Love it or hate it, the statement socks and shoes combination will be sticking around for at least another season. But this trend extends beyond the traditional pairing of socks with heels. Think: Birks and slouchy styles, Chuck Taylors and tube socks, ankle strap steppers and glitter-flecked toesies, you get the idea. It’s the fashion girl hack that just won’t die. But before you disregard it as a style you couldn’t possibly pull off, consider giving the trend a second look.
The sock-as-fashion-item thing might feel too out there for your taste, but it’s surprising versatile. Try leaning into the trend by letting your scrunches peak out above your ankle boots or go with the tonal approach and couple pieces in the same color, giving the illusion they are one complete entity. Fishnet and hosiery type options are also an easy way to dip your toes into the trend (sorry), as they’re less bulky and feel more heel-friendly. Or you can go full quirky with a textured pair in a contrasting hue. The choice is yours. (Photos via Kirstin Sinclair/Getty, Edward Berthelot/Getty, Edward Berthelot/Getty)
If we’ve convinced you to take this style for a spin, keep scrolling for 10 pairs of upgraded socks that are totally having a moment.
1. Hysteria Marina Ankle Sock ($18): Part of a new collection from Happy Socks offering everything from glittery viscose to bright nylon options, these bold orange beauties will pop your look like that. Winter doldrums? Hell, no.
2. Maria La Rosa Colorblocked Cashmere-Silk Mid-Calf Socks ($110): If you’re ready to invest in some super luxe foot fashion, try a textured cashmere pink pair. Bonus points if you pair them with velvet or embellishment.
3. Emilio Cavallini Mood Fishnet Anklet ($16): Mix an oversized fishnet with sexy pumps or stylish sneakers. Either way, you’re guaranteed an instant edgy effect.
4. Topshop Stripe Glitter Ankle Socks ($6): Sporty and sparkly (and Gucci-esque) — right this way.
6. Lirika Matoshi Stars in Her Eyes Gold Glitter Star Print Tulle Socks ($32): It doesn’t get any dreamier than a celestial pair of embellished tulle socks. They’re like evening gloves for your feet!
8. ASOS Silver Sequin Sock ($13): Sequins on socks = hell, yes. New Year’s Eve, anyone?
9. Modcloth Dot You Where You Want Me Socks ($7): Pair these sweet stunners with a skirt or let them peak out under jeans. Either way you’re perfectly pretty — and on trend.
12. Free People Swept Away Sheer Black Socks ($10): Sheer, sleek, and sexy: What more could you want in a sock?
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.