Picnic season is here! Make sure you’re ready for your park or lakeside getaway this summer with a colorful and modern basket. To get you halfway there, we’ve compiled a list of the brightest and boldest picnic baskets to DIY or buy. Take your pick and head outdoors in style.
1. DIY Rope Bag: Check out this tote made of rope, featuring a cute tassel accent that brings together the ombre look. If you’re not keen to spend hours sewing, consider dip-dyeing yours for a quick and easy makeover that delivers similar results. (via Honestly WTF)
2. DIY Tasseled Picnic Basket: This pretty tasseled picnic basket started out as a thrift store find, which proves *anything* is possible. To upgrade your old one, give it a fresh finish with a coat of spray paint in the color of your choice. Finish off the look with colorful embellishments, like these tassels or some mini pom-poms. (via A Bubbly Life)
3. DIY Watermelon Picnic Basket: Celebrate picnic season with a DIY basket that screams summer. This watermelon-inspired project requires only acrylic paint and painter’s tape. (via Studio DIY)
4. DIY Picnic Basket: Turn an ordinary basket into a practical picnic essential by creating stretchy utensil holders. Opt for colorful elastic bands for a fun pop of whimsy. (via Lovely Indeed)
5. DIY Metallic Picnic Basket: Give an old wicker picnic basket new life with a can of copper spray paint and metallic markers. The finished look will be an undeniably modern piece you’ll want to show off at every picnic. (via Design Improved)
6. DIY Painted Picnic Basket: A plain thrifted picnic basket is given a preppy makeover thanks to matte white and metallic gold spray paint. Pro tip: Reduce the stickiness of the painter’s tape by touching it to your clothes before applying to the basket to prevent accidentally peeling off your new coat of paint. (via Tag and Tibby)
7. DIY Basket Backpack: Go hands-free with this DIY picnic-basket-backpack hybrid. Requiring only two materials (a flat-sided basket and two belts), this hack might just be the easiest one to try yet. (via Brit + Co)
8. DIY Picnic Crate + Seat: Anyone else hate sitting on the ground? Between ants and your legs falling asleep, it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. This wood crate upcycle comes with a sneaky lid that’s also a seat. (via Damask Love)
9. Ban.do Deluxe Sweetheart Cooler Carryall ($48): Basket? Bag? Same difference. This hat box-sized cooler is how you make a grand entrance to the park.
10. DIY Wood Grain Cooler: Too many temperature-sensitive items mean a basket may not be an option. This modern take on the cooler will fool everyone and keep your assorted cheeses and ice cream from melting. (via Almost Makes Perfect)
11. The Little Market Petite Market Basket ($38): You can’t go wrong with a sexy red tote. Fill it up with goodies from the bodega on your way to meet the squad.
12. DIY Pom Pom Picnic Basket: Turn last fall’s apple crate into a pom-tastic gastro bucket, full of divine snacks and wine that are local to your area. (via The Effortless Chic)
13. Sunnylife Bana Leaf Cooler Bag ($36): Going to the beach for your lunch requires something a little more insulated. This bag is not only beach-friendly but also easy to clean.
14. Target Opalhouse 12 Piece Picnic Basket ($40): The Opalhouse collection is slaying the summer game, and this round beauty proves why. A little bit of color, all the essentials, and some leather straps make for the ideal boho companion.
15. Kate Spade New York Picnic Perfect 3d Picnic Basket ($398): This stylish option works perfectly as a lunch bag or cute brunch tote as well.
16. Floral Picnic Basket: Fake flowers, hot glue, and a thrifted basket are all you need for this one. (via A Beautiful Mess)
17. World Market Navy Stripe & Insulated Cooler Basket ($80): Instead of one or the other, get both a basket and a cooler with this version. It also comes with a handy-dandy picnic blanket.
Are you ready for picnic season?! Check us out on Pinterest for more exciting summer ideas!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.