That impeccable sense of style? You’ve been fine tuning it for years, but let’s be real — finding your sartorial groove isn’t all the result of trial and error. We like to think there’s such a thing as good style genes — and they don’t just come from Mom’s side of the family. When it comes to vestiary matters, Dad knows what’s up, and some of your most prized pieces just might have come from his closet (borrowed, of course) — button-down shirts, oversized sweaters, utility jackets and vintage t-shirts. And that’s just for starters. Your appreciation for fine-tailored clothes and the magic of the perfect blazer just might be the result of his influence too. By now you’ve mastered the art of boy-meets-girl dressing for the colder months, but the onset of summer doesn’t have to mean swapping out your androgynous threads for frilly frocks and feminine tops that are so not you. These 21 RN summer style essentials are ready to take on the heat in a totally Dad-approved fashion.
1. COS Shirt Dress With Waist Tie ($99): When your everyday button-down starts to feel borderline blasé, whip out this tie-front number for a mogul-in-the-making look that gets it right every time. Team it with flatform Oxfords and an oversized watch for on-the-job #OOTD perfection.
2. Whistles Sleeveless Tailored Jacket ($320): With sizzlin’ temps in the forecast, a tried-and-true blazer is totally out of the question (hot and sweaty isn’t exactly the look you’re going for). Swap out your go-to topper for a sleeveless version that will keep you calm, cool and collected during your commute and at your cubicle.
3. Kelsi Dagger Brooklyn Ally Slingbacks ($130): Behind every office MVP is a killer pair of shoes that’s polished and practical. These low-lying wedges bring their A-game in the style department with metallic leather and an of-the-moment silhouette, while the cushy sole and manageable lift make running around town totally easy.
4. River Island Navy Print Skinny Scarf ($20): Ties are the epitome of polish, but if you’re not ready to don a full-on cravat, why not try a skinny scarf on for size? Straddling the line between masculine and feminine, it’s guaranteed to add a note of glamour to any office ensemble.
5. Vix Straw Baseball Cap ($58): Stints at the beach and baseball games call for a stylish cap that can throw some serious shade. Embrace summertime vibes to the fullest with a straw interpretation of a classic cap that will put your standard fedora or floppy hat to shame.
6. Zara City Bag With Adjustable Handle ($70): Every boss lady needs a chic place to stash all of her work-week swag, and this structured tote is ready to rise to the challenge. The roomy interior has plenty of space for all the essentials (laptop, commuting shoes and snacks), while the sleek, minimalist styling will earn you best-dressed employee status like that.
7. Mother Denim Vagabond Crop ($228): Barbecues, beach bonfires and glamping adventures call for laid-back denim that knows how to hang. Between the extra slouchy vibes and distressed detailing, this pair of boyfriend jeans is the epitome of laid-back cool. Style it alongside block heels, a silk cami and dazzling drop earrings for GNO or drinks on the terrace.
8. Mango Straight Striped Trousers ($80): Plain-ol’ pinstripes get a major upgrade this season with a wide-leg silhouette that screams It girl in training. Proceed to style with mock neck tops and embellished loafers for an Insta-worthy outfit that’s the epitome of sophistication.
9. Analog Watch Co. Black Marble Watch With Hexagon Body ($300): Sorry, ladies — an iPhone doesn’t count as an actual timepiece. This sculptural stunner makes a major argument for kickin’ it old school with its geometric design and luxe marble face. Not to mention, it will keep you on schedule long after your battery runs out of juice.
10. Jeffrey Campbell Apfel-TSL ($120): Who doesn’t love a lazy-girl style hack? On mornings when you just can’t even, enlist the help of these slide-on steppers that will instantly lend a polished edge to any one-and-done piece in your closet. Hit snooze too many times? Style ‘em alongside a streamlined jumpsuit and choker necklace for a professional look in seconds.
11. Fred Perry Boxy Shirt With Color Block ($110): Even the most tried-and-true jeans-and-tee routine needs updating every now and again, and this sporty shirt is just the piece to send your off-duty attire into overdrive. Redefine festival dressing by tucking it into a button-front skirt, then pairing with strappy clogs and round sunnies for a throwback getup with sports-chic appeal.
12. Cameo Cedele Sleeveless Trench ($208): Update your trusty trench for warmer temps in this sleeveless number with endless wear-anywhere appeal. Take jeans and tanks to the next level or amp up the polish on an already-elegant office-ready #OOTD.
13. Zara Horizontal Striped Culottes ($50): Say sayonara to snoozy black trousers — these striped culottes are ready to take on your workday in style. Tedious to-dos will seem a lot more bearable when you bust these bad boys out with a cold-shoulder top and runway-ready pointed-toe mules.
14. Loeffler Randall Willa Cut-Out Oxford ($250): These aren’t your average Oxfords. Equipped with cutouts that are ready for balmy summer days and dotted calf hair uppers that read lady about town, these classically cool steppers are what your arsenal of swingy summer dresses and retro shorts have been waiting for.
15. C/meo Collective Stay Cool Pinstripe Pants ($160) and Top ($170): Send those standard suiting separates packing — you’re going to need a bit of extra closet space for this OMG-worthy pairing. Hit remix on your work-week repertoire by styling this winning combo with heeled glove shoes and tasseled ear jackets. #nailedit
16. Free People Rebel Rebel Printed Skinny Scarf ($20): This tie-inspired scarf poses endless styling possibilities for both on- and off-duty ensembles. Tie it around your neck with a tailored jumpsuit and topknot for major borrowed-from-the-boys vibes, or rock it as a belt around a simple shift dress for happy hour with the girls.
17. Opening Ceremony Jourdena Stripe Leather Slide Sandals ($195): Take an easy-luxe approach to your beach-to-street routine in crisscross sandals with undeniable athleisure flair. Put an unexpected spin on a night-out look by tossing them on with a jacquard midi skirt, off-the-shoulder top and box clutch, or play it cool with a no-frills t-shirt dress and leather backpack.
18. M.i.h. Jeans Skinny Boyfriend Tomboy Jean ($235): No summer capsule wardrobe is complete without at least one pair of white jeans taking up residence in your closet. From wine tastings to gallery openings and everything in between, they’re the key to endless laid-back outfits with a sophisticated feel.
19. 6397 Oversized Blazer ($273): Casual Friday, here you come. Dial down the fuss factor any day of the week with a dark chambray blazer that’s tailored enough to wear at the office and effortless enough to whip out on the weekend with vintage tees. For an on-point day-to-night look that comes together fast, layer it over a graphic maxi dress, heels and a statement pendant necklace.
20. Madewell White Cotton Courier Shirt ($65): An oversized button-down will never steer you wrong. This is one of those more-bang-for-your-buck kind of pieces, so if you haven’t added one to your anytime arsenal, you best be picking one up stat.
21. ASOS Denim Easy Boyfriend Shorts in Crocus Lightwash ($46): As the mercury starts to rise, swap out your go-to pair of jeans for denim boyfriend shorts that are all about keepin’ it cool. Channel your inner lazy girl with a sleeveless sweatshirt, Birkenstocks and a bright crossbody bag for running errands or chillin’ in the park.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.