Top Shelf: 14 Street Style-Approved Items That Instantly Make You Stylish
While your favorite mall brands — H&M, Zara, Mango and Urban Outfitters — are rad for scoring affordable interpretations of our favorite runway trends, there comes a time in every nasty woman’s life where she needs to start diversifying her wardrobe. That enviable mix of high-and-low pieces that street style stars always seem to rock? Girl, it’s totally within reach — even without a six-figure paycheck. Not all designer duds come with a $1,000+ price tag. Each week in our new series Top Shelf, we’ll be bringing you curated lists of next-level finds from upscale labels to help you usher your closet into Instababe territory. Sounds good, right? To kick things off, we’ve scoured the interwebs for 14 wow-worthy pieces that pack plenty of runway-ready appeal.
2. Faris LadyDay Drops ($295): Costume jewelry never really goes out of style, but there’s nothing quite like baubles that come with a backstory. Made by Seattle-based jewelry designer Faris Du Graf, these bronze floral drops are a guaranteed conversation starter. Special occasions are an obvious backdrop to show these off, but they can effortlessly be styled with an oversized sweater, tennis shoes and distressed denim for an elevated everyday look.
3. Miu Miu Cat-Eye Acetate Sunglasses ($390): If you’re the type that loses sunglasses on the regular, you might want to stick with high street shades — otherwise, sidle on up to these butterfly-inspired bad boys. Layered acetate emphasizes the cat-eye shape, putting a futuristic twist on a playful retro style. When you’re looking to add extra oomph to your #OOTD without a whole lot of effort, these scene stealers will do you right every. Single. Time.
4. Pari Desai Lilac Metallic Lia Wrap Sweater ($275): Take your collection of knits higher with this elegant lilac number by Pari Desai. The Los Angeles-based label works with artisans across the globe to create unique pieces that reflect contemporary culture. When you need a break from your go-to oversized sweatshirt, this streamlined wrap makes a wow-worthy alternative. Layer it over corduroy flares and embroidered ankle boots FTW.
5. LAMARQUE Donna Lambskin Leather Moto Jacket ($475): Your leather jacket is your ride or die, but lately it’s been looking a little worse for the wear. It’s about time you give your ‘tude-laced topper a makeover, and we think we’ve found the perfect replacement in this luxe LAMARQUE style. Do yo’ thang and slip it on over a striped tee, cropped jeans and red suede boots for undeniable French girl flair.
6. Stella McCartney Printed Mid-Rise Straight-Leg Jeans ($495): Yeah, girl. Go ahead and treat yo’self to a pair of designer jeans. Much like flats, puffer jackets and logo tees, jeans have gained serious star power over the last year. With celestial styles like this one, it’s not hard to see why. Dress ‘em up for date night with a chic blouse, chandelier earrings and architectural pumps, rounding out the look with a faux fur coat and half moon clutch for good measure.
7. Whistles Willow Embellished Dress ($470): If you’re heading into the big leagues, you need a party dress that can keep up. Enter the embellished A-line dress that will put your tired LBD to shame. The classic silhouette means this stunner will be sticking around for years to come, while the shimmery accoutrements were practically made for occasions that call for popping bottles. Throw a pair of strappy gold kicks and a faux fur stole into the mix and you’ve got a glam look that will earn a few invisible high-fives from the trendsetting set.
8. Halston Heritage Acetate Lunar Box Minaudière ($450): There’s a reason resin, acetate and lucite box clutches repeatedly show up on the red carpet — they’re timeless and exude undeniable glamour. Translation: You *need* one of these bad boys in your after-hours lineup, like, yesterday. This Halston number is the ultimate pick — its sophisticated style transcends trends and would look equally as striking with a flirty cold shoulder shift as it would with a formal floor-length gown.
9. Vivetta Balenottera Azzurra Trousers ($390): Every budding street style star needs at least one pair of snazzy printed pants in their arsenal. This cropped pair more than fits the bill with its billowy wide leg silhouette and playful print that can effortlessly be dressed up or down. For an engagement party or charity event, toss ’em on with a silk top and statement drop earrings, or dress them down for the weekend with a chunky knit and booties. C’est chic.
10. Acler Bauer Blazer ($395): You just can’t fault a well-made blazer. Period. The structural ruffles on this topper add drama to an otherwise classic style and are the discerning detail that will set you apart from the rest of your boardroom buds. Wear it with black or navy trousers and a smart blouse for a fashion-forward take on the traditional suit.
11. Monographie Pleated Halo Band Shirt ($445): Logo tees might be having a moment, but it’s this bold blouse that has captured our attention. Calling for skinny jeans, mules and sculptural earrings, it’s ready to take on everything from Saturday night tapas to Taco Tuesday with your crew. The shoulder-baring style can easily be teamed with a lightweight turtleneck tee to keep drafty winter nights from cramping your style.
12. MSGM Loose Sleeves Striped Jumper ($424): With statement sleeves taking the fashion world by storm, this Insta-worthy knit couldn’t have come at a better time. The oversized sleeves lend everyday basics, like a smart pencil skirt or mom jeans, an element of visual intrigue, only heightened by the addition of a messy topknot, statement studs and bright glove shoes. File this one under off-duty show-stopper.
13. Manu Atelier Mini Pristine Shoulder Bag ($495): Look familiar? It should. This Manu Atelier mini bag has been making the rounds on Instagram, right alongside J.W. Anderson’s piercing bag. The structured shape is the perfect counterpoint to blanket scarves, teddy jackets and cozy knits, making it a must-have for your cold-weather lineup.