When it comes to vegan desserts, it doesn’t get easier than this two-ingredient banana “nice” cream. Made simply with bananas and a little non-dairy milk, it’s just the thing to whip up when you’re craving something sweet but don’t feel like turning on the oven to make a batch of vegan cookies. You can even use it as a thick and creamy base for your smoothie bowls in the morning. Any excuse to eat ice cream for breakfast is a good one, right? This recipe is delicious on its own, but it also acts as the perfect base for adding all of your favorite flavors. Once you’ve made it, you’ll never be too far from vegan ice cream paradise again.
Two-Ingredient Banana “Nice” Cream
Recipe from Justina Huddleston, Brit + Co
(Yields just over 1 pint of ice cream)
- 5 ripe bananas
- 1/4-1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- optional add-ins (see below for ideas)
1. Peel your bananas and cut them into chunks. Freeze in a single layer overnight.
2. Once frozen, add your bananas to a food processor. Pulse until the large chunks are broken up, then puree until a creamy consistency is achieved, adding up to 1/3 cup of non-dairy milk until everything comes together.
3. Add any optional flavorings and pulse a few times until combined.
4. Scoop the ice cream into an air-tight container and freeze for 30 minutes before enjoying.
- Because of its comparatively low fat and sugar content, this ice cream freezes pretty solidly. Take it out of the freezer about 20 minutes before you want to snack on it so it’s soft enough to scoop.
- You can add almost anything to this ice cream to make it your favorite flavor. I added a vegan dark chocolate bar, a teaspoon of vanilla, and a pinch of instant coffee granules to mine to make a mocha chocolate chip flavor.
Other Flavor Ideas:
- Strawberry: Blend a handful of frozen strawberries with the bananas, then pulse in 2-3 Tablespoons of strawberry preserves
- Chocolate: Add 2-3 Tablespoons cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Coconut: Swap 1/4-1/3 cup of coconut cream for the non-dairy milk and fold in sweetened coconut flakes when the ice cream is blended
If you’re still craving some vegan desserts, we’ve got you covered. Just follow along on Pinterest for more craveable recipes.
(Photos via Justina Huddleston / Brit + Co)