12 Tasty Meatball Recipes to Upgrade Your Super Bowl Spread
Whether you’re a football fanatic or you’re just in it for the halftime show, the Super Bowl is unavoidable. But let’s be honest, the real star of any Super Bowl party is always the Super Bowl appetizers. A platter of meatballs is the perfect finger food that’s easy to make and will leave you and your guests coming back for more bite-sized goodness. From the standard sweet and spicy meatballs to a buffalo chicken version stuffed with creamy blue cheese (YAS!), these 12 delicious recipes will have you cheering for team meatball in no time.
1. Sweet ‘n’ Spicy Meatballs: Save yourself some work and pick up a bag of frozen meatballs, since the star of this appetizer is the thick chili powder and brown sugar glaze. These only take a quick 20 minutes to make, so you and your guests will be chowing down well before kickoff. (via Pizzazzerie)
2. Caprese Meatball Skewers: These caprese skewers are sure to be a hit at any party, since they’re more filling than a regular meatball appetizer and every bit as tasty. Drizzle the meatballs with balsamic vinegar before baking and layer with balls of fresh mozzarella, basil and cherry tomatoes. Serve with extra balsamic vinegar for dipping. (via Fit Foodie Finds)
3. Bacon Wrapped Meatballs: Bacon makes everything better, and meatballs are no exception. Wrap your meatballs with slices of uncooked bacon and secure with a toothpick. Cover each one in a chili powder and sugar mixture that will caramelize in the oven to take this appetizer to the next level. (via The Gunny Sack)
4. Thai Style Pork Meatballs: Made with lean ground pork and a hint of lemongrass and fish sauce to give it that unmistakable Thai flavor, these meatballs may even outshine the big game on TV. Whip up a quick and tasty dipping sauce and dig in. (via Leelalicious)
5. Vegetarian Red Curry Meatballs: Add a bit of exotic flavor to your Super Bowl spread with this vegetarian version all your guests will go nuts for. Made with frozen breaded mushrooms, red curry paste and coconut milk, these meatballs couldn’t be easier to put together. Just cook the mushrooms per the package instructions, cover in the finger-lickin’ good sauce and serve. (via Brit + Co)
6. Chicken Parm Meatballs: Use chicken thighs for this recipe instead of breasts so the meatballs don’t dry out during cooking — it’s also a cheaper cut of meat (an added bonus!). Stuff a mozzarella pearl inside each meatball and cook in your favorite marinara sauce. These would also be great in fresh hoagie rolls or on top of a big bowl of spaghetti. (via E Is for Eat)
7. Spicy Apple-Glazed Meatballs: With a nice kick from cayenne pepper and a hint of sweetness thanks to the apple juice in the glaze, these bite-sized appetizers are the perfect combination of spicy and sweet. (via Better Homes and Gardens)
8. Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Meatballs: Now even the vegans can get in on the meatball action. Made with a chickpea base and ready in under an hour, these will be a hit with all your guests — even the die-hard meat eaters. Make a few extra and freeze for up to one month for a quick, protein-packed snack anytime the craving strikes. (via Minimalist Baker)
9. Meatball Sub on A Stick: Turkey meatballs and a can of breadsticks come together to make this drool-worthy meal on a stick. Add a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese and serve with warm marinara dipping sauce. These meatball subs are not just adorable — they’re absolutely delicious too. (via Cookies and Cups)
10. Broccoli Parmesan Meatballs: Sneak some veggies into your Super Bowl snack without anyone realizing it. Imitate the classic meaty texture with a secret ingredient… ground almonds! Combine the almonds with chopped broccoli and shredded parmesan cheese and roll into bite-sized balls. Bake in a muffin tin to help the meatballs keep their shape and get the perfect crispy crust. (via Oh My Veggies)
11. Cranberry Sage Meatballs: Yes, these do taste as good as they look. Flavorful beef meatballs are infused with sage and parsley before being covered in a thick cranberry sauce. The sauce is made with fresh cranberries, orange juice, balsamic vinegar and raspberry jam, and is so good you’ll want to eat it by the spoonful. (via Gluten Free With L.B.)
12. Buffalo Chicken Meatballs: These spicy buffalo meatballs are super tasty, especially when you discover the creamy blue cheese stashed in the middle. A simple almond flour coating makes these crunchy on the outside and completely gluten-free. Toss the browned meatballs in an easy-to-make buffalo sauce and bake while you try to distract yourself for the next several minutes. (via My Life Cookbook)
What snacks are you going to make for Super Bowl Sunday? Did any of these meatball recipes make the cut? Tag us in your delicious food pics on Instagram so we can see what you’re cookin’ up!