10 ’90s Style Lessons We Learned from Watching ‘The Nanny’
Joining the ranks of Carrie Bradshaw and Cher Horowitz, The Nanny‘s Fran Fine (played by Fran Drescher) is proving to be our current style obsession — and for good reason. Despite debuting 26 years ago, the CBS sitcom is chock-full of ’90s trends that feel so very 2019. Need proof? Just take a scroll through the popular Instagram account @whatfranwore if you need a refresher. Beyond the title character’s penchant for bold prints and OTT sequins, it’s her treasure trove of vintage skirt suits (Moschino! Christian Dior!) that’s won us over. Ahead, we’re sharing 10 ’90s-approved looks that are jonesing for a spot in your 2019 wardrobe.
1. Rainbow-bright stripes rule. Neon hues and bold shades were all over the spring ’19 runways. Coincidence? We think not.
Staud Bain Top Striped Rainbow ($135): Spring, please get here already. Staud’s rainbow-striped top will have you channeling a warm-weather getaway before you know it.
2. Cropped sweaters and checked mini combos just work. Establish a trusty uniform, and repeat. This is just one of Fran’s iconic turtleneck and mini skirt pairings (ahem, vintage Moschino) that we can’t get enough of.
Motel Mini Broomy Skirt in Checkerboard Tan ($55): Skirt the rules by dabbling in the season’s checkerboard trend. Anchor your look with combat boots and a beret come nightfall.
3. Leopard print is a neutral. From Réalisation Par to Sandy Liang, all the big cool-girl brands are banking on this not-so-humble print.
Missguided Rust Leopard Print Cropped Denim Jacket ($60) + Missguided Rust Leopard Denim Micro Mini Skirt ($37): Take a walk on the wild side with a leopard print duo that commands attention.
4. Skirt co-ords are double the fun. The only thing more memorable than Fran’s signature bouffant is her affection for matchy-matchy Moschino skirt suits.
ASOS Design Pop Boucle Suit Blazer With Statement Buttons ($87) + ASOS Design Pop Boucle Mini Suit Skirt ($48):Day or night, work or play, this retro-fabulous boucle suit (peep dem pearl buttons) is giving us all the throwback feels.
5. Colorful tights make the look. Running errands… but make it FASHUN. Miss Fine’s purple pantyhose and Kelly Green wool Gemma Kahng suit are practically a match made in heaven.
Modcloth Accent Your Ensemble Tights in Grape ($15): Winter may be bleak, but that doesn’t mean your tights have to be.
6. Let your outerwear do the talking. Go big or go home with an extra textured topper that makes you look and feel like a million bucks.
Apparis Sophie Faux Fur Coat ($295): French-girl insouciance meets Fran Fine-level sass. We even love the scarlet red hue.
7. Puffy shirts are all the rage. If you don’t already have a puffy shirt in your possession, then the FOMO’s about to get real.
Stylenanda Pintucked Frill Trim Blouse ($42):Tuck this fanciful blouse into mom jeans for a sweetly sophisticated getup.
8. Gold chain belts are seriously underrated. Beyond the Chanel runway, you now have Miss Fine to thank for bringing chain belts back into vogue.
ASOS Design L’amore Chain Waist and Hip Belt ($23):Imagine how this chain waist belt would look fastened around a black jumpsuit.
9. Yellow tartan is everything. Sorry, not sorry, but Fran put yellow tartan (courtesy of Jean Paul Gaultier, no less) on the grid before Cher Horowitz. And she made it look damn good.
Topshop Yellow Tartan Coat ($170):Just add a stylin’ bum bag for the FROW-ready treatment
10. Always make an entrance. Slay, girl, slay. This gold-yellow Marc Bouwer gown requires no introduction.
Sandy Liang Tonya Dress ($795):No KiraKira+ filter required to shine bright like Fran Drescher. Layer this Sandy Liang stunner over a leopard print turtleneck for a downtown spin.
Will you be channeling your inner Fran Fine this season? Follow us on Pinterest for more ’90s style inspo!
Brit + Co. may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.