15 Things All Adrenaline Junkies Should Do in Their Lifetime
Perhaps you know the feeling all too well: Your heart is racing, your palms are sweaty and you are so freakin’ excited. No, you aren’t about to put on that graduation cap, get married, announce you’re preggo or any of the other life-changing events that can come your way. That high is just a typical feeling in the world of adrenaline junkies. These thrill-seekers are often addicted to the rush of excitement, and we can’t really blame them. To help fuel said addiction, we found 15 jaw-dropping, curse-inducing (sorry, Mom) activities around the world for all you adrenaline junkies out there. Buckle up; you’re in for a wild ride.
1. Paraglide in Interlaken, Switzerland: Interlaken is practically the capital of all things adrenaline, so of course this breathtaking city made the list. Paraglide your way through the jaw-dropping Jungfrau region of Switzerland to feel like a bird. (Photo via Aurelio Scetta / EyeEm/ Getty)
2. Become Weightless in Vienna, Virginia: Who hasn’t wanted to float around in space? Well, now’s your chance without going all intergalactic. At Space Adventures, you’ll board a specially modified Boeing 727. Once in the air, the plane dips and arcs its way to a weightless environment through movements called parabolas. Each series of dips and arcs takes 10 miles of airspace to perform, during which you get to float on and have a blast.
3. Wade in Devil’s Pool at Victoria Falls in Livingstone, Africa: Victoria Falls is the largest waterfall in the world, so that alone is worth the trip. But if you want to take things up a notch, head to Devil’s Pool. When the water levels are just right (usually between September and December) it forms a lovely rock barrier between you and the edge of a massive waterfall. (Photo via Westend61/ Getty)
4. Zorb in Rotorua, New Zealand: Truly a ball of fun, going zorbing is an experience like no other. Tossing and turning in what can only be described as a giant hamster ball, you’ll go over hills and through a fun-filled course. The best part? The water inside the ball that’ll make you slip and slide with every turn.
5. Hike the Most Dangerous Trail in the World on Mount Huashan, China: This hike is definitely not for those with a fear of heights. But if you’re an adrenaline junkie, that concept doesn’t exist. Labeled as one of the most dangerous hikes in the world, Mount Huashan features steep staircases, vertical ascents and some boards bolted into the mountainside. NBD, right? (Photo via Travel China Guide)
6. Cage Dive With Crocs in Darwin City, Australia: Dubbed the Cage of Death, on this adventure you and a friend can go face to face with some of Australia’s largest salt water crocs. The glass enclosure will make you forget that you’re actually in a cage, fueling that adrenaline rush of yours to the fullest.
7. Enjoy Dinner in the Sky: Talk about dinner with a view. Starting in Belgium, Dinner in the Sky has now spread to over 40 countries and is becoming all the rage. Imagine having an amazing dinner as you float high above gorgeous cities like Paris, Milan and Brussels. Don’t worry, you’re buckled in — but you can dangle your feet. In fact, we totally encourage it. (Photo via Sean Gallup/ Getty)
8. Wing Walk in Gloucestershire, England: Want to catch some major air? Wing walking is the answer. You’ll be taught by a team of wing-walking pros and then strapped to, that’s right, the wing of a plane. Then the pilot will work their magic in getting your heart rate up. Your daredevil wish is their command.
9. Bike Death’s Road in La Paz, Bolivia: The name of this road surely says it all. This 40-mile ride is inhabited by thrill-seeking cyclists on the daily. The 11,000-foot decent and narrow road with sheer drops — sans guardrails in most places — is the ultimate rush. (Photo via Tim Clayton – Corbis/ Getty)
10. Ride the World’s Steepest Roller Coaster in Fujiyoshida, Japan: Looking for a little speed in your life? Venture over to Fuji-Q Highland, an amusement park in Japan and home to the world’s steepest roller coaster, named Takabisha. This roller coaster uses launch motors to blast cars from 0 to 62 miles per hour in two seconds flat. It also holds the record for the highest angle of descent (121 degrees). And that view is definitely something to scream about. (Photo via Yamaguchi Haruyoshi/ Getty)
11. Walk on Water in the Florida Keys: Gaining in adrenaline popularity, jetpacks are bursting onto the scene. You’ll feel just like some sort of cool superhero as you float above the crystal-clear waters of the Florida Keys. (Photo viaGabriel-m/ Getty)
12. Canyon Swing in Queenstown, New Zealand: If bungee jumping isn’t your thing, try the equally as awesome/less jerky canyon swing. You can hit up the world’s highest canyon swing in another adrenaline junkie capital: Queenstown, New Zealand. You’ll free fall for almost 200 feet and then swing out into the gorgeous Shotover Canyon. Oh, and you can pick from over 70 different type of jumps. Want to be strapped to a chair? You got it. (Photo via Lisa Wiltse / Getty)
13. Slide Down the World’s Tallest Water Slide in Kansas City, Kansas: This isn’t like the water slides of your youth. That is, unless you went down a slide that dropped 168 feet straight down and shot you back up only to drop you again 50 more feet. Totally your standard water slide, right?
14. Sky Dive from 20,000 Feet Up in Hawaii: Of course skydiving made the list. But this isn’t your standard jump. Take skydiving to new heights (literally) and do a H.A.L.O jump, where you’ll leap out at 20,000 feet. Yes, you read that number correctly. At that altitude, temperatures can be -25 degrees, not taking into account the windchill, as you reach up to speeds of 120 mph. (Photo via WADA/ Getty)
15. Bungee Jump Off Macau Tower in China: This tower is home to the highest bungee jump in the world (764 feet, to be exact). You can choose to take the plunge during the day or at night and then brag to all your friends about what an adrenaline junkie you are. (Photo via AJ Hackett Macau Tower)
What has given you the biggest adrenaline high? Tell us in the comments below.
(Feature photo via The Original Alpin Raft)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.