20 Must-Try Summer Makeup Trends
Summer makeup is all about being fresh and fun, whether you’re laying a foundation for that straight-off-the-shore look that’s minimal and just a little bit bronze or taking “beach babe” to a whole new level with pops of color and dark definition. Be sure that your pre-makeup ritual includes exfoliating, moisturizing and applying plenty of SPF – the key to stunning summer makeup is healthy skin, after all. Now that you’re prepped to catch some rays, take the plunge into the 20 hippest makeup trends of the summer.
1. Sun-Kissed Skin: Get this total beach babe look by layering two tones of bronzer on the areas that usually get color first – forehead, nose, cheeks and chin. Even add a bit to the lips and eyelids for that all-over summer glow! (via Free People)
2. Shimmery & Smokey Shades: The casual Friday of smoky eyes, this twist on the classic is one of our new everyday faves. It’s all about the shimmer base here, so make sure your eye shadow has a good amount of lustre. (via Refinery29)
3. Pop of Neon: Rule of thumb for this look is go in with the neon and out with the neutral. Start by applying a light brown eyeshadow to the outer and blend up towards the center where it will meet the neon, and drag this vibrant shade all the way to your inner eye corner. (via Beauty Breakdown)
4. Sultry Summer Look: Leave your powder behind this summer and choose a strong liquid foundation that you can blend into oblivion. The combo of bronzer and blush will be your bestie through late August. (via A Model Recommends)
5. Stay Flawless 15-Hour Primer ($32): We’re dedicating our flawless summer faces to Ann at Cult of Pretty for turning us onto this magical primer by Benefit that puts the lockdown on your foundation for not one, not two, but 15 whole hours! That means you can basically drive the length of the state of California and not worry about reapplying during an epic summer road trip!
6. Grunge Glamour: Don’t you dare pick up that flannel. We’re giving what’s usually a couldn’t-care-less style a sophisticated polish. To get this glammed out but still grungy look, apply thick charcoal eyeliner over a cream shimmer shadow and a few rounds of mascara. (via Topshop)
7. Nude Lip: Eliminate the pink tone from your lips to create perfect balance with a classic defined eye. Use concealer to create a neutral base before you finish the look with a nude lipstick and sheer gloss. (via Divine Caroline)
8. Teal Eyeliner ($19): Channel your inner mermaid for this bold summer color trend. All shades within the blue-green spectrum are a go – from sky blue and sapphire and aquamarine to seafoam – so you’ll be able to find a color that suits your style. Stand out from the crowd with a teal cat eye or for a subtle pop, trace along your lower lash line and pair with a copper shadow.
9. Waterproof Makeup: Whether you’re diving into the deep end or lounging in a tropical climate, get your makeup to stay in place by choosing water-resistant products like waxed based eyeliner. Give your makeup something to grip with with long lasting primer for your face and lashes, and finish with a setting spray. (via Michelle Phan)
10. Big Natural Lashes: Curl. Define. Repeat. That’s the basic process to get insanely lush lashes without applying falsies. Be sure to use volumizing mascara to make your lashes appear as thick as possible and to finish with a white liner along your water line – it will make your eyes look bigger and brighter! (via I Spy)
11. Romantic Silver Eyes: This angelic look will send Cupid job hunting. Apply metallic liquid liner across the entire eyelid strongest at the lash line and fading up toward the brow. A pat of clear lip gloss at the cheekbones and temples will accentuate this ethereal look. (via Telegraph)
12. Everyday Glow: Even if you’re not catching enough natural rays, you can still get that coveted summertime glow by busting out the blush. For an authentically tanned look choose a matte blush with brown undertones. (via AM.)
13. Berry Shades: The season’s abundance of berries shouldn’t only be reserved for inspiring ice creams and boozy drinks (although we like the sound of that!) Mimic these rich tones in your makeup: try blending pink sweet cherry and blackberry-colored eyeshadows for this romantic look. (via Ann Street Studio)
14. Healthy Brows: Quit your pluckin’ – big eyebrows are in this summer. Rather than painting on a sultry vintage brow to fill in any sparse spaces, promote natural growth with castor oil! Be sure to let your lashes in on the castor oil love too. (via The Beauty Department)
15. Matte Lips: This tutorial gives you a trio of methods to achieve this super modern look by using either matte lipstick, a lip pencil or shadow paste. The middle roads provides the most long lasting and fun way to make your lips matte: by connecting the dots! This gradual approach to filling in your lip is best for precision. (via The Beauty Department)
16. Simply 60s Inspired: The sweet look of the 60s is swingin’ this summer. The goal here is to have intensely defined eyes, so darken the crease of your eyelid with a brown shade and sweep horizontally for that retro wide-eyed effect. Don’t forget to add mascara to your bottom lashes to finish off this look. (via Ruche)
17. Everyday Fresh Face: Start with a neutral base and then sparingly apply high and lowlights to your eyes and cheekbones to achieve this balanced look. For summer, browns and bronze are the contouring colors of choice. The coral lip tint packs a punch full of flirty vigor that is not to be overlooked. (via Offbeat + Inspired)
18. Tastefully (Fake) Tan: To look like a million bronze bucks, indulge in a high end self tanner. Self-tanner with a dark tone will allow you to see where you’ve missed a spot on your body and gracefully recover, while the key to getting a tasteful tan look on your face is to blend really, really well. Don’t miss your neck and hairline! (via NY Daily News)
19. Pretty in Pastels: Look like a total sweetheart when you get playful with pastels. Achieve a glowing softness with a smear of cream eyeliner under your brow arch and top if all off with whimsical lavender shadow and a pretty petal pink lip liner. (via Modcloth)
20. Perfect Summer Red Lip: We’re firm believers that the classic red lip should be puckered year round. The trick to wearing this look during summer is choosing a bright shade like “stop sign” red or one that is tinted with citrus or coral. (via Vogue)
What’s your go-to summer makeup look? Any awesome products we should know about? Tell us in the comments below.