Here at Brit HQ we love a good style hack, and we love it even more when it’s inspired by one of our favorite celeb’s style! Earlier this week Kendall Jenner rocked an Alexander Wang sweatsuit that probably cost a pretty penny. But don’t worry about the price because when you DIY you don’t need to spend a lot of money to have style like the celebs! With this quick style hack you can turn your winter sweatsuit into a brand new summer piece to lounge in or rock to brunch with the gals. Thanks for the inspo Kendall!
Materials + Tools:
— sweatshirt + sweatpants
— sewing machine
— sewing pins
— fabric scissors
1. Cut above the knee of your sweatpants to turn them into sweatshorts.
2. Use fabric scissors to cut off the sleeves and waistband of the sweatshirt.
3. Cut up the center of the sweatshirt and then cut the collar into a deep V.
4. Use a 9-inch square of fabric from your pant leg to create the wrap of the sweatshirt. Lay the square onto the sweatshirt with the edge of the square following the diagonal edge of the V-neck cut. Trim the edge to make it straight and pin to the edge of the sweatshirt. Then sew. Follow the same steps for the other flap of the sweatshirt.
5. Fold the right side flap over, pin and sew to the left side seam of the sweatshirt.
6. Follow the same steps for the left flap of the sweatshirt — fold over, pin and sew to the right side seam of the sweatshirt.
Summer time means more skin and less clothes — cut off the bottom of the sweatpants to turn them into sweatshorts.
Use your fabric scissors to remove the sleeves and waistband of the sweatshirt. Cut off one sleeve and then use it as your guide to cut the other sleeve the same length.
Cut up the center of the sweatshirt and turn the collar into a deep V. Again, use the first side you cut as your guide to cut the same shape on the other side ;)
Guess what!? We’re going to use a piece of fabric from the pant leg to create the wrap of your sweatshirt. Waste not, want not.
Use about nine inches of fabric from your pant leg to create the wrap of the sweatshirt. Cut down the seams of the pant leg to create individual squares. Lay one square onto the sweatshirt with the edge of the square along the diagonal edge of the V neck. Trim the edge to make it straight and pin to the edge of the sweatshirt. Then sew. Follow the same steps for the other flap of the sweatshirt.
Trim the bottom edge, making sure it’s a straight line, fold over and stitch into the opposite side’s seam.
Follow the same steps for the front panel — fold over and pin to the opposite side’s seam. Then sew!
“Paparazzi, please. I’m just on my way to brunch with my sisters. Please just let me get in my fancy car in peace.”
Have you noticed that ascots are the new necklace? Well they are, and you can totally make your own with this DIY ascot tutorial.
Show us your project by tagging us on Instagram + using the hashtag #iamcreative!
DIY Production and Styling: Kelly Bryden
Model: Caitlin Silva
Photography: Brittany Griffin
Photo credit: TheStewartofNY/Splash News