Summer may be winding down, but it’s far from over. Seeing as to how we’ve still got at least a month’s worth of humidity to endure, some serious outfit magic will be in order. But what’s a fashion girl to do when she’s nearly exhausted her capsule wardrobe of vintage Levi’s, carefree camis, and designer pool slides? Keep scrolling for 14 Instababe-tested style hacks to breathe new life into your midsummer wardrobe. We’re talking, that new NEW.
1. Dress like you’re on a never-ending holiday. Julia Engel of Gal Meets Glam is onto something. You need not be jet-setting off to the south of France or Charleston to maintain an out-of-office mentality once vacay is over. Cue the rotation of silky tie-front blouses, striped linen trousers, and retro sunnies that make you look and feel like a Parisian girl. Final step: Fasten a silk scarf to your ponytail for a little extra pep in your step.
2. Colorful sunnies FTW! Don’t be a bore! When it comes to accessories, you won’t want to be armed without a pair of standout shades. Blogger babe Courtney Quinn gets it right with her bubblegum pink sunglasses — her hot chili pepper dress is pretty bomb too.
3. Do the head-to-toe yellow thang. Sunshine yellow has been positioned as one of the must-wear hues of the season, and now we can see why. Start small with citrusy yellow lemon drop earrings or go all in like this Instababe with a canary yellow co-ord (or a mellow yellow-hued maxi — swipe through) that radiates good vibes.
4. Sneaks + dress = sporty girl. Fall aficionados, we’re about to do some foreshadowing for what’s to come. One word: athluxury. All the It girls are doing it, and they’re honestly not showing any sign of slowing down. Exhibit A: Here’s a lewk to copy from head to toe — this Instababe’s got the right idea with her classic Vejas trainers and ultra-femme empire-waist dress.
5. Style a cute summer top with dainty necklaces. You know all those barely there halters, crops, and tube tops you’ve been wearing on repeat since May 1 with your go-to denim cutoffs? Yeah, it’s about time they received an update. Toss on a slew of dainty layered necklaces, and voila, suddenly they’re new again.
6. A snap-worthy gingham top isn’t up for debate. From Reese Witherspoon to your favorite style influencers, gingham is one summer print that’s not going anywhere. Keep the Sunday scaries away by styling a flouncy gingham off-the-shoulder top with frayed hem shorts and a Panama hat for an eternally chic summer uniform.
7. Rock your bandeau bikini top beyond the beach. Reach beach bum for life status now or forever hold your peace. Whether you’re hanging by the shore, strolling the boardwalk, or riding around with the convertible top down, nothing says “Vamos a la playa” like a scallop bandeau bikini top teamed with an off-the-clock denim jacket.
8. Snag the It bag of the season while it’s still haute. LAST CALL, people! It’s not too late to snag yourself a Cult Gaia bamboo bag while it’s still considered a hot entity. Take it from Jacey Duprie of Damsel in Dior — who styles it flawlessly, BTW — you won’t find a more versatile clutch to elevate your daytime or nighttime look.
9. Wear a shorts + blazer co-ord to the boardroom. Ditch the predictable (and ill-fitting) pantsuits for a youthful shorts and blazer combo that reads HBIC-roaming-about-the-city. Add a dainty blouse, some tough-girl Chelsea boots, and a set of double hoops for an ensemble that successfully mixes business with pleasure.
10. Test-drive a romper + jumpsuit hybrid. Summer Fridays are not only an excuse to escape work early (insert praise hands emoji), but happy hour attire reigns supreme. Beat the heat with this romper-turned-jumpsuit hybrid that’s SO ready for a rooftop cocktail soiree or rompin’ around the city (get it?). Pssst: We’re smitten with the mauve hue too.
11. All white, ‘cause summer’s in session. While we’d totally condone wearing white post-Labor Day, summer’s literally THE time to reach for your dainty LWDs, billowy white blouses, and crisp white jeans. Don’t hang up your tennis shoes just yet — get on Serena Williams’ level with a pleated tennis dress, white mod sunnies, and athletic trainers. Match point.
12. Team a bodysuit (or open back one-piece) with a skirt. The Sartorialist’s fashion director Jenny Walton is bringing sexy back with her latest style hack. Breathe new life into a bodysuit (or sultry one-piece) by tossing it on with a swishy maxi skirt for a look that’s a cross between the Hamptons and West Village.
13. Fancy trousers + OTS top. Perky trousers, where you at? Liv of What Olivia Did shows us how it’s done with her masterful color coordination skills. Her incorporation of orange-dominant striped trousers, a shoulder-baring top, and matching clementine mules makes us want to ditch our wardrobe of neutrals STAT.
14. Channel your inner salsa dancer emoji with a red dress. Does this babe look HOT or what? Take it there with a flowy LRD (little red dress) that will hold you down for a summer block party or rooftop sips. Extra fierce — like sriracha sauce-level fierce — has never looked so dang good.
Which of these midsummer wardrobe hacks will you be test-driving? Follow us on Pinterest for more summer style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.