It’s time to hit the books! Whether your squad spent the summer filling up on summer BBQ food, lounging by the pool with trendy pool floats and rosé slushies or pretending to be kids again at an adult summer camp, there’s nothing that makes the back-to-school transition easier than being armed with all of the It-girl trends of the moment. Once you’ve picked up all the on-trend essentials, you can focus on dealing with the sadness that is the end-of-summer season. From statement-making desk supplies to food-themed tech accessories, we’ve rounded up our top 10 trends to get everyone ready for back to school.
1. Statement-Making Desk Accessories: No more wasting valuable desk space with anything that doesn’t add instant glam. Gifting a statement-making desk accessory is the perfect balance of both practical and pretty. Try this Dots and Feelings Stapler ($18), Z Gallerie Acrylic Desk Accessories ($29) or a mint green Nate Berkus Tabletop File Holder ($13) for a chic AF workspace.
2. Dorm Rooms in a Box: This is a total game changer! Help check off some major back-to-school decorating needs with the room-in-a-box trend. Try the one-and-done Reflect Queen Boxed Room ($398) (we’re swooning hard over the indigo option), or let them pick and choose the pieces they still need with Dormify (prices range). Can you say #dormgoals?
3. Not-So-Basic Writing Utensils: Looking for just a little something to gift the whole squad before heading off to school? Try the totally affordable and on point (get what we did there?) Ban.do Compliment Pencil Set ($10), or gift each gal a different colored Poppin Signature Ballpoint Pen Pack ($12).
4. Food-Themed Tech Accessories: For those with both a playful and foodie side, try a food-themed tech accessory. A Nasty Gal Wildflower Avocado iPhone Case ($40), adventura Lime Fruit Laptop Skins ($29) or Sonix Tropicana iPhone Case ($35) will help get them through all those late-night library cram sessions junk-food free. The only thing we can think that might be better? Scratch and sniff!
5. STICKERS: Going hand-in-hand with the latest ’90s fashion trends, the sticker craze will make anyone feel like a kid again. Gift your long-time gal pal the ModCloth Everything Your Art Desires Sticker Book ($13), the Urban Outfitters Emoji Sticker Sheet Set ($12) or these Skinnydip Sequin Bananas and Cherry Hearts Stickers ($16), and remind them of your Lisa Frank glory days.
6. Gold Office Chairs: Whether she’s hitting the books or workin’ on her latest side hustle, a statement-making desk chair is an investment that will take her from student to #girlboss in no time. The gold and white look is where it’s at this year. For the faux-leather lover, try the Rachel George Vegan Gold Office Chair ($295), or help them channel their inner boss lady with this Meelano Mid-Back Office Chair ($119).
7. Decorative Clips + Pins: It’s no longer just the always-on-display tape dispensers and staplers that are getting stylish upgrades — even the little guys in the office supplies space now have pretty counterparts. These Paper Source Mini Foil Message Binder Clips ($6, set of six) or Threshold Owl Push Pins ($4) are on top of our #deskgoals list this year.
8. Bento Box Lunch Boxes: Gift a lunch box they will actually want to tote around all day. These playfully colored bento boxes are the happiest eco-chic solution to the days of brown bag boring-ness. For the girl on the go, gift an Urban Outfitters Small Collapsible Bento Box ($16) or go big with the Double Bento Box ($36).
9. Grown-Up Grunge: All of our favorite #instababes are rockin’ the ‘90s grunge look right now. From this Nasty Gal What a Patch Bomber Jacket ($88) to an Urban Outfitters Tattoo Choker Necklace to back-in-the-spotlight Calvin Klein Underwear Thongs ($30), it’s all about the ‘90s. This look is perfectly fitting for those late-night library cram sessions and early morning classes.
10. Foldover Backpacks: The perfect backpack can take them from morning spin to afternoon class to #iwokeuplikethis sleepovers with way less shoulder strain than that go-to tote. Try the blogger-approved foldover backpack trend to add instant campus style to your #ootd. We’re digging the splurge-worthy Rag and Bone Pilot Backpack ($695) and the perfectly textured ASOS Suede and Leather Knot Detail Backpack ($88).
Browse our Brit + Co Pinterest boards for loads of back-to-school inspo this season!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.