It’s Official — The ’80s Are Back Thanks to These Fashion Essentials
The ‘90s has had plenty of time in the spotlight, and now it’s time to turn your attention to yet another fashionable decade: the ’80s. This super glam era, dominated by daytime metallics, tongue-in-cheek graphics and neon overload, will have you itching to pull together a capsule wardrobe. (Pssst: Madonna-inspired tutus, leg warmers and scrunchies may or may not be involved.) With the exception of exaggerated shoulders (hard pass), we’ve uncovered 26 double-tap-worthy style essentials. If you ask us, all the costume jewelry and over-the-top — but TOTALLY necessary — add-ons will be a nice change of pace from the past year’s prevailing grunge aesthetic.
1. Wildfox Racing Stripe Ayala Pants ($154): Um, rainbow racing stripes? YAS, please.
2. Marc Jacobs Paradise Tee ($175): Doesn’t this embellished tee just make you want to dance with somebody? Cue the Whitney Houston tunes and slip on a frothy pink tutu — just add some tough-girl biker boots and a denim jacket for a pretty-in-pink spin.
3. Lazy Oaf Scribble Spot Dress ($100): Quirky doesn’t even begin to cut it when describing this multi-colored frock. Pair alongside towering suede creepers, fishnet tights and a red beret (’cause why not?) for instant style cred.
4. ASOS Tall Night Silver ’80s Ruffle Mini Dress ($88): Proceed to channel your inner ‘80s prom queen with this frilly metallic dress that calls for ankle-strap steppers and oversized hoops. For maximum impact, glittery eyeshadow and a neon color-block ski jacket wouldn’t hurt either.
5. UNIF Giggle Top ($88): We love the name and fancy the rainbow smileys even more. A neon coral anorak, an electric yellow cross-body bag and extra large hoops will have you spreading happiness and stopping traffic wherever you go. How could you say no to that?
9. Samantha Pleet Bite Me Bodysuit ($159): Wear this kitschy bodysuit to Jazzercise or take it out for a spin on the town with your fave embroidered jeans. Either way, the fangs embroidery is guaranteed to slayyy on the streets.
11. Zara Cropped Sweatshirt With Text ($23): From here on out, let your clothes do ALL the talking. Cropped and ready to mingle, it’ll also serve as the ultimate conversation starter when hanging by the watercooler. Just sayin’.
12. Metallica Nibbled Tee by And Finally ($50): This distressed Metallica tee is designed for the groupie in all of us. You know what’s missing, right? A swishy metallic pleat skirt and Crayola-bright plastic hoop earrings will have you rockin’ out in no time.
13. Silence + Noise Metallic Runner Short ($49): This just in: Once you work out in metallic runner shorts, plain ol’ track pants simply won’t do. (But then again, who’s to say these bad boys have to be restricted to the gym?) For an extra pep in your step, an iridescent windbreaker and retro LA Gear sneaks will absolutely be in order.
15. Vans Denim Belt Bag ($25): Festival season came early for the girl-on-the-go with the ‘80s sensibilities to match. No longer restricted to the mom crowd, this denim belt bag featuring playful patches will accompany you on a women’s rights march or a trip to the flea market.
17. H&M Ruffled Blouse ($50): OTT ruffles? Check. Stand-up collar? Check. Eccentric, ‘80s-inspired print? Triple check. If this billowy blouse doesn’t read HBIC, then we don’t know what does. Round out your throwback look with a patent leather skirt, metallic silver ankle boots and big hair.
18. Silence + Noise Ally Neon Chunky Cardigan ($98): Let’s hear it for ‘80s-inspired fluorescents that can be spotted at least a mile away. The hot pink chunky knit cardigan will have you reaching for an off-the-shoulder sweatshirt and high-performance leggings just in time for barre. Come after-hours, a sequined slip dress will be non-negotiable.
19. Nasty Gal Ursula Hoop Earrings ($18): Rad hoops, where you at? These gold, textured earrings will straight-up slay at a black tie gala or an upcoming GNO. All that’s missing is a modern-day power suit for a getup that reads ‘80s-Hollywood-starlet-in-the-making.
22. Nasty Gal Laser Kitten Triangle Squiggle Pin Set ($12): You had us at ‘80s-inspired triangle squiggle pins. Take one guess as to how we’ll be styling these babies. Hint, hint: A vintage Levis denim jacket may be included for a too-cool-for-school vibe.
25. UNIF Comet Skirt ($135): For an entrance that’s like “whoa,” DO team this glitter-flecked mini with a sheer top and celestial-inspired accessories. Add a bright puffer vest, turquoise tights and light-up kicks for a getup that gives new meaning to the phrase “to the moon and back.” Style on, babe.