As fun as the latest gadgets and super trendy decor pieces can be, there’s something to be said for those traditional wedding registry gifts like appliances, cutlery and bedding. Focusing on the need-to-haves vs. the want-to-haves will set up your newlywed home for success when it comes to entertaining, lounging and just living. The traditional gift ideas below have everything you need but with a more modern, minimalist flair. That way you can just do you when decking out your living space (or when you start shopping for the best nursery decor). Add these to your registry STAT so that Aunt Sally doesn’t have a chance to go off the wall with her gift choice.
1. West Elm SMEG Toaster ($150): This new and improved toaster adds a modern mint flair to the go-to appliance. It’s available in a wide variety of colors so you can match your kitchen decor.
2. Happy Habitat Marine Kilm Throw ($160): Throw blankets are an excellent way to make a space seem more inviting, whether they’re on the sofa or bed. Opt for this beautifully vivid, patterned throw that’s made from 80% recycled cotton which you can feel good about flaunting.
3. Chemex 8-Cup Coffee Maker ($46): There’s nothing like a good cup of joe in the morning to start the day off right. If both you and your S.O. are coffee-lovers, this unique coffee maker is the one that’ll stand out from the rest of the gifts.
4. West Elm Cube Terrarium ($49): Glass and copper accents come together to create this glam yet minimal terrarium display. Place by a windowsill or your dining table to make for a cool centerpiece and great conversation-starter.
5. ModCloth Take a Dine to It Cutlery Set ($70): A golden cutlery set like this one will bring the ultimate sophisticated look to your dining table. You won’t be able to go back to plain old *silver*ware after you and your guests get a taste of the luxurious dining experience this cutlery set provides.
6. Brit + Co Agate Slice Coasters Kit ($39): Set your drinks down in style with these super classy agate slice coasters. Their vibrant colors aren’t just aesthetically pleasing; when paired with their gold-rimmed detail, these coasters will add a touch of sophistication to your new or newlywed home.
7. Willful Neon Mini Bowls – Set of 3 ($24): Your friends will appreciate being able to help you out with these statement-worthy bowls that don’t break the bank. Their fun coordinating neon colors will instantly brighten up your kitchenware and add to any spring or summer get-together.
8. World Market Gold Mirrored Tabletop Tray ($30): A mirrored tray adds instant modern glam to any space. Register for a few and add ’em to your vanity or coffee table to give your new home some decorative flair.
9. Chelsea Victoria For DENY Marble Duvet Cover ($129 – $169): Marble doesn’t look good just as floors or columns anymore. Nowadays the trend has marble showing up in decorative home accents, even duvet covers! After taking a look at this stylish blanket, it’s not hard to see why.
10. Fitz and Floyd Gold Luster Decanter ($88): Make every drink a celebratory one with this golden decanter. Its gold confetti design will bring to mind New Year’s, or any celebration for that matter. Whether you pop open a bottle of bubbly or simply choose flavored water, any drink will look immediately fancier when served in this elegant bottle.
11. Tom Dixon Brass Form Bowls – Set of 5 ($90): Instantly upgrade your servingware with this stylish set of five brass bowls. Guests will love how elegant it makes them feel when grabbing appetizers from it.
12. Menu Bottle Grinder Small – Set of 2 ($61): One approach to creating a modern aesthetic is incorporating minimalist details. The simple yet refined design of these two spice grinders will add a stylish addition to your kitchen or tabletop.
13. Kelly Wearstler Graffito Pillow ($295): These mod throw pillows are too cool to only settle for just one. Register for a few or all three to add a cool, graphic vibe to your couch or bed.
14. Foxy Originals Victoria Earring Jackets ($24): Give her something classic that she can take outside of the home. These earring jackets are the perfect blend of trend and tradition with its below-the-ear style mixed with a white and gold (aka wear-with-anything) color palette.
15. World Market Copper Cone Drip Coffee Brewer ($30): If your S.O. is quite the coffee aficionado, this drip coffee brewer is the one to get. The sleek and elegant copper finish will also add a bit of pizzazz to both of your morning routines.
16. Leif Gold Glazed Porcelain Platter ($42): With a gorgeous golden sheen like this platter, you probably won’t mind that it’s intended for decorative use only. Use to store your favorite jewelry pieces or add a vase full of flowers — its versatility is endless.
17. Yield Design Co. Brass Geo Stands – Set of 3 ($60): Display your favorite photos with these chic brass geometric-inspired photo stands. They’re simpler than frames but make twice the statement.
18. ABC Home White Steamer Set ($100 – $152): Don’t forget about your cookware! The no-frills cedar and ceramic composition of this steamer is one that embraces a traditional cooking technique with an effortlessly contemporary design.
19. Leif Copper Prism Trivet ($58): This trivet puts a stylish spin on a traditional piece with its blue and gold prism look. The design is spot-on with the geometric trend and would look great resting on your newly outfitted tablescape.
20. Urban Outfitters Full Circle Tea Time To-Go Bottle ($29): This BPA-free, heat-resistant glass bottle lets you take your tea with you no matter where you go. Simply place your favorite tea (loose or bagged) in the tea infuser, add hot water and you’re good to go!
21. ModCloth Ol’ Buddy, Ol’ Palette Coaster Set ($20): Add an element of intrigue to your dining table with these half-wood, half-colored coasters. Pair it with some other pastel decor finds and get ready to host your first spring or summer party as newlyweds.
22. West Elm Utility Oil + Vinegar – Set of 2 ($29): Minimalist-chic best describes this set of oil and vinegar jugs. Add it to your collection and there will be no more confusion when whipping up your salad dressing.
23. Fort Standard Hemisphere Copper Containers ($80 – $95): Copper, copper, copper! The glint and gleam from these metallic copper containers will instantly upgrade your space regardless of whether you choose to use them.
24. A Sensible Habit Pink and Yellow Stripey Cocktail Napkins ($16): Brighten up your barware with this fun and bright cocktail napkin. The beachy tones make it perfect for any spring or summer dinner parties the two of you have planned.
25. Bow & Drape ‘Mi Casa, Su Casa’ Pillow ($39): Embrace your love for sequins with this throw pillow that has a fitting message for you and the boo. Its subtle sequined text isn’t visually overwhelming, but instead can add a bit of modern glam to your space.
26. Tom Dixon Brew Expresso Cups – Set of 4 ($130): If you’re aiming for a more contemporary vibe, incorporate a few (or many!) metallic accents into your home. The copper finish of these espresso cups aren’t just unique, but they’ll also give your morning brew a sense of modern class.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.