Wedding season doesn’t stop once balmy beach days and backyard bashes cease to be — fall is an incredibly popular time of year for couples to say “I do.” Breathtaking foliage, fresh crisp air and tolerable temps are just a few of the many things that make the season ideal for throwing an unforgettable fete. If you thought summer was a tricky time of year to navigate black tie dress codes while keeping cool, fall will be a very welcome change. You can rock a slip dress or sleek jumpsuit without worrying about it being too hot or too cold — simply slip on an elevated outer layer (try a satin bomber jacket or embellished blazer, but leave that parka at home) and you’re good to go. You’ve officially entered into the formal-wear Goldilocks zone. Keep scrolling to see 15 of our fave foolproof pieces to wear to a wedding right now.
1. Intimately Love All Day Maxi Slip ($98): Step one: Locate the right undergarments (it’s worth the effort; trust us). Step two: Team with suede mules and glitzy drop earrings, then proceed to make jaws drop wherever you go. This lacy number is that good. When temps take a dip, toss on an evening jacket and let the good times roll.
2. ASOS Premium Floral Jacquard Jumpsuit ($113): Dresses not your thing? Try this elegant jacquard jumpsuit on for size. Styled alongside metallic block heels, a glitzy gold clutch and a lariat necklace, it has all the makings to earn you best-dressed-guest status.
3. J.Crew Dragonfly Crystal Earrings ($78): Leave home without a bit of bling? You wouldn’t dream of it! Especially with a pair of colorful and quirky earrings like these in your arsenal. Instantly taking tired LBDs and sophisticated separates into Insta-worthy territory, they’re the one detail you’ll reach for every single time.
4. Stelen Roslyn Pan in Gold ($128): If the thought of donning a dress makes you feel weak in the knees (and not in a good way) or you’re simply looking for a way to step up your “I do” attire routine, a pair of scene-stealing trousers is the way to go. Featuring high-shine fabric and a relaxed silhouette, these bombshell bottoms more than deliver. Team them with a printed blouse or silk cami, then go glam with the extras to achieve a more formal feel. Add in a tailored blazer or tuxedo jacket for a cool-girl take on a traditional suit.
5. Reformation Frossen Dress ($248): And swoon. Fall florals are always a good idea, especially when they come in the form of a sweeping maxi dress with an of-the-moment halter neckline. The only thing missing from this modern matrimonial look? Siren red lips and a sleek ‘do.
6. River Island Blue Velvet Block Heel Sandals ($96): While everyone else is sporting shimmery sandals with glam girl appeal, opt for these blue velvet block heels with flirty lace-up straps that are equal parts cutting-edge and throwback cool. For an effortless look, natural waves and berry lips are your best accessories.
7. Warehouse Fluted Hem Silk Maxi Dress ($205): Keep those good summertime vibes alive all season long with a sunny midi dress that was practically made for twirling out on the dance floor. Balance out the easy-breezy silhouette with playful platform kicks and a structured jacket featuring eye-catching embellishments.
8. Express Edition Gold Sequined And Beaded Jacket ($298): When you pull on this light-catching coverup, best believe all eyes will be on you. Achieve #squadgoals by sporting this sequined stunner with a black satin jumpsuit and embellished slides for your BFF’s reception and after partay.
9. Zara Crossover Velvet Dress ($50): Indulge your inner grunge goddess by taking this ’90s-inspired velvet dress out to play for your next autumnal event. Everything from the sassy slit and tassel-tied waist has us swooning hard. Round out your outfit with lace-up pumps and dangling statement earrings to send those double taps into overdrive.
10. Charles & Keith Oversized Knot Clutch ($59): A bag that balances form and function is always good in our book, and this bow-embellished beauty is no exception. The roomy clutch boasts enough space for all your party swag — tissues, lipstick, phone and, of course, fancy flats for the inevitable footwear change (nothing keeps you from busting a move).
11. New Revival Green Ruffled Bell Sleeve Dress ($122): When your go-to LBD starts to feel stale, call on this flirty ruffled frock to elevate your look in seconds. This emerald green option featuring cascading bell sleeves and a free-wheelin’ silhouette can be styled with metallic Mary Janes and statement studs for a modern nighttime look that slays.
12. Fashion Union Suit Pants in Tile Print Co-Ord ($52): Be it a swanky soiree at a historic estate or a formal fete at a hot new address, this tile print two-piece set can serve double duty for a multitude of affairs. Enlist a pair of strappy sandals and a bib necklace for a touch of added glitz.
13. Moulinette Soeurs Patrie Mixed Lace Top ($118): If you’re ditching the dress to do the separates thing, keep this cheerful blouse on standby. The ladylike lace reads wedding ready, especially when paired with an elegant pencil skirt or high-waisted trousers. It can even be layered under a slinky summer dress for an enviable fall look with street-style edge.
14. Mango Pleated Dress ($120): Don’t rule out your trusty LBD just yet. If a style rut has you in a panic, just breathe — with the right accessories, a killer look is only seconds away, so a scene-stealing base never hurts. This pretty pleated number is the perfect alternative to your standard A-line style with its flirty bow neck and swishy skirt. For an easy look with endless It-girl appeal, team with modern mismatched earrings and architectural block heels for a night of dancing and toasting the happy couple.
15. Zara Tulle Skirt ($50): Found it. Tulle is typically the bride’s thing, but this fun khaki-colored skirt was made with fashionable wedding guests in mind (or at least, that’s how we’re spinning it — we just can’t resist). Dress it up with a sleeveless bow neck blouse and elegant ankle strap heels or go all-out glam with a sequin-studded top and shimmery pumps.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.