30th Birthday Travel Destinations for the Gal With Wanderlust
Turning the big 3-O is kind of a huge deal, so it’s no surprise that you’re all about making your 30th birthday unforgettable. And if you have a travel-hungry spirit, that means you’ll go just about anywhere, from scuba diving in Thailand to wandering the stone streets of Paris. So book that vacation RN and celebrate the start of a new chapter with a fun adventure. Scroll on down to find the *perf* destination for your wanderlust-approved birthday and get to trip planning.
1. The Grand Canyon, United States of America: Keep your travels local by taking a trip to one of the US’s geographical treasures: the Grand Canyon.
2. The Bolivian Salt Flats, South Africa: Mirror, mirror on the… water? Take a trip down south — to South Africa, that is — and witness the pristine image of the world’s largest salt flats.
3. Moai, Easter Island: This tiny island in the South Pacific is filled with mystery. The production and transportation of the approximately 1,000 giant statues built out of volcanic rock are, to this day, considered a world marvel. Explore the island on horseback for a truly unique way to celebrate your 30th year.
4. Pamukkale, Turkey: Up the drama of your 30th bash by heading to a thermal pool that’s out of this world. Literally “Cotton Castle” in Turkish, Pamukkale is also a stunning UNESCO World Heritage Site (Pro tip: Stay overnight in the village to avoid the crowds that arrive in the afternoon).
5. Festival of Light, Thailand: Community is the cornerstone of every great civilization. Participate in the Festival of Lights (or Diwali), usually in mid November, as a chance to not only see, but share an experience with a local community.
6. Myanmar, Burma: Take a spiritual approach to your travels by heading to East Asia and visit Myanmar’s breathtaking temples. What better way to get the most out of this already gorgeous view than by seeing it from hot air balloon? Time your balloon ride for dawn or dusk to snap some double-tap-worthy shots of Bagan’s pagodas.
7. Cairo, Egypt: Spent a lifetime puzzled by the mystery of Giza’s Pyramids? See this breath-stealing sight for yourself by heading to Cairo. Standing for over 4,500 years, the pyramids are the oldest surviving wonder of the ancient world.
8. Plitvice Lakes National Park, Croatia: Magical waterfalls and cascades connect 16 lakes, giving this stunning Croatian view. This one’s for the birthday hikers, as it takes about six hours to explore the entire park on foot.
9. The Northern Lights, Iceland: The dazzling Northern Lights is a sight that should be on everyone’s bucket list, and Iceland’s highlands are the perfect place to witness the beautiful colors of this natural phenomenon. Plan your trip between late August and end of April, and cross your fingers for a cool, crisp night to catch the best view.
Tokyo, JapanTake a leap (a la Shoshanna from Girls) and head to Tokyo for the start of this new phase in your life. With flawless Harajuku fashion, adorable cat cafes AND amazing cuisine, you’ll definitely want to stay for more than just a week.
12. The Great Wall of China, Huairou: A great birthday deserves a Great Wall. The Jinshanling section in particular is two and a half hours from Beijing, one of the best preserved parts of the 5,500-mile wall and less crowded than other, more touristy stretches. Lace up those hiking boots and prepare to walk back in time for this epic birthday trip.
13. Venice, Italy: That’s amore. Add a little romance to your Bday getaway by taking a gondola ride down the canals of Venice.
14. Petra, Jordan: This desert vacay kicks Coachella to the curb. Discover Petra and the pink sandstone cliffs of Jordan for a trip that’s not only rich in history, but undoubtedly a visual treat.
15. Santorini, Greece: Travel to Santorini and gaze upon one of the most beautiful sunsets on the planet (on a nightly basis!) from its volcanic beaches. Can you think of a better way to turn 30 than while watching the sun set over the Aegean Sea, glass of wine in hand?
16. Bora Bora, French Polynesia: While adventure-seeking trips can be fun, tropical vacays are more your speed. So take a load off and sip cocktails by the beach in an ultra relaxing Bora Bora getaway.
17. Rome, Italy: When it comes to eat, pray, love, you’re all about the EAT! Holiday in Rome (see what we did there?) for a vacay that’s all about indulging in some mouthwatering tastes.
18. The Berlin Wall, Germany: Calling all history junkies! Get a dose of both art AND history by heading to the East Side Gallery of the Berlin Wall, where you can see murals painted by international artists after most of the wall was brought down in 1989.
19. Antelope Canyon, Arizona: This birthday, take some time to get in tune with nature. After passing the epic Grand Canyon, make your way to Antelope Canyon and witness the elegance of this geological beauty, a sacred site for the Navajo. The changing light between seasons brings different colors to the sandstone walls — no matter when you go, you’re gonna need some space on your camera roll.
20. Keukenhof Gardens, Amsterdam: Enter a world of color in Amsterdam’s famous Keukenhof Gardens. With 79 acres and tulips as far as the eye can see, you’ll feel like Alice walking into Wonderland.
21. Zhangye, China: Surrealism lives in this technicolor dream. Witness the true, awe-inspiring power of nature by making your way down to China to see the Danxia Landform.
22. Agra, India: You haven’t seen it all ’til you’ve seen the Taj Mahal! Take a gander at this architectural king by visiting the world’s most stunning mausoleum, in all of its ivory-white glory.
23. Ubud, Bali: Entering your 30s is an ideal time to be reborn in Ubud’s holy spring water. After pampering yourself in one of Asia’s top spa destinations, be sure to visit Bali’s Pura Taman Saraswati Temple, which honors the Hindu goddess of knowledge and arts.
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)