15 Stunning Dresses to Wear to a Winter Wedding
Dressing for a winter wedding is no easy feat. Confusing dress code etiquette aside — black tie only or semiformal? Or is it Sunday best?! — the real doozy resides in dealing with unpredictable weather. In the midst of a potentially treacherous commute (hello, snow- and ice-covered sidewalks!), there’s nothing worse than showing up in a strapless gown when a long-sleeved dress would have been a more sensible (and warmer) option. Because no one wants to be that guest. Look no further than these 15 dresses that sport thicker fabrics, longer hemlines and all-around more coverage against the elements.
1. & Other Stories Embroidered V-Neck Dress ($195): When you’re tagging along as the plus one at a wedding with a cocktail reception, jewel tone dresses are always a safe bet. Style this shimmery embroidered number with a quilted cross-body bag and pointy toe pumps.
2. COS A-Line Tulle Dress ($125): It doesn’t get much more classic and black-tie appropriate than this little black tulle dress with sheer sleeves. Style it with simple pearl studs and lace-up ghillies for a formal wedding in the city. Pro tip: Fight off the wintry air with a fuzzy coat and swiss dot tights.
3. French Connection Linea Lace Shift Dress ($248): Don’t let the punchy palette fool ya; this lace shift dress is definitely after-hours approved. Style with a tweed boyfriend blazer draped over your shoulders and some ankle strap shoes.
4. H&M Dress With Fringe ($50): Make all-over embellishments your wedding style M.O. this winter with a fringed dress that will turn heads with your every move. Try it with a vintage leather jacket, some dainty rings and d’Orsay flats for a vintage-themed winter wedding.
5. Zara Studio Dress With Back Slit ($129): For best-dressed-guest appeal, break out this long-sleeved dress with unexpected details. A back slit and the cornflower-blue color will make you stand out from a crowd of LBDs. Wear it with minimalist hoop earrings and mirrored platform wedges to a modern, cold-weather wedding.
6. Eliza J Marlow Gown ($228): Got a wedding down south this winter? Besides southern hospitality, a southern wedding also means milder winter weather. Pack on the charm with this eye-catching floral gown, complete with a girly pink sash. Cowgirl boots may or may not be required to match the bridal party.
7. Reformation Marmalade Dress ($198): Bon voyage! An overseas wedding set in a romantic city with a fashionable reputation (Paris and Madrid, we’re looking at you) means that you have to be on your outfit A-game. Pair this black mini dress with a petite circle bag, ‘70s-esque clogs and a red pout for a stunning ensemble fit for any winter fête.
8. Mango Wrap Neckline Dress ($130): When the dress code reads fierce, you need a metallic wrap dress with this much panache in your arsenal — and when the temperatures are single digit, you want to stay covered up without losing any sex appeal. The shiny finish and show-stopping silhouette on this stunner are practically begging to be paired with a body chain and some loose mermaid waves.
9. Kimchi Blue Floral ruffle Wrap Dress ($79): Keep things girly and romantic for a winter wedding that falls over Valentine’s Day weekend. This floral dress can be prepped for winter layered over a tight turtleneck and slick patent leather booties.
10. Forever 21 Shirred Maxi Dress ($28): It doesn’t get much more foolproof (seriously, just slip this guy on and go) or winter appropriate than this black maxi dress. Jazz it up with a metallic belt and a faux fur clutch for a red carpet-worthy wedding.
11. ASOS Lace Placed Caftan Maxi Dress ($172): Float across the ballroom floor in this minty fresh maxi dress that will be right in line with your bohemian sensibilities and give you some much-needed coverage when the temperatures drop. Slip on some sparkly flats and a flower crown for your free-spirited sister’s wedding.
12. Nasty Gal Zealot for Velvet Dress ($88): There’s no backing down now — ditch your slew of traditional dresses for this sartorial game changer. We can’t decide what we love more: the majestic royal blue, the mock turtleneck style or the open back.
13. & Other Stories Embellished Silk Dress ($325): Don’t let frigid temperatures cramp your style. Avoid frostbite a la this striking red maxi dress with lace sleeves. Toss on an extra-long bomber jacket and OTK boots to stay warm during your commute to and from the celebration.
14. Topshop Livonia Dress by Unique ($435): There’s something to be said for a winter floral print, especially when it’s this alluring. Perfect for an intimate yet picturesque wedding in Central Park, this mockneck dress can be paired with metallic steppers or modern day go-go boots for a high-fashion look.
15. J.Crew Cara Long Dress in Nightshade Floral Silk Chiffon ($298): Your BFF’s big day calls for a dreamy chiffon gown that will straight-up stun once you enter the room. This one-shoulder number can easily be paired with an oversized blanket wrap for outdoor photo ops with the bridal party. Major bonus: You could totally re-wear it for a bevy of fancier affairs.
Which of these dresses would you wear to a winter wedding? Follow us on Pinterest for more wedding inspo.