16 Show-Stopping Ankle Boots That Will Make You Want to Skip the Rest of Summer
Fall is on the horizon, people, and there’s no better way to usher in the official start of the new season than with a fresh pair of kicks (because duh). To ensure your feet and fall wardrobe are up to 2016 standards, an all-star pair of ankle boots (or two, or three) to combat the elements and transition your favorite summer pieces for fall is definitely in order. Whether you’re looking for scene-stealing embellishments to elevate a favorite sweater dress or just want a streamlined set of steppers for everyday wear with an arsenal of fall fashion essentials, you’ll find it all right here. Check out 16 pairs of fall ankle boots that will have you thinking twice about slipping into the same ol’ set of snoozy flats.
1. Vagabond Kaley Leather Ankle Boots ($175): There’s no time like RN to scoop up a pair of snakeskin-inspired steppers. Besides the chic factor, these exotic stunners will keep your toesies covered in the face of dropping temps. Wear them with cropped flares, a rib knit sweater and a shearling-lined coat for a decidedly ’70s-esque ensemble.
2. Zara High Heel Leather Ankle Boots With Toe Cap ($139): With Aurora Red being one of this season’s must-wear colors, the timing of these fiery steppers couldn’t be better. Their toe cap detailing and streamlined style will straight-up stun whether you wear them with an airy floral dress or chic suiting.
3. Mango Contrast Material Ankle Boots ($130): It’s time to step up your style game with these ultra modern boots that will fit right in with your It-girl aesthetic. For an off-duty look, a pair of cropped jeans, ruffle neck blouse and jacquard boyfriend jacket will earn you a place of prestige among the fashion set.
4. Topshop Kiwi Flower Boot ($70): Sky-high stilettos just aren’t practical when fall rolls around (especially when it comes to navigating rain-slicked sidewalks and black ice); luckily form and function go hand-in-hand this season with lug-sole boots undergoing a major makeover to bring you sturdy shoes with high-fashion sensibilities. Case in point: these flowery embellished stompers that are serving up the perfect blend of fierce and feminine panache. Style with a jersey midi dress, pendant necklace and snuggly longline cardi for an easy-breezy look any ‘90s style icon would swoon over.
5. & Other Stories Tassel Detail Suede Ankle Boots ($245): Nada to wear? Not even a thing when you add these two-tone ankle boots to the equation. When your Stan Smiths and lace-up flats start to feel meh, these tassel-trimmed numbers will infuse your ensemble with just the right amount of ‘tude.
6. Topshop Portugal Limited Edition Boot ($190): Any of-the-moment shoe that looks this DDG with everything from overalls to mini dresses is an all-around winner in our book. Run, don’t walk, to pick up these limited-edition boots STAT — they’re guaranteed to sell out!
7. Bella Vita Mod Moto Bootie ($210): Do moto boots ever actually lose their appeal? We’re going to go out on a limb and say no. This lust-worthy Italian leather set — complete with badass studded straps — is everything. Embrace your inner bohemian goddess by dressing them up with a suede patchwork skirt, round sunnies and a peasant top for an afternoon of boutique hopping or an upcoming film fest.
8. Lost Ink Denny Floral Cut Out Heeled Ankle Boots ($62): Fact: It’s impossible to have a bad day when your steppers are this on-point (these flowery dreamboats are basically summer incarnate). Put the chic in sports chic by pairing them with a sleek slip dress, a turtleneck tee and a mesh bomber jacket. Bonus points for an embroidered beanie and luxe backpack.
9. Daisy Street Star Print Denim Heeled Ankle Boots ($57): If you simply can’t get enough of the whole denim-on-denim trend, you’ll fall head over heels for these star-studded boots. Keep it real by tossing on a suede pinafore, plaid shirt and lined jean jacket for a foolproof off-the-clock outfit.
10. Mango Decorative Buckle Boots ($80): Obsessed would be an understatement. The transformative powers of these mod mid-century boots are unmatched; whether you style them with a plain old tee and jeans or a leather mini skirt, you’re guaranteed #OOTD gold.
11. Zara Flat Military Ankle Boots ($70): You don’t have to count yourself among the grunge goddess crowd to rock a pair of combat boots. These khaki-colored stompers will practically pay for themselves once their wear-anywhere potential fully reveals itself. While they’re a shoo-in for your jeans-and-tee routine, their ability to toughen up flirty, feminine pieces is what will keep you coming back for more.
12. Kendall and Kylie Ella Lace Up Peep Toe Booties ($199): Unpredictable fall weather calls for a pair of lace-up booties with an undeniably sultry side. The exposed front and open toe let feet breathe when things start to heat up, while the suede upper brings just enough protection to the table to ward off dipping temps. For a look that knocks it out of the park, DO throw in some printed trousers and a sheer frilly blouse. A signature red lip is obligatory.
13. Kurt Geiger Nova Ankle Boot ($355): Life’s too short to play it safe. Live a little with these contemporary boots that are ready to come out and play. Put a fierce finish on your usual Saturday uniform by throwing these bad boys into the mix.
14. Kelsi Dagger Jalen Boot ($160): Go ahead and add a pair of rad Western boots to your collection, because these toffee-colored numbers are just too good to pass up. Perfect for both work and play, they nail it every single time (yeah — they’re that good). #Winning
15. Rodarte Patchwork Boots ($425): Start saving up for these patchwork stunners now — they’ll easily be the best purchase you make this season (and many more to come — they’ve got that forever thing going for them). Whether you style them with a mini skirt and a sheer floral blouse for dinner with bae or a long-sleeve bodysuit and boyfriend jeans for Sunday brunch, the sartorial options are endless.
16. Lost Ink Geneva Gray High Cut Clear Heel Ankle Boots ($78): Get ready to rack up the compliments with these patent point-toe boots that are throwback perfection. When styled with a graphic mini dress or pleated culottes, you’ll be more than ready to take on Friday night in true girlboss fashion.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.