25 Pairs of Velvet Shoes That Are EVERYTHING for Fall
You can deny it all you want, but the fact of the matter is that summer will eventually come to an end. As the hot, balmy days are slowly replaced with crisp autumn afternoons, it won’t be long before you’re swapping out your tissue-thin layers for chunky knits and fall ankle boots. Speaking of fall fashion, velvet shoes are the latest Instababe-approved trend that’s set for a *major* comeback this fall — and for good reason. There’s something to be said about a sumptuous pair of velvet loafers or rocker-esque booties that makes you want to take a well-calculated risk (or two). Between velvet ballet flats, sporty tennies and even HR-approved pumps, we’ve got you covered with 25 next-level velvet steppers to usher in #sweaterweather.
1. YRU Jem Velvet Boot ($125): Introducing the MVS (most valuable shoe) of the season that promises to dial up the drama, whether you’re strutting your stuff on the streets of NYC or taking the dance floor by storm. These black velvet ankle boots — decked out with holographic stars, no less — will lend a little extra sumthin’ sumthin’ to even your most snooze-worthy outfits. Pro tip: Toss these on with some mom jeans and an embroidered leather jacket for a scene-stealing getup.
2. Joie Blayze Floral Velvet Bootie ($348): The sartorial gods were clearly listening when we said we wanted a pair of luxurious velvet ankle booties just in time for fall. Dress ‘em down or dress ‘em up, these floral steppers will give you a reason to bring your A-game this season. You can even channel post-festival vibes by pairing them with a silk wrap top, mom jeans and a felt fedora.
3. Charles & Keith Velvet Ballerinas ($49): These pretty berry-hued ballerinas will look gorgeous with just about anything — that’s how versatile they are. For a plié-worthy look, try styling them with a sheer chiffon skirt or a goddess-inspired cap-sleeve dress. Running late? You haven’t lived until you’ve worn them with leather leggings and a slouchy off-the-shoulder sweatshirt for a model-off-duty look.
4. Chiara Ferragni I Feel Velvet Smoking Slippers ($295): How awesome would it be if you could personalize your shoes to match your #MOTD (mood of the day)? But actually. These velvet smoking slippers from our favorite blogger-turned-designer Chiara Ferragni are giving us all the heart eyes. The interchangeable emoji allow you to express your true feelings, whether that be happy, sad, anxious, relieved or angry.
5. Kate Spade Marcellina Heels ($328): As if the glittery heel wasn’t enough to catch our eye, the double ankle-strap detail will do the trick. Whether you have a fall soiree to attend, an upcoming birthday celebration or “just because,” these fancy rose-colored steppers are as swoon-worthy as they come. A Carrie Bradshaw-inspired tulle skirt and bedazzling statement earrings may or may not be in order.
6. Aerin Velvet Round Toe Ballet Flat ($495): Repeat after us: Ballet flats are not dead. In fact, ballerina-inspired style is having a resurgence this fall. It doesn’t matter if you’re working from home, commuting to work or heading to Paris for a romantic rendezvous (hey, it could happen!) — these classic velvet ballet flats will never steer you wrong. For max perfection, pair these beauties with a LBD or black culottes and a silk blouse for a getup that works its magic around the clock.
7. Nasty Gal Velvet Rope Burn Heels ($88): Don’t back down now: A pair of these come-hither lace-up heels will straight-up slay come dusk. When teamed with a bodysuit and a breezy wrap skirt, they’re guaranteed to give you legs that go on for days. Pssst: The bronze velvet is also perfect for everything from a candlelit dinner with bae to NYE.
8. Forever 21 Curved Strap Stiletto Sandals ($30): Go ahead and add a pair of these strappy going-out stilettos to your after-hours wardrobe. At the very least, keep them tucked away under your desk for post-work drinks and networking events that seemingly pop out of nowhere. They’ll look foolproof with a neck-plunging jumpsuit, black slacks and even cozy sweater dresses.
9. ASOS Hitch a Ride Lace Up Mules ($73): Have a pair of red carpet-worthy velvet mules, will find an excuse to parade them around town. These lavish teal peep-toe heels, complete with a sultry tie-leg detail, will absolutely steal the show. Thankfully, there’s still time to find the drop-waist dress or high-slit gown of your dreams to complement your prized new steppers.
10. Jeffrey Campbell Ariane Lace-Up Suede Flat ($160): Resist the urge to pair riding boots and ankle booties with every fall #OOTD by tossing these dramatic flats into the lineup. The bungee-style lace-up design will elevate all your flannel button-downs, nubby knit sweaters and corduroy pieces this season. Gear up for a night on the town by teaming them with a neck-plunging top and skinny jeans.
11. T.U.K. Nosebleed Velvet Lace Up Mega Platform Ankle Boots ($161): Oh yeah. The ‘90s grunge movement is alive and well this season, especially with these chunky velvet platform ankle booties making an appearance. More high-fashion and glam than your regular ol’ combat boots, these bad boys will elevate everything from a post-festival-season maxi skirt to a metallic bomber jacket.
