9 Adventurous Mother’s Day Getaways at Home and Around the Globe
For mother-daughter pairs who’ve caught the travel bug, there’s no better time to hit the road than on Mother’s Day itself. Both in the States and around the world, there are tons of places to take in culture while exploring a new locale. (And don’t worry, culture isn’t exclusive of gorgeous beachside towns.) Here are nine options that will satisfy even the most adventurous duo.
1. Sonoma, CA: Is there ever a bad time to visit wine country? We think not. The El Dorado offers beautiful rooms, amazing food, and perfect proximity to lots of wineries. Speaking of wineries, check out the Chateau St. Jean, the Patz & Hall tasting room, and Jordan Winery.
2. Kauai, HI: Kauai is known as Hawaii’s garden island — which is no surprise, because it’s absolutely gorgeous and laid-back enough to make it a perfect vacation for mom-daughter duos. Stay at either the Waimea Plantation Cottages for a homey feel or the Sheraton Kauai for a more luxurious beachside experience. Make sure to take a helicopter tour and check out the farm at Kauai Coffee. After your adventures, head over to Gaylord’s Restaurant for the perfect mai tai.
3. Mykonos, Greece: Culture or beach? No one should have to make that decision — especially on Mother’s Day — and Greece is the perfect place to experience both. Spend half of the trip on the beach and half in town for a well-rounded experience. The Mykonos No. 5 Villas give stunning panoramic views of both.
4. Highlands, NC: The town of Highlands will steal hearts with its mountain views, boutique shopping, and culinary scene. Stay at Old Edwards Inn & Spa, and make sure to check out the seasonal food options at the on-site farm-to-table restaurant Madison’s.
5. The Grand Canyon, AZ: Glamping is a great way to experience the outdoors without sacrificing modern luxuries. Under Canvas offers tents equipped not only with running water but with incredibly comfortable beds, making it the perfect choice for people who love the outdoors almost as much as they love the comforts of home. (Photo via Under Canvas)
6. Istanbul, Turkey: Istanbul is full of culture, shopping, and sites to explore. The Four Seasons Istanbul at the Bosphorus is a restored 19th-century Ottoman palace located on the shores of the Bosphorus, the strait that connects the Black Sea with the Sea of Marmara. Experience stunning views and get up close and personal with history at the Grand Bazaar and the Hagia Sophia Museum.
7. Cartagena, Columbia: Cartagena is known for its gorgeous cobblestone streets, which pair perfectly with its pristine beaches. Stay at Hotel Casa San Augustin, a gorgeous boutique hotel that combines three gorgeous 18th-century houses. Check out the restaurant Carmen for delicious food, as well as a rooftop or terrace dining experience.
8. Washington, DC: If exploring museums and monuments sounds exciting, DC is the perfect getaway choice. Stay at the InterContinental at The Wharf for a luxurious hotel that overlooks the cutest neighborhood. It also hosts Michelin-listed Kith/Kin — make sure to order the Brussels sprouts or the cucumber and avocado salad.
9. Dubai, United Arab Emirates: Stay at the Palazzo Versace Dubai and pay a visit to its jazz club, which is owned and booked by the legendary Quincy Jones himself. Or if you’d prefer to be on a beach, Nikki Beach Dubai is sleek and gorgeous, and it even offers ocean-facing rooms with private pools. Dubai is not just a city of shopping and brunch (though both hotels offer amazing ones). Make sure to explore the gold and spice souks in old Dubai, and top things off with a visit to the Dubai Frame, which separates the old and new parts of the city.
(Photo via Getty)
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.