Picnic season is here! Make sure you’re ready for your park or lakeside getaway this summer with a colorful and modern picnic basket. To get you halfway there, we’ve compiled a list of the brightest and boldest picnic baskets to DIY or buy. Choose from a slew of seriously gorgeous options, from ombre totes to refurbished metallic wicker, to hold all your picnic essentials. Take your pick and head outdoors in style!
1. DIY Rope Bag: Check out this gorgeous tote made of rope, with a cute tassel accent that brings together the ombre look. If you’re not keen to spend hours sewing, consider dip-dyeing your tote for a quick and easy makeover that delivers similar results. (via Honestly WTF)
2. World Market Havana Metal Picnic Basket ($18): Even if you aren’t necessarily going anywhere exotic for your outdoor picnic, this vibrant floral-printed metal picnic basket lets you bring a piece of the tropics with you no matter where you go. Though the Cuban-inspired tropical pattern gives off serious retro vibes, it’s definitely a modern rendition of the traditional picnic basket.
3. DIY Tasseled Picnic Basket: This pretty tasseled picnic basket started out as a thrift store find, which proves *anything* is possible. To upgrade your old picnic basket, give it a fresh finish with a coat of spray paint in the color of your choice. Finish off the look with colorful embellishments, like these tassels or some mini pom-poms. (via A Bubbly Life)
6. Target Teal Woven Picnic Basket ($15): Inspired by the classic woven picnic basket, this one takes picnicking to the next level with its modern revelations. Featuring a vibrant multi-colored teal design and made of durable polypropylene and steel, it’s a bold option guaranteed to hold up better than traditional wicker.
7. World Market Handwoven Bamboo Picnic Basket ($50): Though vintage-inspired, this beautiful basket boasts a colorful, modern appeal. Carefully handcrafted using tightly woven bamboo strips, this spacious vessel could be just the one for you.
8. DIY Metallic Picnic Basket: Give an old wicker picnic basket new life with a can of copper spray paint and metallic markers. The finished look will be an undeniably modern piece you’ll want to show off at every picnic. (via Design Improved)
9. DIY Painted Picnic Basket: A plain thrifted picnic basket is given a preppy makeover thanks to matte white and metallic gold spray paint. Pro tip: Reduce the stickiness of the painter’s tape by touching it to your clothes before applying to the basket to prevent accidentally peeling off your new coat of paint. (via Tag and Tibby)
10. Apple-Picking Basket: A basket used for apple picking doubles as a quick and easy picnic basket. For a more personalized touch, use matte or metallic paint to give it a little sprucing up. (via Rebecca Hansen Weddings / Style Me Pretty)
11. DIY Suitcase Picnic Basket: Upcycle old luggage into this modern DIY picnic basket. Thanks to a fresh coat of paint, a new fabric interior and a few elastic bands, this repurposed suitcase will take your next meal on a blanket to the next level. (via Hometalk)
12. ModCloth I Believe We’ve Meadow Picnic Basket ($50): If a classic basket holds a special place in your heart, consider this wicker beauty fitted with red-and-white gingham lining. Though more on the traditional side, its timelessness means it will last longer than just a couple of summers.
13. DIY Modern Picnic Box: Bet you’ve never seen a picnic basket quite like this one. Its design evokes a little bit of an industrial feel but comes across as contemporary chic with its bright blue colors and copper accent. (via Envato)
14. DIY Basket Backpack: Go hands-free with this DIY picnic-basket-backpack hybrid. Requiring only two materials (a flat-sided basket and two belts), this picnic hack might just be the easiest one to try yet. (via Brit + Co)
Are you ready for picnic season?! Check us out on Pinterest for more exciting summer ideas!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.