10 Unexpected Nail Polish Color Combos to Try Now
When the cold weather settles in, a little pampering can go a long way in the fight against those OMG-winter-is-here woes. A fab manicure is a great place to start. As tempting as it may be, pass on summery shades like coral, kiwi and sunshine yellow for darker seasonal hues with a more fashion-forward edge. The current state of fall colors speaks to all of the latest runway trends, from Studio54-inspired metallics to various shades of gorgeous green. While rockin’ them solo will no doubt earn you some major style cred, coming up with unexpected pairings is way more fun. Check out 10 of our favorite color combos below, then get to mixing and matching your own.
1. Jin Soon x Tess Giberson Nail Polish in Heirloom ($18) + Kure Bazaar Afrika Natural Nail Polish ($17): Deep green and orange, both iconic fall hues, are eye-catching on their own, but together they’re unstoppable. This is the combo you’ll want to wear when you’re looking to stand out from the crowd.
3. Dior Vernis Gel Shine and Long Wear Nail Lacquer in Junon ($25) + Marc Jacobs Beauty Enamored Hi-Shine Nail Polish in Lux ($18): Brights and neutrals are always a winning combination. For a killer pairing with an ultra modern vibe, try mixing shades of gray and vibrant chartreuse.
4. Smith & Cult Nail Polish in Ghost Edit ($18) + NARS Nail Polish in Night Flight ($20): After black, navy is kind of the color. Chic, sophisticated and crazy versatile, there’s never a time when it isn’t straight-up flawless. So what could possibly make it better? A subtle side of blush pink.
5. Formula X Nail Polish in Fiery ($11) + Revlon Nail Enamel in Creme Brûlée ($6): What happens when you combine two timeless, elegant hues? Something seriously stunning. Red packs the wow-factor while a warm camel hue adds contrast and warmth.
6. Nails Inc NailKale in Bruton Mews ($14) + Formula X Nail Polish in Heroic ($13): Earthy and a little bit edgy, forest is the hue you NEED on your nails this season. Take it to the next level with a swipe of shimmery lilac polish for a festive, funky vibe.
7. Nails Inc Nail Polish in Alexa Sequins ($15) + Deborah Lippmann Fade to Black Nail Polish ($18): Swap out those playful reds and bubblegum pinks for something with a little more ‘tude. Start with a base of basic black, then bust out the glitz and glamour with a swipe of glittery gold polish.
9. Priti NYC Nail Lacquer in Old Man Cactus ($15) + Buttler London Nail Lacquer in Slapper ($15): Capturing those cold-weather vibes, sleek silver and bold teal blue are the pairing that will take you straight through to spring in style.
10. LVX Sienna Nail Polish ($16) + Julep Nail Polish in Ali ($14): Sneak in a little more marsala — Panetone’s 2015 Color of the Year — before it hands off its hot-right-now crown to the 2016 hue. Wear it with a cool icy blue to really make those digits pop.
Which nail polish color will you be wearing on repeat this season? Let us know in the comments!
You can wear many hats running a business and sometimes some look better than others. Thanks to Office Depot, we're talking with Koyun Fan, co-founder of Sticky Rice Sisters, about finding inspiration along the way and staying organized on the road to success.