12. Miista Taissa Heel ($240): Minimalist enthusiasts, unite! These embroidered velvet steppers featuring a square toe won’t go unnoticed when styled alongside wide-leg trousers or plain ol’ skinny jeans. The sensible stacked heel is the perfect way to add some extra height to your look without sacrificing comfort.
13. ASOS Daisy Street Pink Crushed Velvet Point Heeled Ankle Boots ($54): Why, yes, those are pink velvet ankle booties — for the most girly girls at heart, of course. To avoid appearing overly sassy, toughen ‘em up with a black leather moto jacket and a denim button-front skirt, or keep it simple with a form-fitting fit-and-flare dress.
14. Mango Platform Velvet Sandals ($80): Bell-sleeve dress for rooftop drinks? Check. Girl-boss jumpsuit that doubles for work and play? Check. Velvet platform sandals that can stand on their own? Triple check. Just you wait: These burgundy steppers are this close to becoming your new hero piece this fall.
15. ASOS Katch Up Velvet Heeled Over the Knee Boots ($97): As the dog days of summer come to an end, it’s only a matter of time before you’re craving a pair of velvet over-the-knee-boots. When you factor in fall tailgates, trips out to the vineyard and haunted hayrides, you’ll be glad you were on board with the OTK trend sooner than later. When in doubt, above-the-knee skirts and dresses always look fab.
16. ModCloth If I d’Orsay So Myself Flat ($35): Sprinting to work in wobbly heels? Thanks, but no thanks. Combat a case of the Mondays with these lace-up d’Orsay skimmers that won’t cramp your style one bit. What they’re lacking in height they more than make up for in luxe details. For a look that exudes French-girl sophistication, toss them on alongside an accordion-pleat skirt and a striped tee.
17. Dorothy Perkins Red Carmen Trainers ($39): Comfort is luxury, people! Sure, a pair of velvet steppers may look DDG during the daytime, but how many fashion bloggers can actually attest to being comfortable too? These sensible red velvet trainers are made for the girl on the go with a sched that gets busier by the second. Not to mention, these tennies look ah-maz-ing with a leather skirt and a minimalist pullover.
18. Sam Edelman Fynn Suede and Leather-Trimmed Velvet Ballet Flats ($120): Now here’s a plot twist: Your trusty sky-high heels take a backseat to your well-loved ballerinas. We bet you didn’t see that coming! These midnight-blue stunners, featuring a charming ankle strap, can serve double-duty for a black-tie affair (just toss on a slip dress) or a casual weekend brunch (high-waisted shorts and a blazer will more than suffice).
19. Jeffrey Campbell Chika Crushed Velvet Platform Slingback Heeled Sandals ($120): Dinner reservations for two at a swanky new restaurant in town? You’re going to need these retro navy slingback heeled sandals in your arsenal for safe keeping. Start channeling tough-girl vibes all season long by dressing them down with a vintage band tee and a tapestry mini skirt.
20. ASOS Debbie Velvet Bow Trainers ($41): Step aside, Yeezys — you have company. Embrace the athleisure look on your terms this season by test driving a pair of these Parisian-chic velvet bow trainers. These free-wheelin’ (and blister-free) slip-ons will have you ready for back-to-school with some off-duty overalls in tow.
21. J.Crew Lena Pumps in Velvet ($268): If J.Crew has anything to say about it, velvet chunky block heeled pumps will be in your #OOTD rotation before fall even makes its debut. These retro forest-green heels are already begging to be teamed with a herringbone blazer or elevated schoolgirl-inspired pinafore dress for the office. Take note: They’ll just as easily double for a fall wedding or a business-casual lunch meeting downtown.
22. KMB Velvet Sneakers ($148): Sorry, not sorry, but your old gym sneakers just aren’t going to cut it when it comes to wowing the higher-ups at boardroom meetings. But don’t be mistaken — you don’t have to ditch the kicks completely. These blush pink tennies will give you a reason to adopt a laid-back ‘tude during your nine-to-five. Think: tie-waist trousers, a crisp button-down and a smart blazer.
23. Zara Velvet Loafers ($50): Going hand-in-hand with your collection of crew neck sweaters, tweed skirts and waxed field jackets, these blue velvet loafers will be right in line with your classic preppy style. Not into the refined collegiate look? They can just as easily be styled with a borrowed-from-the-boys chambray shirt, a blanket scarf and jeans for a low-key weekend spent running errands or hitting up the pumpkin patch.
24. Valiant Mule Pointed Court Shoes by Unique ($280): Between the game-changing shade of chartreuse, the backless style and that clear strap, these “ugly-chic” court shoes are destined for sartorial greatness. Let them peek out from under a pair of boho flares for a free-spirited look, or class them up with a twirl-worthy midi skirt.
25. Nasty Gal Crosswalk Spot Me Leopard Velvet Heel ($149): This just in: You need a pair of rawr-tastic leopard print heels that put the va-va in the voom. Take a walk on the wild side by teaming these fierce lace-up steppers with a black bodycon dress or cropped denim flares for an upcoming GNO. Your move.
Will you invest in velvet shoes this fall? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.