The end of summer and beginning of fall is the time for sunshine and suspense, and there are still a few weeks to get your fix of both. If you’re looking for the ultimate suspense TBR (to be read) pile, here’s a stack of five new books to add to your thriller-loving life ASAP.
1. A Game of Ghosts by John Connolly ($27): Monsters, criminal empires, homicide investigations, and criminally spooky plot twists — this thriller has it all. A supernatural suspense that will captivate your imagination from page one until long after the last page is turned, A Game of Ghosts needs to be on your bookshelf soonest.
2. The Lying Game by Ruth Ware ($27): One woman’s morning walk turns into horror when her dog discovers something sinister in the water, and three friends are brought together for a chilling ride. If you’re still freaked out over The Woman in Cabin 10, you won’t be able to put down the next dose of brilliance from the same bestselling author.
3. Venetian Blood by Christine Evelyn Volker ($17): Forget gondolas and gelato — the main character in this book is accused of murdering a count in Venice and must fight to prove her innocence while battling a dark foe determined to destroy her. It’s no typical Europe trip, but readers will get lost in every delicious and addictive word.
4. Every Last Lie by Mary Kubica ($27): Clara Solberg is convinced her husband’s untimely death (and the horrific car crash that caused it) is much more than meets the eye — and she is right. A mesmerizing scavenger hunt brimming with secrets, psychological intrigue, and twisted tales of deceit, Every Last Lie will leave every reader spooked by their own domestic life.
5. A Stranger in the House by Shari Lapena ($26): Mysterious car accidents, lost memory, deep-rooted secrets, and a picture-perfect life that is much more beyond the shiny veneer make up a domestic thriller every reader needs to indulge in as the seasons change. (It’ll keep your adrenaline pumping well into autumn.)