Between rising temps, pool parties and wedding waterworks, summertime is not exactly makeup’s BFF. And decent waterproof cosmetics can be harder to find than an earring at the bottom of the pool. Whether you are going for beachside minimalism or primping for an all-night outdoor dance party at your cousin’s nuptials, we’ve pulled together these sweat-proof, heat-proof and life-proof tips to ensure your makeup stays on that pretty face.
1. St. Tropez Everyday Gradual Tan ($25): Want to pull off that natural sun-kissed look? This self-tanner, with formulas for your body or face, will help you keep the makeup to a minimum while providing a very real-looking faux glow.
2. BB Tinted Treatment 12-Hour ($35): For longtime wear with the added boost of SPF protection, Tarte’s BB cream is amazing for summer. This multi-purpose beauty balm is lightweight, eco-chic and comes in a variety of shades.
3. Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation ($32): Sometimes a light coverage or tinted moisturizer just won’t cut it. Whatever splashing or sweating may come, this full-coverage SPF10 foundation won’t quit.
4. Lancôme Effacernes Waterproof ($30): Dark circles don’t belong at a pool party, but you do.
5. Smooth Operator by Tarte ($44): This concealer is truly a magic stick. Made with Amazonian clay, with no added dyes or parabens, it’s designed for brush-free application. That’ll save some valuable space in your makeup bag.
6. Lorac Behind the Scenes Eye Primer ($21): In the summer, we typically skip the eyeshadow, but don’t often skip this primer. It’s lightweight, doesn’t crease and brightens eyes with or without shadow.
7. Aqua Cream by Makeup Forever ($26): Along with a lid primer, a cream eyeshadow is going to have a far better chance of summer survival than a powder one. This cult favorite is pigment-packed, waterproof and comes in soft neutrals as well as wild brights like blue and green.
8. Stila Smudge Crayon ($16): This all-in-one product is boss. It primes, shades and lines your eyes in just one or two swoops. It’s gel-based and has a handy pencil sharpener hidden in the base.
9. e.l.f. Eye Primer + Liner Sealer ($6): The primer is a’ight, but the liner sealer is pretty dang incredible. Just brush it over your regular liner and you’ve got instant waterproofing.
10. Hourglass Illume Creme-To-Powder Bronzer Duo ($40): We have been crushing hard on this versatile compact. The creme formula goes on velvety soft, and the matte bronzer helps your face look like a billion bucks without blotching or streaking.
11. Benetint ($30): Benefit has figured out how to bottle a universally flattering rosy glow. But this smudge-free tinted cosmetic has a secret: It doubles as a lipstick!
12. Chill by Urban Decay ($30): This setting spray helps makeup stay potent for up to 12 hours, and the cooling element is an added bonus on hot summer days.
13. Diorshow Waterproof Mascara ($25): Most waterproof mascaras are terrible, clumpy, dry disasters… but definitely not this one!
14. Cannonball by Urban Decay ($20): The name says it all. This gel formula is a must-have for your next poolside BBQ.
15. The Falsies by Maybelline ($8): You don’t have to dive too deep into your pockets for big beautiful lashes. This drugstore gem is a blogger favorite.
16. Lash Genius by Anastasia ($21): This topcoat waterproofs any mascara. Are you wondering why you didn’t think of that first? In addition to morning swims, this lacquer is perfect for weddings when you want to wear your favorite mascara, but need it to be tear-proof. This writer has tested this at her own wedding, on top of Benefit’s They’re Real. No raccoon brides here!
17. Maracuja Rainforest Glow ($39): Budge-proof body makeup that will help hide varicose veins instantly. Not that we have any… but we’ll take, like, four bottles please.
What are you waterproofing? Let us know your favorite products in the comments!