How This DJ Spends Her Days Remixing The Industry
Brit + Co and Office Depot OfficeMax are so excited to share our new series, “Ask A Founder,” where we tap into the great minds of female entrepreneurs making their big idea a reality. For the past two years, thousands of women have experienced our Selfmade virtual business coaching program, led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and sponsored by our friends at Office Depot OfficeMax. Here, we ask Selfmade alum and DJ pro Sed Joseph about her aha moment, her new app StageWing, and the secret ingredient to starting her day with *clear* intentions.
- How would you describe your brand in five words? Supportive, resilient, trustworthy, reliable and straightforward.
- How do you get in the right headspace to start your day? I start with a glass or bottle of water – it helps me feel like I'm starting with clear intentions for the day and like I’m doing something super healthy for myself, like I’m watering myself to get ready to grow.
- What was your aha moment for StageWing? In 2017, I was booked to DJ a wedding in Chicago, IL. When I arrived at my hotel, I noticed my luggage had a note on it stating that it had been opened and inspected by the TSA, resulting in a damaged power cord. Immediately, panic began to set in – I only had a few hours until rehearsal. Normally, if I was in Atlanta, I would have called my network of local DJs to bail me out, but I knew no one in the Chicago area. Going through this stressful moment gave me the “aha” for StageWing to create a community of verified professional DJs and A/V companies who support each other with recommendations, industry strategies, and of course rental gear.
- How do you celebrate the small wins? I text the win to my team, document it on a Google doc that chronicles our journey, and I buy myself ice cream!
- How do you recharge? I love finding creative remixes, listening to business or self-help podcasts, catching up on social media, and taking a walk around a neighborhood pond with my partner.
- What is the biggest risk you’ve taken? I quit my job of 15 years as an executive officer and project manager for a federal government contracting firm to work full-time as a professional DJ and CEO of StageWing.
- What’s one thing you wish you knew before becoming an entrepreneur? I wish I knew how important it is to prioritize sleep. Neglecting it will strain your work performance, your mood, how you think and communicate, and even lower your immune system.
- What’s your favorite form of self-care? Long showers and vacations are the BEST.
- What are your go-to snacks? Avocado toast, dried cranberries, and cold brew coffee
- What is the most powerful thing you do in your day? I wake up grateful to have the privilege and opportunity to do what I do. When I wake up with gratitude it reflects in my professional relationships and partnerships I create.
- What is your favorite desk essential? My notebook and pen. I’m much faster at jotting down ideas and important info by hand than typing it.
- What has receiving the Office Depot OfficeMax scholarship to Selfmade done to help you grow your business? It allowed me access to a larger network of women business owners at various stages in their business. I was able to learn new ways to be intentional with my brand and I even refined my elevator pitch and website to better attract my target audience.
- What is your go-to productivity hack? Siri. She will add things to my calendar, tell me the weather, create reminders and keep timers for me. She’s truly my greatest hack.
- How have Office Depot OfficeMax services/products helped you accomplish more in your business? We are using Office Depot OfficeMax printing services for three upcoming networking events and one exhibit in Atlanta, GA, and San Francisco, CA. We will be in front of our target audience, and having Office Depot OfficeMax’s support for same-day printing and other giveaways helps us make a great first impression!
- What does the word “selfmade” mean to you? Selfmade means you are determined to be your biggest advocate to create whatever life/business/product/service you want.
Thanks Sed! Finding your why is an important part of being a successful entrepreneur. Along your business journey, Office Depot OfficeMax can help you stay organized & save timewith a suite of business services to help you accomplish more – from signs, posters & banners to get your business noticed to marketing materials to help bring your brand vision to life.