What can we say? This season is all about hybrids. First we fell in love with the coatigan (half coat, half cardigan), and now there’s yet another stylish combo that needs to be on your radar. We now live in a world where leggings and trousers have come together to create treggings (we couldn’t make this stuff up if we tried!). Infinitely cooler than yesteryear’s jegging, yet right on par with of-the-moment stirrup leggings, treggings take on a more forgiving and streamlined silhouette than your traditional pair of high-performance spandex. Designed with a thicker material, these slim-cut bottoms will hold it down in the boardroom without cramping your style. And here’s the kicker: They’re SO comfortable, it won’t even feel like you’re wearing pants. They’re #winning whether you’re out and about running errands, channeling your inner boss babe at the office or trying to hide your Thanksgiving food baby. We’ve got 17 pairs of wear-everywhere treggings — and handy tips for how to style ’em! — that will straight-up stun this season.
1. Free People Tux Jean Legging ($78): Perfect for day or night, the boardroom or after-hours, these white jean leggings are guaranteed to work their magic around the clock. They’re clean and sophisticated enough to pair with a silk cami, yet edgy when dressed up with a vintage rocker tee, studded ankle boots and a fringed suede topper. TBH, you really can’t lose.
2. The Row Stratton Stretch-Cotton Leggings ($450): If your daily uniform revolves around comfort, then you best be snagging a pair of these splurge-worthy stretch-cotton leggings from The Row — AKA the purveyors of relaxed and timeless elegance. Factor in the cost per wear (‘cause you’ll obvs be parading these wardrobe workhorses around everywhere) and they’ll practically pay for themselves. For maximum impact, we recommend styling them alongside a cold weather-approved toggle cape and backless mules.
3. Madewell The Anywhere Leather Pant ($450): It’s no overstatement when we say these sleek leather pants can be worn anywhere. They’re just that versatile and ready to hit the ground running. Think: an uptown brunch with your partner in crime, a post-work happy hour or even those darn airport queues. For a classic uniform that will never steer you wrong, keep things on the DL with a chambray shirt, black slip-on sneakers and a trusty bucket bag. A signature camel coat and dazzling statement earrings may also be in order.
4. Ditto’s Kelly High Rise Legging in ’80s Blue Acid ($108): Take note: These are not the cringe-worthy jeggings you wore in the early ‘00s. Between the blue acid wash and ‘80s appeal, these denim treggings featuring a high-waisted fit will more than fit the bill for all your daytime outings. A cropped t-shirt, white tennies and an oversized puffa will have you ready for an afternoon at the ice skating rink.
5. Miss Selfridge Velvet Highwaist Legging ($39): Step aside, predictable LBDs: These burgundy velvet pants tick all the boxes (and then some) for a slew of upcoming holiday functions. Pair with a choker neck top, ankle strap steppers and a faux fur topper for a little bit of seasonal glitz and glam.
6. H&M Slim-Fit Treggings ($18): Workin’ up a sweat or hardly working? Maybe you’re heading to Soul Cycle, or perhaps you’re walking your pooch around the block — either way, it would behoove you to invest in a pair of these black slim-fit treggings that will always do you right. You don’t have to tell us twice.
7. Missguided Grey Biker Zip Treggings ($34): Watch out, Kardashian clan! These gray biker zip treggings are this close to bringing sexy back. Follow in the famed sisters’ footsteps by teaming them alongside a sheer top, a black sports bra or basically anything with a plunging neckline for major on- and off-the-clock appeal. Final step: Don’t forget to take a selfie to document your on-point #OOTD.
8. ASOS High Waist Stretch Tregging in Check ($34): Usher in an athleisure look with these preppy-meets-punk check print pants that will put your plain ol’ black leggings to shame. Can you say chicest post-gym outing ever? Toss ‘em on alongside a statement-making sweatshirt, a baseball cap and old-school kicks for an under-the-radar look.
9. H&M Crushed Velvet Treggings ($25): Fake it ‘til you make it with these sinister gray crushed velvet treggings that read nasty-woman-in-training. With the right leather topper, an ultra-femme blouse and metallic ankle boots, channeling the HBIC you’ve always wanted to be will be easy as pie.
10. Marks & Spencer Zipped Pocket Treggings ($49): Now here’s a pair of stretchy zipped pocket treggings that were made for Netflixing and chilling. Or how about that roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine? With a white v-neck tee, a leather moto jacket and some off-duty trainers on standby, you’ll have a weekend uniform that can be styled in zero seconds flat. Sign us up, please.
11. H&M Treggings ($40): Although relatively unassuming at first glance, these high-waisted jersey treggings actually have a trick or two up their sleeve. For starters, the zip-detail legs provide an avant-garde touch that will speak volumes on the streets. As for style MVP status — girl, you’re already there.
12. Topshop Faux Leather Cigarette Trouser ($60): Where, oh where have these faux leather cigarette trousers been hiding? The good news: They won’t be flying under the radar anymore. If there’s one fall/winter trend all the Instababes are rocking, it’s the leather look. Do Gigi Hadid proud by styling these trend-right trousers with a graphic tee, a bomber jacket and downtown-bound Chelsea boots.
13. Zara Velvet Leggings ($23): Be prepared to swoon hard for these taupe-hued velvet leggings that will lend some serious drama to your five-to-nine wardrobe. When you’re feeling seductive, a lace-up bodysuit, high-heel ankle boots and a vampy red lip will have you covered for whatever festivities the night brings.
14. Blank NYC Pants ($98): It takes a serious babe to pull off these rich brown vegan leather pants with a tough-girl ‘tude — but girl, you’ve got this. Resist the urge to go all-out biker on us by selecting a Parisian-chic striped turtleneck and black lace-up steppers. Come dusk, a borrowed-from-the-boys blazer and a bold red lip will have you ready to hit the town.
15. Zara Contrast Leggings ($30): Could’ve fooled us! These contrast leggings with a faux leather waistband look WAY more expensive than their actual selling price. Try a messy half-tuck during the daytime (with your favorite menswear-inspired pinstripe shirt, of course), before going all-out gamine with a tuxedo blazer and sleek ankle booties come the p.m. If the dress code reads black tie, then you best believe these black treggings will be making the final cut.
16. Mango Decorative Seam Leggings ($40): It’s time to ditch the old workout threads for a pair of these flawless treggings that were made to fit and flatter. They’ll look best teamed with a crisp white Oxford shirt and black d’Orsay skimmers for your nine-to-five or coupled alongside an oversized wool sweater and Chuck Taylors for an afternoon spent admiring the fall foliage.
17. J.Crew Pixie Pant ($98): If you haven’t had the privilege of owning a pair of J.Crew’s signature pixie pants, then we invite you to join the club. *Proceeds to add a pair (or three) to cart as we speak.* Not only are these bad boys universally flattering, but they’re the answer to all your outfit conundrums. For a getup that’s straight-up CEO, incorporate some Jenna Lyons-approved swagger a la a bow-neck blouse, leopard print pumps and smart specs — oh, and don’t forget a herringbone blazer effortlessly draped over your shoulders for good measure.
Will you be test-driving a pair of treggings this season? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.