucker can carry up to 65 pounds, so your laptop, beverages and books are all fair game.
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!