Superfoods to the Rescue! 13 Pre-Workout Snacks
Don’t let all that hard work go to waste! When it comes to getting in shape, one of the most common mistakes is eating the wrong food. Luckily, this is also one of the easiest things to fix! Here are 13 delicious superfood-filled ways to help you feel your best before a workout.
1. Rice & Tuna Snack: Brown rice is great to eat before a workout. The carbs keep you energized, and the fiber keeps you full! (via Taste Magazine)
2. Strawberry Banana Creams: Greek yogurt has proved itself to be a great substitute for so many ingredients, especially cream! Not only will these strawberry treats keep you full, but the calcium in the yogurt strengthens your bones to prevent stress fractures. (via Pop Sugar)
3. Parsley & Pineapple Green Smoothie: Made famous by Naked Juice’s Green Machine, green smoothies are a popular workout drink — for good reason! Parsley is a great source of folate and Vitamin C, and pineapple is full of bromelain, which acts as a natural anti-inflammatory accelerating muscle repair. (via Choosing Raw)
4. Berry- Kiwi Acai Bowl: Fresh or frozen, berries of all types are full of antioxidants, helping you stay heart healthy. As a bonus, berries can even prevent soreness! (via Sambazon)
5. Peanut Butter Protein Balls: Peanut butter is definitely the superhero of superfoods. Just a little bit of it can provide enough protein to fuel your muscles and enough healthy fats to help you stay energized. These bite-sized protein balls are perfect for a quick snack before a trip to the gym. (via Just Add Sparkles)
6. Pumpkin Oatmeal: Oatmeal is your new workout buddy. It gradually releases sugar into your bloodstream, so you stay energized throughout your workout. This recipe is especially perfect during the wintertime! (via Fitness Magazine)
7. Choco-Cherry Almond Energy Bars with Chia Seeds: It’s time to channel your inner warrior! Ancient Incan and Aztec warriors ate chia seeds to gain strength and stamina, which is exactly what these bars will give you. The best part about these? There’s no baking involved. (via Dramatic Pancake)
8. Healthy Hummus: Instead of buying hummus from the store, try making your own! This simple recipe is made with chickpeas, which are full of protein. In order to make this even healthier, try dipping veggies instead of pita chips. (via Steamy Kitchen)
9. Avocado Mango Chicken Salad: Avocado? Greek yogurt? What’s not to love?! This is definitely a great healthy alternative to a regular chicken salad. It’s full of protein and healthy fats! (via Eat. Drink. Love.)
10. Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Balls: Got a craving for chocolate chip cookies? Check out these protein bars! Not only do they include protein-filled peanut butter, but they’re also made with omega-3 and fiber-filled flaxseed. Yum! (via Pop Sugar)
11. Banana Protein Muffins: Yup, it’s all about the protein. These delectable muffins are also made with bananas –– a seriously underrated fruit. While they are often regarded as too sugary, the complex carbs and minerals like potassium and fiber in bananas are ideal for a pre-workout snack. (via The Adventures of Z & K)
12. Lime, Ginger, Coconut Smoothie: This smoothie will make you feel like you’re on a tropical getaway. (And, it’s secretly healthy.) This smoothie is filled with muscle-protecting ingredients like ginger and coconut water (not to mention the essential Greek yogurt, whey protein, and flaxseed). In short, it’s a glorious drink. (via The Healthy Foodie)
13. Chili Roasted Pumpkin Seeds: Turns out these jack-o-lantern castoffs are actually really useful! Pumpkin seeds are a stellar source of magnesium, which keeps both your energy and magnesium super high. Try out these spicy seeds! (via Elana’s Pantry)
What’s your favorite pre-workout superfood? Let us know in the comments below!