Knit Your Way to Warmth in These 11 Winter Hats
Whether you’re hitting the slopes or just wandering around town, staying cozy in the middle of winter can be a definite challenge. The first rule in creating some body heat is making sure you keep that head warm. Enter your tried-and-true cold-weather friend: the beanie. Paired with some braids or wavy locks, this snuggly cap is just as cozy as it is practical. So for a winter accessory this timeless and crucial, why not learn how to make your own?
Never knitted before? No biggie. You can pick up the skill in as little as 70 minutes with our Knitting For Beginners E-Class!
In this class taught by the awesome, dynamic and hilarious Jade Harwood, co-founder of Wool and the Gang, you’ll first learn how to choose your yarn and how to hold the needle. From there, Jade will walk you through starting a project and three basic stitches. She’ll finish the class by teaching you quick and easy fixes for common problems or mistakes. At the end, you’ll have your very own knitted snood.
Once you’ve mastered the basics, take things a step further and try your hand at circular knitting – the key to creating beanies. Before you start casting on, it’s always a good idea to hunt around for some inspiration and motivation. From a cozy boyfriend beanie to a delicate headwrap, here are 11 winter hats to tackle once you’re a knitting master.
2. Big Looped Hat: This one definitely isn’t for the timid, but if you’re looking for a way to keep that tête extra warm, this chunky style will most certainly do the trick. To tone it down a tad, simple leave off the giant pom pom (via Lebenslustiger)
3. Chambray Headband ($5): If you’re starting to feel more confident in your knitting skills, buy this headband pattern that has a bit more of a feminine touch than the classic chunky wrap.
6. Giant Pom Pom Beanie: Here’s a statement piece you can make that doesn’t require advanced knitting skills. Grab some chunky yarn and create a basic slouchy beanie, then attach this massive pom pom in any color you like. (via Babble)
7. Double Pom Pom Beanie: If that giant pom pom wasn’t enough for you, how about this statement beanie complete with not one, but TWO pom poms? Whether you want a hint of animal ears added to your look or you’re just crazy about the fun embellishment, we say go for this crazy cap. (via Gina Michele)
8. Zig-Zag Chevron Hat: Feeling brave? Add a fancy pattern to your hat! We’re crazy over this vibrant chevron design featured in this pattern. Cozy and chic are never a bad combination. (via Knit Nat)
9. Purl Knit Turban ($5): Grab this pattern and knit your way to most fashionable winter headwear there is. This unique take on a classic knitted cap will look just as good as it feels.
10. Starflower Beanie ($3): Add a little bit of charm to your headwear with this pattern for a buttoned beanie. Tuck your locks into the back or leave them out — either way you’ll be looking like a wooly wonderwoman.